Minn Kota Ulterra

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who's got one? The advertisement is funny, but I've seen it too many times. Just wondering if anyone has had problems with theirs yet...? Hopefully it's a winner, and I'll put one on next spring.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love that add too, but I'm not sure what the true range is on those remotes. I've been swimming in the middle of the lake before with my iPilot remote in the water with me and it didn't seem like the range was real good.

My buddy had a Genesis (similar) that gave him lots of fits, but it's been several years since then, so I bet they have it perfected now.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wondered the remote range as well. I've never tried too much with my I link remote. As long as when you spot lock and walk out of range, it stays locked and doesn't shut off or something. That would be my main concern.

For or them to make this advertisement though, I would assume they've made the range fairly descent on the new remote though.

Speaking of remotes, I'm not overly impressed with battery life on my I link controller. The darn trolling motor batteries last longer than the remote.....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the range on my Terrova iPilot sucks from my rear seat (17.5 tiller)

I have to hold it out to the side to "reach around" someone sitting between us - super lame

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The range on my autopilot is from the top of my leg to my foot.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used my spot lock to jump out of the boat and run down the beach and take a crank bait out of a tree.... didn't shut off on me... ran 30 feet or so

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
The farthest I've tried is around 30 yards, worked perfectly fine.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
the range on my Terrova iPilot sucks from my rear seat (17.5 tiller)

I have to hold it out to the side to "reach around" someone sitting between us - super lame

I sit in the front of the boat when using the troller, so never an issue with me. My friend fishes from behind the windshield on his boat, and has to hold the remote over his glass to get it to respond.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sit in the front of the boat when using the troller, so never an issue with me. My friend fishes from behind the windshield on his boat, and has to hold the remote over his glass to get it to respond.

yep - sounds familiar - GEEZ FOR LAME! ;:;banghead

I installed a MotorGuide for a friend the other day - boy was it quiet and the remote function was bulletproof from anywhere.

On a quiet day the noise during anchoring with ipilots will drive you crazy after a couple hours. I might switch next year.

[yes - fresh batteries in the remote every year]

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - sounds familiar - GEEZ FOR LAME! ;:;banghead

I installed a MotorGuide for a friend the other day - boy was it quiet and the remote function was bulletproof from anywhere.

On a quiet day the noise during anchoring with ipilots will drive you crazy after a couple hours. I might switch next year.

yes - fresh batteries in the remote every year

minnekotas always work though it seems like. I have experienced every type of outboard motor problem conceivable to mankind and never had my minnekota 80lb thrust autopilot fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree - they are very dependable - I have heard different on the MotorGuides

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id rather have short t-rex arms than have my hands touching the ground like big v.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
20140705_174736.jpg
I don't know how far that is --- but my kid (20140705_174736.jpg) took my boat with the remote and led it away from the toons and then moored it with the anchor function about a couple hours later (when we could barely see) he brought it back to the toon with the remote and had us board the ship for a ride home. I haven't changed the battery in my remote since I got it. I like the terrova - except for the lines it puts on my graph up front with its electrical noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Lesson to self -- don't hit the pic button twice.

- - - Updated - - -

What is a guy going to do when the designated drivers grow up

- - - Updated - - -

we had 12 toons hooked up together and I don't know how many people would drive by and say your boat is getting away.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess so far with my link remote, I've never had an issue with the remote not working wherever I am in my boat. Just have never attempted anything out of the boat.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm on my 2nd Terrova w/IPilot and the IPilot remote likes a clear line of sight. Battery condition seems not to matter.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75