Trapping

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you trapping guys out there, what brand of 330 conibear traps are you running? I'm wanting to order some for beavers and looking for some feed back. Is there any noticeable difference between Victor, duke?

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been a few years since I trapped beaver but when I was I preferred the Victor over the Duke. The Duke's were good traps but the dog needed work to allow them to fire correctly, this may be different now as I haven't bought 330's in over 10 years. There are other really good traps out there but of the two you mentioned that was my preference.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dukes- they kill beavers just fine and little easier on the wallet. If money was no object, victors

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone use the Belisle? They're a little more money, but I only need a dozen or so.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without a doubt go with the Belisle's. They cost more but you get what you pay for. Get yourself a good safety though, you don't want to get your arm in one.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without a doubt go with the Belisle's. They cost more but you get what you pay for. Get yourself a good safety though, you don't want to get your arm in one.

Any suggestions??

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were buying more, I would definitely go with the Belisle traps. The safety stays where you put it. They have a safety formed from wire that have a little tension on the trap frame. Triggers are nicer and they close tight.

Victor and Duke have safeties made from a round wire and they are loose on the frame. If you aren't careful with the safeties while setting the trap, they flip open and you are working with a trap that has the safeties off. Granted, you learn not to do that pretty quickly, but for a few bucks extra, I still like the Belisle.

- - - Updated - - -

I would suggest a good trap setter also.

I had a nice trap setter that I made from aluminum bars. Sadly, it got borrowed to a friend along with one of my good Belisle traps to solve a beaver problem in the English Coulee. Never got either back. They were kind enough to replace the trap with a cheap Duke version. Oh well.........:(

Last edited:

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Belisle if you can afford em. I wish I had more but I got a Duke budget. And get a trap setter, especially for 330s. Also carry a rope with a loop with you for if/when you get your arm stuck. Much more effective than humping your setter.

Last edited:

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you guys always boil your new traps and let them rust, then wax? Or can you run them from new for river sets? Also, how many of you have actually caught an extremity in a 330 conibear trap??!!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I boil then hit with some spay paint,, works on the beavers i trap with caster mount sets,, but most of my traps are half-submerged..

Never caught myself,, but did catch my brother's leg in a 330 once,, lol

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You don't wanna wax a bodygripper. I throw mine in the dishwasher when my wife isn't home and then give them a shot of primer from a rattle can. I've never been in a 330, but I've caught myself in a 220 once more than I'd like to admit.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Belisle trap will hold a beaver caught by the foot/toes while a duke/victor they can get out of.
Belisle traps lock up tight..
Good traps pay for themselves.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82