gas grill...

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had a Weber for 7 years. It’s durable but it’s also built in and under a roof. However I don’t like how it cooks. At least not until I installed grill grates. Those things can make any grill awesome. On a scale to ten I give the Weber a 7.5.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought a pellet grill and my gas grill never gets used. Cooks as fast and never runs out of propane

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep gave the gas grill away after using the pellet grill. I am a big fan of my pit boss.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to grill some foods and smoke other foods. It’s nice to have a choice.

With pellet grills that choice is gone. I like having both - a smart electric smoker and traditional gas grill.

There are some grilled foods that don’t need or benefit from wood smoke.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - the OP said natural gas. I would imagine that means it’s piped to his house so running out of gas isn’t an issue.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just open the slide on the pit boss to grill. You have a charcoal grill at that point with minimal smoke if at all.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Weber Genesis and a Traeger pellet. I use them both all the time year around. Very rarely fire up the oven in the house for anything really.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After many grills I finally broke down and bought a Weber after owning one of the Q-series for the camper. Best money I ever spent! It's going on 8 or 9 years and works just like the day I bought it. Starts right up, get's hot quick, and cooks evenly to this day. I do try to cover it but it does sit out plenty without a cover. I also have a Q-Series that literally gets used every weekend for 16 weeks or so and I think it's going on close to 12 or 13 years old. I take the pressure washer after it once a year and it's good to go for another. I know they cost about 2 to 3 times what a cheaper grill would cost but I was on the 2-3 year grill plan before that and even at that, they didn't cook those cheaper grills didn't cook that evenly, would blow out in the wind, always had a hot spot somewhere, and was just plainly a point a frustration.

I also have a green mountain wood pellet which I really like but I wouldn't call it a replacement for the propane/gas grill. They take a while to reach even smoking temp and a really long time to get hot enough if you want to sear something and that's considering ours is under a covered patio and has the thermal jacket. There are things they both do well. low and slow goes to the GM every-time; hot and fast is propane. Things like patato's, veggies, and the like for sure on the gas grill. Steak I can go either way but if I had to choose I'd lean towards gas. Just my 2 Cents

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
That Napoleon looks like a good grill, however I don’t know much about them. Its got a lot of stuff, although that’s also a lot of stuff to break or not work properly. I am not a fan of the side burner, in the few that I have owned I have never really used it.
I am a fan of weber, have a 3-burner genesis and 4 burner genesis. I like the 3 burner better, however the extra room of the 4-burner is nice sometimes. The one knock I do have on weber is it’s tough to get it really hot really fast, for searing things, other than that the grill is pretty bullet proof.
So from what I know, if you go with the napoleon you’ll like the infrared and the rotisserie(if it works) however if you ever go the route of a pellet grill you will probably never use the rotisserie again

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be interested to use a Napoleon as they look like a top quality piece. That said, I have a couple of Weber Genesis 3 burners that fulfill my needs quite well. I have a Weber smoker box that sits into the side of one of them and Smoker tubes for both of them when I want smoke. My other option for adding smoke flavor is to fire up the BGE.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking at a new gas grill... thinking a napoleon natural gas prestige 500 with the side sear and rotisserie for now...

thoughts or reviews???

https://www.bbqguys.com/napoleon-gr...r-and-infrared-side-burner-p500rsibnss-3-2019

My Dad has that Napoleon grill at his house, and a Weber Summit S-670 at the lake. He always says he likes the Napoleon better, although I don't really know what specifically he likes better about it. It is made in Canada, vs Weber now being made in China, if that matters. I know Napoleon is a big brand out East Coast, and also for doing built in, outdoor kitchen type appliances.

As far as ditching the gas grill for a pellet oven......no. I'm a fan of having both!

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks all...

i've had high end webers and also gone the walmart $100 3 year replacement plan schedule for cheap gas grills in the past... have had traegers for several years, and still do... when my current ones wear out i'm thinking a yoder to replace them...

sous vide and sear has kinda become my new party solution, and the sear burner would sure be nice and convenient and fast - gets up to 1800* in under a minute and will finish any steak very quickly... the 500* cast iron works, but i won't miss the smoke alarms or cleaning up the oil splatter... have a searzall, but that is very slow and doesn't get hot enough to be fast enough - generally disappointed with that...

