Game and Fish Violations 2017

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Game and Fish Violations Tallied
While game and fish violations were up in 2017, the number of citations has remained relatively consistent in North Dakota from year to year.
Robert Timian, chief of enforcement for the state Game and Fish Department, said there are three basic causes of violations – intentional disregard of the rules, lack of knowledge of the rules and just simply mistakes.
“Violations due to lack of knowledge can easily be addressed by taking the time to read through the regulations,” Timian said. “Mistakes can be reduced by taking a little more care and time.”
Wardens check thousands of hunters and anglers each year, and Timian said the majority are law-abiding citizens.
Game wardens issued more than 2,500 citations in 2017, compared to nearly 2,300 in 2016 and 2,400 in 2015.
“There are some factors why violations were up in 2017,” Timian said. “For one, we had a full warden staff for the entire year, in addition to one temporary position, and another reason was all of our wardens at one time or another during the 2016 fall hunting seasons and into 2017 were assisting with efforts at the pipeline protest.”
The same violations occur at or near the top of the list every year, Timian said, such as failure to have a license, and boating/fishing without the proper number of life jackets. But he emphasized there is one area of violation that has increased every year.
“Aquatic nuisance species violations are up,” he added. “We put a lot of effort into ANS enforcement, as we work toward a time when boaters and anglers make it a habit to check their equipment.”
Counties with the most violations in 2017 were Burleigh (251), Ramsey (234), McLean (206), McKenzie (175) and Morton (172).
The most common violations and number issued in 2017 were:
· Boating (643): inadequate number of personal flotation devices (255); use of unlicensed/unnumbered boat (138); and failure to display boat registration (121).
· Fishing (348): aquatic nuisance species violations (130); exceeding limit (87); and excessive lines (53).
· Small game (262): using shotgun capable of holding more than three shells (56); failure to leave identification of sex on game (51); exceeding limit (19); and hunting in unharvested field (19).
· Big game (95): tagging violations (31); failure to wear orange (17); and hunting in closed season (10).
· Furbearer (35): shining/using artificial light (13); and harassment with motor vehicle (10).
· Licensing (622): failure to carry license (334); hunting/fishing/trapping without proper license (235); and misrepresentation on license or application (21).
· General (296): loaded firearm in vehicle (64); hunting on posted land without permission (59); and littering (52).
· Miscellaneous (126): open container (28); criminal trespass (28); and minor in possession (17).
· Wildlife management areas/refuge (94): failure to obey posted regulations (29); camping (21); and possession of glass beverage containers (14).

Isn't hunting in closed season (10) poaching? Why call it "hunting"?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How can Ramsey County (Devils Lake) only have 234 violations? Talk about turning a blind eye. Apparently the "Pecker-Slap" given to ND G&F by the poaching 'Sconi LEO has made ND G&F scared of 'Sconi license plates.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
An 8-year-old boy and his father are in the hospital after a snowmobile crash on a Minnesota lake.
It happened just before 8 p.m. Friday night on Chisago Lake.
The family says Alan Geisenkoetter Jr. was critically injured along with his father, Alan Sr.
(credit: CBS)

Deputies say the father was assembling the family’s portable ice house when he was hit.
It’s a beautiful January Saturday out on the lake.
Less than 24 hours earlier, it was the scene of a horrific accident.
“We started seeing the squad cars come right in front of our house here onto the lake,” Marty Long said.
A witness took a video of the scene of responders on a pitch black night, where a 43-year-old father, who was assembling a portable ice house, was injured by snowmobiler along with his young son, Alan Jr.
A day later, Long is taking his grandsons out to their ice house.
“We knew it was something bad when we saw the helicopter,” he said.
The helicopter was called to airlift the boy, who family say is only 8 years old.
(credit: Jeff Reinsberg)

