Upland bird vest?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I am curious as to what you all like as far as upland bird vests?

I'm thinking of getting my son his own for Christmas, but have no idea what's currently the better vests out there. I have a bunch of older vests that each have their downside.

So what do you guys wear, and why did you choose it?

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I started my dad wouldn't get me a vest untill I went on walks with 3 shells and come back with 3 birds then he said I was ready to sport a vest and extra ammo tough lesson but I'm a better wing shooter for it.
With that said I'm a fan of the cabela's upland pheasant forever vests good material and zipper lots of pocket space.

Last edited:

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Columbia quick loader is a great vest. I've had mine for 20 years and use it a lot each fall. I've bought or recommended for multiple people and they've all been happy. But, I don't know if they are available anymore. A good strap/backpack style vest might be my next but though. Nice for layering and warm weather hunts for grouse. The Mother looks like a nice option!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a mothers backpack vest that is over 20 years old that they dont make anymore that is very functional . Alps outdoor z makes nice upland back pack.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got one for my son as well. I ordered a Browning Pheasants Forever strap vest. I was thinking at least with the strap vests he can adjust it as he grows. Time will tell how it works out. I have a Cabelas dog handler vest and really like it. I has nice features for a collar controller and also water bottles and things you carry for dogs. It does get pretty warm on early season hunts though.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
i picked up a gamehide a few years back after retiring my previous vest after about 20 years. I love this vest..esp early to mid season. I have a jacket with sleeves for late season/cold weather ruddies. [MENTION=395]johnr[/MENTION] probably doesnt like the orange.. haha..but dang.. as a person gets older it helps my eyes see other hunters in thier orange. haha
81XKMIVIjTL._AC_UL320_.jpg

ktm450

★★ Legendary Member
I really like just an upland vest that way I can wear my warmer jacket underneath/ dress in layers. This one i like cause the pockets are pretty big, and it has a spot in the front for a water bottle that i carry for the dog.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-premium-upland-vest/15214-SV001.2.html
tuckerhunt1.jpg

If im not wanting to wear the vest, I also have a upland hunting jacket that i really like as i can zip in a liner if i want it for the colder weather. I think it was columbia brand and i bought it and the liner from cabelas a few years back

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cabelas one with water storage for the dog. The only thing is my dog drank anything and out of anything - so it was kind of mute

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like just an upland vest that way I can wear my warmer jacket underneath/ dress in layers. This one i like cause the pockets are pretty big, and it has a spot in the front for a water bottle that i carry for the dog.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mens-scheels-outfitters-premium-upland-vest/15214-SV001.2.html
1680393030560.png

If im not wanting to wear the vest, I also have a upland hunting jacket that i really like as i can zip in a liner if i want it for the colder weather. I think it was columbia brand and i bought it and the liner from cabelas a few years back

This >>>upland hunting jacket<<< I have one, spendy but worth it, you can strip it down to a sleeveless vest, you can take the liner out, that can be a vest and jacket, outer jacket part is the vest for shells and is front loader for the game bag, that too, can be a vest or jacket without the liner......Cabelas has them. Well over $100+

https://www.upland hunting jacketca...VTODACh2ClAdNEAQYAiABEgIMyvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sorry, but after getting into this thread I think all of you guys need to post pics and we that don't have the fancy and best can vote for the ' Best dressed upland Hunter'. Again Allen I'm SORRY I just can't help myself.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Cabelas strap vest, probably 15 years old. It's good with a shirt for early sharp-tails or with a coat for late pheasants. The less weight the better when walking miles.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a game hide one that works good. I don’t know how many birds it has carried but it’s over a few thousand and still going strong. It got lots of use when I used to guide a lot.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Q5, Tenzing, Wingworks and Orvis get mentioned quite a bit on upland sites but are expensive and seem to be out of stock. I have the Scheels strap vest and no complaints.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75