we seem to have more open house type parties anymore with people rolling in and out at different times... having steaks holding at 125* and ready to sear, a grill basket full of veggies on the rotisserie, and maybe a couple racks of ribs on the traeger ready to go would be a nice solution... could still have burgers and brats/dogs keeping warm and ready in the grill for the kiddos...

and yes, will be direct natural gas hookup to the house - no more pist off runs for propane...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't own a gas grill but that nap sure looks like the cadillac of gas grills,I get the benifit of a gas grill,quick n easy peasy to use,but can't compare the flavor to good ole charcoal grill meats,I do have a pit boss pellet grill which I seldom use,its okay for a few things but lacks the smokey flavor I get from my weber charcoal and wood chips,MOP on pellet grills is they are over rated,pit boss has built in searing which sold me on the grill as treager only reaches temps to 440 degree's Green mtn pellet had propane side sear for steaks/burgers.,but pain in the ass dealing with propane.

issues with pit boss when searin at or above 500 degree's is flare ups,even started my pellet box on fire searing steaks,pissed me off,always vacume the fire pit out before each use so not sure why the fire,so my weber's get the most use year round smokey joe for steak,chops chicken,big kettle weber for roasts,ribs,turkey and rotissari cook outs with various wood smoke.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't own a gas grill but that nap sure looks like the cadillac of gas grills,I get the benifit of a gas grill,quick n easy peasy to use,but can't compare the flavor to good ole charcoal grill meats,I do have a pit boss pellet grill which I seldom use,its okay for a few things but lacks the smokey flavor I get from my weber charcoal and wood chips,MOP on pellet grills is they are over rated,pit boss has built in searing which sold me on the grill as treager only reaches temps to 440 degree's Green mtn pellet had propane side sear for steaks/burgers.,but pain in the ass dealing with propane.

issues with pit boss when searin at or above 500 degree's is flare ups,even started my pellet box on fire searing steaks,pissed me off,always vacume the fire pit out before each use so not sure why the fire,so my weber's get the most use year round smokey joe for steak,chops chicken,big kettle weber for roasts,ribs,turkey and rotissari cook outs with various wood smoke.

I never open the flame up on mine --- i cook steaks burgers and chicken all at 350. Turn it on get the temp up. I use a blanket on most of the fall winter. My wife is really sold on it -- its a glorified oven for her. She even baked cookies on it. At that temp your really just getting a fire box. I vacuum it out every two bins of pellets.

I will say the charcoal pellets have no taste imo--- i suppose good if one doesnt want any smoked flavor.

I did get a camp chef for up north over black friday. The grate is further away (not quite as far as a traeger) but far enough that it will be more so a slow baking machine for us - which is perfect during the summer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that the Genesis doesn't get hot enough.

Also - friends who have had the nat gas hooked up complain about lack of heat - even when correct orifice is used.

Nat gas is much less energy dense than propane. It has only half the energy per cubic foot.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member

Regarding flavor....when I first got my Yoder I was very dissatisfied with the lack of wood taste. One of the things that led me to Yoder (besides awesome built in USA quality) was the fact many claimed they produce as close to stick burning flavor as you can get in a pellet cooker. Still, I was disappointed. I had been used to Eggs and Weber kettles, heavy smoke.

Well, turns out the convenience of the pellet grill eventually won me over, and I hadn't used my XL BGE as a smoker in about year. Last weekend I decided to clean it up real good, and the next day reverse seared an elk tri tip. I only used 1 chunk of hickory, and 100% lump. The results, too F'n smoky. Tasted like an ash tray, and I ran a clean fire (well, as clean as you can get in an Egg). Funny how tastes change. I'm beginning to think these Eggs, when set up as a smoker, don't offer enough air flow to run a good, clean fire. On the flip side, most pellet cookers burn too clean, especially over 250-275, which is why they are lighter on smoke flavor.

I do have a Weber Go Anywhere charcoal grill that I have started using a lot more lately. It's amazing what you can cook on that little grill, and the efficiency of it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never open the flame up on mine --- i cook steaks burgers and chicken all at 350. Turn it on get the temp up. I use a blanket on most of the fall winter. My wife is really sold on it -- its a glorified oven for her. She even baked cookies on it. At that temp your really just getting a fire box. I vacuum it out every two bins of pellets.

I will say the charcoal pellets have no taste imo--- i suppose good if one doesnt want any smoked flavor.

can't get a nice sear at 350 just cooked IMO I like my red meat black on the outside/grill marks rare in the middle,sometimes just knock the horns off run it over the grill and call it good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76