Hydroseeding and grading help!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Short version: Lawn co. installed sprinklers 2 weeks ago. Just made it out to hydroseed today. Between the time they installed sprinklers and hydroseeded, a deluge of rain hit and now I have a few washed out areas as well as 6-12" quack grass covering half the back yard.

Question: Should I have expected them to re-grade before seeding or are they unable to do any final grading due to sprinkler heads?

Signed,

Kind of pissed.

P.S. They haven't been paid yet.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The hydroseed guy is not a landscaper, and the best you could have hoped for is him calling you and asking if you wanted to fix the yard prior to him spraying it on.

bad luck is what you just experienced

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it was the same contractor, and they were in charge of the project from start to finish - or they hired a sub to do the hydroseeding, i would explain to them the importance of timing and scheduling... then go on a rant about the face book and twitter following that you have, all the relatives that live in the area, all the friends and co workers you have, the clubs you r in, the fact that your cousins brother is high up in the secretary of states business licensing office, and that you are a part time photographer with a really really really really bad temper and the fact that you really have a hard time shutting up... name dropping the biggest a-hole lawyer (your golfing buddy) in the area wouldn't hurt either...

good luck...

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
It should have been regraded and groomed before seeding if it was washed out. The sprinkler heads being in, have no effect. Can't comment on who's responsible without knowing what was agreed on. Contractor should've at least called you and asked if it was ready to seed or drop by first.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
With out knowing contract details some one should have fixed it. We have been shit out of luck many times because of rain and had to do stuff over. It is part of bidding the job and how much chance you put in it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not enough details. How many contractors are involved and who lined them up to do the work ? (Project manager)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you hired a general contractor then the GENERAL is responceable .

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
The way you worded it, it sounds like just one company doing it all which should make it easier. Most of the time you pay a bit more for a general contractor, but when or if its not done right and it comes time to point fingers having no one else to point at makes things easier.

What I see so often is most companies or people know better, but they decide to roll the dice, cut corners, and hope the client doesn't speak up. My guess more times than not it works out for them so they keep doing it.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We built a house. Builder arranged sprinkler system and seeding. Money for lawn is in escrow until we tell the bank the job is done.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess then i would talk with the builder and mention how dissatisfied you are with the job on how it was taken care of.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
So the funds from you are being paid to your builder?

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to tell how bad it is without photos. But I would think it doesn't have to be a complete redo. Have top soil brought in to fill in the washouts, make sure it fills in all voids and is compacted some so it doesn't settle over time. Then have the hydro guys come back same day and spot spray the black soil.

Stan's Dad

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The little ground squirrel tunnels collapsed. Should've took care of that problem when you had the chance.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rather than throwing anyone under the bus, I emailed the builder last night and simply asked, "should the yard have been regraded prior to seeding?" and mentioned the washouts and quackgrass. I received a response from the builder a few minutes ago saying the contractor was supposed to communicate with them and address the grading issues before seeding. They'll be by Monday morning to assess the situation and take corrective action as needed.

So that's a positive response.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a sub that just worked for free and will get to come back and do it right.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went through something similar last year. I had to have them come back, spray round up on the entire yard, re-grade, new topsoil and all new hydro seed all at their expense. Depends what is in your contract, but you are paying for a green yard with proper drainage and proper grass. I personally threatened the small claims court route and it was amazing how fast they came out to fix everything.

Personally, I would re-grade and spray to kill off the unwanted grass/weeds or you will be fighting it for a long long time.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The little ground squirrel tunnels collapsed. Should've took care of that problem when you had the chance.

I decided it's pointless to fight the squirrels because 1) there's a lot of undeveloped land around me and 2) I'm fond of ground squirrels.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanted to provide an update on this as it's been about 3 months now. We had 2' tall weeds covering 2/3 of the yard by the time grass began to show up. I spent a few hours weeding one day and that helped. However, our builder insisted, "go after the weeds with a trimmer. They don't respond well to being repeatedly cut down. Just keep watering and fertilizing and it'll turn out great." I wasn't ready to take his word for it because of how out-of-control the weeds were, but he was absolutely right. My lawn isn't perfect but I've received a lot of compliments on it from neighbors, even the ones who laid sod.

I wish a final grading would have been done but it's not too bad. Next summer I'm going to have some black dirt spread around to fill in gaps created from the ground drying and cracking, then bring in a roller. Anyway, pretty happy with my lawn.

From my experience, I recommend:
1. Give it two solid months.
2. Water a lot. Never let your soil dry out.
3. FERTILIZE AFTER 4-5 WEEKS, than again after another 4-5 weeks. Don't waste your money on anything other than Scott's lawn food. NOT the stuff with weed killer in it.
4. Cut the weeds, don't pull them. They help to keep the soil together and shade new germinating grass. The grass WILL take over and choke out the weeds.
5. I'm really glad I seeded instead of laying sod.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76