Propane connection converter?

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an older propane stove that has a hose with old style propane connection on the the end that screwed into a tank. I had an old style 100lb tank that I was able to get filled a while back and it lasted me since this stove doesn't get used much. But can no longer get it filled. Do they make an adapter or does anybody know where I can fine something that I can screw this hose into then screw onto the new style propane tanks.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you remove the line from the other end and have a new hose made?

Nope it looks like it is crimped on with a metal clamp. I could cut to the old style end off and put a new style end on but I don't know how well it would seal. I don't wanna have a leaking connection around an open flame.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What size is the stove and is it easily removable? You could take it in, have the line cut and crimped with a new end. Finding an adapter would be easiest if they exist

- - - Updated - - -

Does your new tank fitting not have the inside threads for your old style hose?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It sounds like the problem is with the tank. Because of the old style connector you can no longer get the tank filled. That was common years ago when the new valves came into use. Many people took the tank in and switched the connector valve on the tank. Don't know about now but then the new style valve allowed a person to connect the old style hose. The old style hose screwed into the inside of the valve and the new style hose screwed onto the outside of the valve, if that makes any sense. What was true was the you could attach either style of the hose to the new valve on the tank. Don't know about now but it's worth looking into. I still have an old style sunflower heater that can be used on the new style valve.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since when can't you get a 100 lb tank filled with the old style valve? I haven't seen a 100 lb tank with the new OPD valve.

I just filled my old style 100 lb tank last week and didn't get any complaint. The $80 they charged me kind of sucked though!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I work in the LP industry and I'm seeing propane cylinder fills about those prices per gallon right now.
Propane market pretty strong nationwide.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
ItemB;177966 Do they make an adapter or does anybody know where I can fine something that I can screw this hose into then screw onto the new style propane tanks.[/QUOTE said:
Something like in the picture only without dual outlets ? I went through this a couple years ago on a project and ended up ordering the shortest new style tank hose I could find and converted NPT at the other end with a Left hand brass female coupling and screwed the two hoses together. It looks like a pressed/crimped fitting in the pic but I'm sure I saw them made up with threaded fittings after the fact just not sure where. I order stuff rom all over but I think Ebay was where I finally found something that would work. It took some digging to find I remember that much for sure .

s-l500.jpg

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep Davey that is what I was thinking of or look for with the dual input. Will have to do some digging online. And I am not sure about getting the old style tank filled I was told last time that I probably wouldn't get it filled again and that was a couple three years ago. And to be honest it would just be easier to hook up one of the tanks 30 or 20 lb tanks I have for grills and other heaters. Moving that 100lb tank is a pain

eliminator

Honored Member
I believe if you go to the local propane supplier that they build hoses and can probably put a new end on your hose. I had them make me a 10 foot one for my RV at the propane dealer in Bismarck a while back. Don't know if they still do this but would think so.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is confusing me. you should be able to get a tank filled even if it has an old style fitting i think.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too am confused with why the old style tank can no longer be refilled. Did it fail inspection?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if memory serves, every time i've watched one get filled, its with a hose that actually screws into the valve not onto the valve of the tank.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes they do , Now you have me scratching my head what fitting I was looking for that was nowhere to be found.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
When they came out with the new style valve, the federal government put a grace period on all old tanks that gave owners a certain amount of time to, A. Get new tanks or B. Get the old valve changed out with a new one. If you didn't do one of the above the tank should not be filled. All propane tanks have a date stamped on them. I believe its a date when the tank was manufactured. After a certain number of years the tank is supposed to be inspected again and run through a pressure test and a new date put on them. It could be that the person filling your tank is following the rules mandated by the government and therefore, not filling your tank.

Last edited:

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When they came out with the new style valve, the federal government put a grace period on all old tanks that gave owners a certain amount of time to, A. Get new tanks or B. Get the old valve changed out with a new one.

All propane tanks have a date stamped on them. After a certain number of years the tank is supposed to be inspected again and run through a pressure test and a new date put on them.

I just switched propane companies a few months ago. While the guy was swapping out my 400 gal tanks I asked him about this.

The 20, 30 and 40 lb tanks have to have the new valve to be filled, the 100 lb tanks do not have to have it. This is a Federal requirement.

After the big tanks were swapped out I got my new 400 gal tank filled and all my BBQ (6 20 lb), camper (4 30 lb) and 2 100 lb tanks filled. At $1.09 a gal! :;:smokin

It gonna suck next time I get them filled though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80