Ice Fishing Snaps

Fitz

Established Member
Just curious if there is a snap that you would recommend for ice fishing. I usually tie one on when using kastmasters or raps. I have tried a couple different brands (Scheels, Cabelas, VMC) and cannot find one that doesn't have to be adjusted prior to being opened. Anyone have luck with a particular one out there?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ What he said. Use those on most of my rods.

If I'm going to run darter-type lures, I use bigger clips like a snap swivel without the swivel. But for a majority of my fishing, speed snaps rock.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those snaps are great. I usually tie up a dozen with 18" leaders to swivels for my walleye stuff. That way I can swap them quickly, they suck to tie when it is cold! Downside to the snaps are you don't retie often enough. But that are handy and I have not lost a lure or fish with them.

TakItEz

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are only slightly larger than the quick clips and there is no way for your lure to pop off
cache.php
I have had those quick clips break and have lost lures (mostly jigging raps and lipless cranks). These are the better solution size 0 mustad fastach

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would hate to halve a 10+ lb walleye on one of those 1st clips in post 2. I usually tie direct or use a snap like for pulling plugs.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are only slightly larger than the quick clips and there is no way for your lure to pop off
cache.php
I have had those quick clips break and have lost lures (mostly jigging raps and lipless cranks). These are the better solution size 0 mustad fastach

I use these as well, in a couple different ways.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the Berkley crosslock snaps. They are a little tough to thread through an eyelet, but have never failed on me.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would hate to halve a 10+ lb walleye on one of those 1st clips in post 2. I usually tie direct or use a snap like for pulling plugs.

I haven't had an issue yet, but typically only run them on my light and med light rods. My heavier rod I run a cross lock snap mostly because I typically have a darter or rippin rap on that rod.

Fitz

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys. I stopped by and picked up some mustad easy snaps from Wade this afternoon.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79