trailer screw from hell

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to save someone a trip all over town to find a driver for this screw

satanscrews.jpg

you're not going to find them at Home Depot, Mills Fleet, Northern tool, blah blah blah
;:;banghead

maybe NAPA or automotive or trailer place? at that point I gave up. I would have called around - but questions about anything past store hours seems to confuse anyone who works at these stores

Anywho... it's called a double-square and they're designed to quickly register in a #2 square drive so the manufacturer can net $15 more profit on the installation of the 2000 screws used to put the paneling on the walls

the problem is that later on - you're removing them and you have a >50% chance of stripping them unless you use a spanky new square drive with keen edges - IF you've even figured out the square drive approach

I just ordered some rare-to-find double-square driver bits from Amazon (next day free)

- - - Updated - - -

if I saved someone else from a two hour %$#@#$$%$ trip around their town it was worth this post

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This explains why i've been looking for the "special size" torx bit that didn't come in any of my sets. I was going to check with Vistos next time I get close.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dont feel bad guy. I went through this about 6-7 years ago. Drove around town looking for that bit. It was like I was speaking pig latin when I asked people. Never did figure out the name of the bit but did find out that a #2 square works.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
A quality square drive works fine. I've installed and pulled thousands of those. Powder coated ones can be trickier but plain zinc plated and a good square works fine.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A quality square drive works fine. I've installed and pulled thousands of those. Powder coated ones can be trickier but plain zinc plated and a good square works fine.

I stripped one under the trailer (light wiring strain connector) with a new #2 - not going to take any chances - stripped screws really get me lit up :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

I'm toying seriously with insulating a car-hauler and don't want to think twice while removing those countless 100s of screws

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spent a month looking for that bit only to have the dealer tell me they are intended for use with a square bit. My fender screws strip often on both campers. I reach under with a plastic drywall anchor and screw through the fender skirt into that. None of those have come loose again for years.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somewhere an engineer is reading this thread and doesn’t know what the problem is.

That guy

Honored Member
Out of curiosity I opened this thread expecting to see a ugly woman with a few kids with shitty diapers on sitting on a redwood deck attached to a sixties trailer. I am relieved I was wrong.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somewhere an engineer is reading this thread and doesn’t know what the problem is.

I fear it’s worse than that..........they think we’re the idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

Out of curiosity I opened this thread expecting to see a ugly woman with a few kids with shitty diapers on sitting on a redwood deck attached to a sixties trailer. I am relieved I was wrong.

That’s why you’re that guy, because you’re always wrong.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember when I was HS age and we had to change cultivator shovels every so often. With a wrench and no power tools back then. Sometimes the bolt would be wore to bad and the wrench wouldn't grab it. Go get a chisel and hammer and hope you broke the bolt before you broke too many knuckles. has anyone thought of using a chisel and just break them off and then use a standard screw? Perhaps the wife won't notice a little notch or two where the chisel went too deep.By the way, if engineers had to fix things, designed would change drastically.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74