Big Ag News: Monstanto/Bayer Merge

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Paging GST et. al.! Honestly curious what your thoughts are on this. Can't believe it would be considered good news.

So if commodity prices stay in the tank through this year and next, and input prices remain high, does that mean we're going to see "For Sale? signs at farms across Nodak? If so, what's that mean for the little dink towns barely hanging on as it is?

In all honesty, this kind of stuff concerns me.

http://www.agweek.com/news/nation-and-world/4115894-ag-groups-displeased-bayer-monsanto-merger

[h=1]Ag groups displeased with Bayer-Monsanto merger[/h]
Ag groups are voicing their frustration after the recent Bayer-Monsanto merger that cost $66 billion.

North Dakota Farmers Union President Mark Watne said, "This merger further concentrates the ag supply market. It puts market control in the hands of a few companies, giving them the opportunity to keep input costs high during times when farmers need costs to be reduced."

Watne called for greater oversight by the Justice Department in its evaluation of mergers, which have been increasing.
The American Farm Bureau Federation shares Watne's opinion, and said the deal has caused great concern among farm groups.
"Market forces led to deals like the one announced today, but we know that major company mergers have a profound impact on the tools available to farmers and ranchers, sometimes to their detriment," said Chief Economist Bob Young.
"This deal between Monsanto and Bayer comes close on the heels of the proposed Dow-DuPont merger. Farm Bureau believes the Department of Justice should undertake a close review of the overall business climate that has encouraged these combinations, rather than evaluating them in isolation."

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad deal right there. EVERYBODY is in for a soaking. Feds shouldn't allow monopolies like this to form. How did this pass the smell test at FTC?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bad deal right there. EVERYBODY is in for a soaking. Feds shouldn't allow monopolies like this to form. How did this pass the smell test at FTC?

Exactly my thoughts. Usually, companies get away with it if they're into separate things and want to expand their market reach. But Bayer and Monsanto basically do the same things (granted, Bayer does a LOT more than just ag). They've swallowed up a huge chunk of market real estate.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Consolidation on either supply side or consumer sales side is typically not good in agriculture. Competition creates opportunbity.

Read a bit about this yesterday, don;lt know enough to go spouting off on the internet.

Off to homecoming parade, and football game, kid was king and is running the ball pretty well again this season with a pretty good team so lots of fun.

Then the two day Antler Outlaws weekend. Sat nite steak feed cooked over wood fired grill hand cut ribeyes and a live band.

Anyone up in the area stop on in, you won't be disappointed in the food or fun.

Have to read a bit more about this one.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ba...-for-anyone-who-eats-or-grows-food-2016-05-24

This dives into it with a bit more detail. Sounds like the merger isn't a done deal and has a chance of not being allowed, but you know what they say about money talking...

Other tidbits in there I didn't realizer were other big mergers currently in the works:

The deal comes on the heels of a spate of recent merger activity, such as a tie-up between Dow Chemical Co. and DuPont — currently being reviewed by European Union antitrust regulators — and Chinese state-owned company ChemChina’s takeover of Syngenta.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything integrates up.

How many meat packing companies are left?

North Dakota hasn't had one sinceAntoine-Amédée-Marie-Vincent Manca Amat de Vallombrosa, Marquis de Morès et de Montemaggiore.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chimney%20Park%20copy.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love chimney park, a glass of long Island tea, and a stroll through history.

Twas a fine packing plant.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its not just the big companies merging. Take a look at most of your local co-ops, elevators, and seed companies.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Already happening check out the auctioneer sites there are quite a few farmers calling it quits. Dad said that the potatoes took a pounding this summer, lots of standing water in the rows. Farmers will be lucky to get 50% of their potato crops. This one farmer from up north lived high on the hog for too many years instead of putting money away, like his parents before him, he decides to buy recreational vehicles, two lake homes, home in Arizona, and built his kids new homes. Instead of selling some of those homes and toys to pay for this year's crops, the farmer takes a big loan. The worse part is no crop insurance this year, his crops get hit bad with hail and flooded fields. He's selling all his equipment, 1100 acres of land but he's keeping the family farm and the one in Arizona.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah I can see corporate farming in the near future.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I read the article is that these merger will actually benefit farmers in the future. I mean with different larger lobbying groups of global scales will have more power to push Monsanto roundup ready crops down the throats of world consumers. Merger=farmers winning

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way I read the article is that these merger will actually benefit farmers in the future. I mean with different larger lobbying groups of global scales will have more power to push Monsanto roundup ready crops down the throats of world consumers. Merger=farmers winning

I am sure the farmers who planted Monsanto GMO cotton in india would disagree.....................well maybe not as there have been over 291,000 farmers who have committed suicide because of it.
Do a search on it, tons of info out there that our media will not touch.

Follow the money all the seed/medication which are many times one and the same companies make us sick with their poison and then develop the meds to treat the "Symptoms" of the diseases and then that med causes more symptoms and then another med rather than tell you that not eating their crap is the cure all.
Heck there have been numerous Monsanto whistle blowers who say they will not let their employees eat the food they develop knowing dam well its killing us.

Soft Eugenics. Killing us slowly and bleeding the masses dry along with it.

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are eating a lot of crap now.

Not me. I'm eating organic grass fed farm raised elk.

Put on a big feed Sept. 4th with 65 people at my place. 3 or 4 pound chunks of elk Prime rib or eye of round. Lots of pepper and a little Montana Alspice. Peanut oil at 350 degrees. Fry/sear ten minutes to lock in juices. Finish on the grill until it is still a little red inside. Chill and then run it all through a meat slicer. Put it in an electric roaster and add au ju. It's moist flavorful and consistent to everyone's liking.

Don't know about you Plains, but I'm eating like a King.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We are eating a lot of crap now.
You certinly have a choice. Most any grtocery store now has organic/natural/nonGMO ect..... foods............if you want to pay more.

You can even get real sugar Coke

Consumer demand dictates what is on the shelf.

I am not a blind Monsanto deciple. But one can not ignore the realities of what would be happening without biotechnology in food production.

More people would be starving and those that were not would be paying substantially more of their disposable income for food. Do we as prodicers have to hold those supplying us with our seed and chemicals accountable to sound science and safe products of course. But we can not emotionally limit technology that is only going to increase as arable lands decrease in the global food production cycle.

52 - 6 Kid got 120 yards or so running and 2 touchdowns in one quarter Kid from Trenton broke his arm in the game, hope he is doing okay.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am crushed I didn't get an RSVP Fritz.::closerlook:::

I thought of you. Invited a few delegates (R) from District 33. For the most part Farm Bureau. With 65 attendees, my garage was full. I'll get you next time. It was a success. Am going to do it again.

Getting 65 attendees on Labor Day weekend to my place was easy. Our guest speaker was Congressman Kevin Cramer. People like him and will turn out to support him.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe with the merger they can get some better weed spray to stop all these weeds, the way it looks the weeds are going to win

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consolidation on either supply side or consumer sales side is typically not good in agriculture. Competition creates opportunbity.

Read a bit about this yesterday, don;lt know enough to go spouting off on the internet.

Off to homecoming parade, and football game, kid was king and is running the ball pretty well again this season with a pretty good team so lots of fun.

Then the two day Antler Outlaws weekend. Sat nite steak feed cooked over wood fired grill hand cut ribeyes and a live band.

Anyone up in the area stop on in, you won't be disappointed in the food or fun.

Have to read a bit more about this one.

Best gst post this month! (Sounds like a great weekend ahead!)

;-)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 78