On the boy’s Caring Bridge site, the family says the mother tried to yell for Alan Jr. to get out of the way but it was too late.
He was hit and then dragged by the snowmobile, according to the family.
The snowmobile then hit the ice house that the father was working on.
“Snowmobiles can go 80 miles per hour now. And that’s fine. It’s Minnesota, great outdoors. Everybody is doing it, having fun at this time of year. Look it, it’s a beautiful day,” Long said. “You don’t drive those things that close to fish houses.”
A family member told WCCO the boy, in critical condition, has head trauma and two broken legs that will require surgery.
His father was also taken to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The driver admitted to authorities that they had been drinking before the accident but once they got on shore refused to provide a breath sample. So authorities obtained a search warrant and informed the driver they were under arrest. They were taken to the hospital for injuries. No charges have been filed yet.
The Chisago County Sheriff’s Office is waiting to release the name of the snowmobile driver until formal charges have been filed.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was one of them! Forgot I had a tip up down and preceded to hop in the truck and drill holes about 400 yrds away... oooooops.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a question for you guys · General (296): loaded firearm in vehicle (64). What do they consider a loaded firearm, one in the chamber or just ammo in the gun?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a question for you guys · General (296): loaded firearm in vehicle (64). What do they consider a loaded firearm, one in the chamber or just ammo in the gun?

Chamber.

Legal here to have a full magazine and no case.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot a waterfowl stamp this year and got a ticket. Usually buy everything the first day of April and just spaced out the duck stamp...$100 later and won't be forgetting to check my licenses the first time out for anything ever again.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
334 fail to carry license? Ive been checked a couple times on the water when my license was in truck and they never gave me a ticket. I do always have a pick on my phone these days.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Think I read somewhere that deer apps will be completely paperless this year. Kind of off topic but relevant.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

One in the chamber but oddly enough it's legal to shoot non-game from a vehicle so could be an easy one to beat in court with just a little effort.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
334 fail to carry license? Ive been checked a couple times on the water when my license was in truck and they never gave me a ticket. I do always have a pick on my phone these days.

Even if you don't have it with you they'll typically give you a week or so to mail them a copy of your license. This would primarily be people that chose not to send their license in the required time. Also, some areas of the state have a tendency to be a little more lenient with not having a fishing license at all and will only write a ticket for failure to carry your license instead of writing one for not having a license at all.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
One in the chamber unless it is a revolver if any rounds in the cylinder it is considered loaded. Even with a CC permit you are not allowed to have one in the chamber while in a vehicle hunting.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
most violations are somewhat honest mistakes. of half a dozen groups or individuals this fall i had professional knowledge of, only on group was a blatant violation.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would be nice to know how many of these violations were committed by NR or local.....

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
One in the chamber but oddly enough it's legal to shoot non-game from a vehicle so could be an easy one to beat in court with just a little effort.

I don't believe that is true during deer season though.

- - - Updated - - -

One in the chamber unless it is a revolver if any rounds in the cylinder it is considered loaded. Even with a CC permit you are not allowed to have one in the chamber while in a vehicle hunting.

Not true... you can have it loaded when coyote hunting. I think it is a stupid law... but it is allowed. You can shoot from the vehicle for coyotes, so not having one in the chamber would make that difficult.

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Wow, that makes absolutely no sense at all. How about an auto loader like a 1911, loaded magazine and chamber loaded or empty?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was also one of the violators, neglected to count the number of life vests on the pontoon before leaving the dock. Innocent mistake and didn't even have an argument, thanked the officer and sent in the check. He was also very lenient because an 11 year old wasn't actually wearing a vest at the time. He wrote the ticket for the lesser offense. Good warden who I think gave me a break because I fully admitted I had made a mistake and didn't try to talk my way out of the situation.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, that makes absolutely no sense at all. How about an auto loader like a 1911, loaded magazine and chamber loaded or empty?

Yes legal if your hunting Fox or Coyotes.

If you are actively hunting Fox or Coyotes you can have a shell in chamber and shoot out the window as long as you are stopped and not on a federal or state highway.

Driving around with a loaded shotgun during Pheasant season may get you a ticket. It is up to the discretion of the Warden.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75