Where do you get your weather?

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, dose anyone out there get pretty accurate weather? I used the weather channels app and it seems you can't belive it until literally the night before your thinking of going fishing. I have every other weekend off and I like too look at the 10 day report as soon as my days off end to see what my next weekend off will look like... and all 10 days it's an emotional roller costed of "oh yeah it looks awesome!" To "well crap now there predicting wind and thunderstorms"

I did find how ever "weather underground" and I can pinpoint little weather stations all over north dakota and get ones closer to the lake than the nearest town.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
National Weather Service is by far the best IMO. Weather Underground is decent to. I believe on their app you have a choice of their forecast or can switch it to NWS. Weather Channel and Accuweather are worthless. I used to compare all four. Now just pretty much look at NWS.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where can you get the info on jet streams and cold fronts?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
realistically:

Cloudy during the early evening, then gradual clearing, with a low around 28. Blustery, with a north northwest wind 17 to 22 mph decreasing to 8 to 13 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 31 mph.
Saturday
A 20 percent chance of rain after 1pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 52. Northwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

Saturday Night
A 20 percent chance of rain before 10pm. Patchy frost after 5am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 37. North wind 5 to 15 mph becoming west after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 21 mph.

Sunday
Patchy frost before 7am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 62. West northwest wind 7 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

- - - Updated - - -

makes it really sweet if your crossing the big lake

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I knew weather was going to suck on saturday 3 months ago there wolves on the water is happening. So Mrs.Oahe is going to do some ass kicking

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tell ya, wind is something that's elusive to the meteorologists, will always be. I continually see forecasts saying 10-15mph wind Saturday and Sunday, only to pull my boat north 65miles and have trouble launching/landing with 22-26mph wind pretty much late morning to supper time. GRRRRR ;:;banghead

I finally figured out the BEST BET is to realize that the meteorologist making those determinations doesn't know the difference between the hyphen and the plus-sign. The forecast should've read 10+15mph wind Saturday and Sunday. THEN, we would know what we're probably going to find once our boats touch the surface of the water!

;:;rant:;:deadhorse:;:exactly:::

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tell ya, wind is something that's elusive to the meteorologists, will always be. I continually see forecasts saying 10-15mph wind Saturday and Sunday, only to pull my boat north 65miles and have trouble launching/landing with 22-26mph wind pretty much late morning to supper time. GRRRRR ;:;banghead

I finally figured out the BEST BET is to realize that the meteorologist making those determinations doesn't know the difference between the hyphen and the plus-sign. The forecast should've read 10+15mph wind Saturday and Sunday. THEN, we would know what we're probably going to find once our boats touch the surface of the water!

;:;rant:;:deadhorse:;:exactly:::

The problem is most of the forecasts don't include gusts. This is the main reason i use NWS. They will say wind 10-15 gusting to 25. Where most will just say wind 10-15. I've literally gotten into arguments with buddy's who wanted to go fishing because the forecast they look at said 10-20 winds, and NWS said 10-20 gusting to 30. I tell them to go ahead, guess what the next day brought?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of the weather apps are basically ad-based weather. Except for NWS. You figure it out.

For some behind the scenes information click on the "forecast discussion" link off the local NWS weather link. Although it is full of jargon that most of us don't understand it details the theory behind forecasting.

Stay with the local weather sources. They live here, not Atlanta.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpg

Forecast screen from iWindsurf

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109