Out of State OTC tags

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well after being snubbed by the NDGF I'm researching OTC tags for big game. Are there any Non-Resident deer tags available OTC in Montana? Nebraska? MN? SD?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
MN tags are all OTC for deer for NR. 168$ apiece I think, archery, rifle, muzzy. I think Montana has some OTC muley doe options in the eastern part of the state...

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many of the units in MN are OTC and non-residents tags are $160. The tag allows you to shoot any deer and a lot of the units you can also buy an extra doe tag for $80. If you have kids, bring them with as tags are free for ages 10-14 and $5 for ages 15-17. Party hunting is also legal in MN. Last year my wife filled both her tag and mine, 10 minutes into the season, with 2 bucks fighting in front of her stand.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many of the units in MN are OTC and non-residents tags are $160. The tag allows you to shoot any deer and a lot of the units you can also buy an extra doe tag for $80. If you have kids, bring them with as tags are free for ages 10-14 and $5 for ages 15-17. Party hunting is also legal in MN. Last year my wife filled both her tag and mine, 10 minutes into the season, with 2 bucks fighting in front of her stand.

Now to just find someone with land to hunt lol

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A MN OTC tag does NOT allow you to shoot any deer. There are specific units that allow that which are designated "Hunter Choice", but most are not. Look up the info on the MN DNR website and pick a spot to hunt. WPA's are all public land and MN has a pile of'em.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now to just find someone with land to hunt lol

Make sure you wear a suit with flashing lights and toot an air horn from time to time so a Minnituckian doesn't confuse you for a deer. The rate of hunting accidents has been absurd over there.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you wear a suit with flashing lights and toot an air horn from time to time so a Minnituckian doesn't confuse you for a deer. The rate of hunting accidents has been absurd over there.

This is a fact. I remember a story around 20 years ago, give or take a bit, where a hunter got shot while in a tree stand. Had a white handkerchief hanging out his back pocket and some hunter thought it was a deer in a tree. I don't know if that story is true, but wouldn't shock me if it was.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
A MN OTC tag does NOT allow you to shoot any deer. There are specific units that allow that which are designated "Hunter Choice", but most are not. Look up the info on the MN DNR website and pick a spot to hunt. WPA's are all public land and MN has a pile of'em.

That's why I said "many of the units". Like you mentioned, he needs to do his research. There are also many units where you need to apply in a lottery, like ND. The Minnesota deer guide is the size of a small phonebook with all of the different units/seasons/weapons restrictions/bag limits, etc. I read that there are some units this year where you could shoot 11 deer.

Besides the WPAs/WMAs there are also some large areas of state forest land in the northern part of the state with lots public hunting opportunities.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
just so every one knows Idaho non res tags will go on sale to residents tomorow as seconds for them.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would really like to go back out to Idaho but I don't know that I can invest the time needed and find someone to tag along on short notice. I feel with the remoteness of Idaho a guy shouldn't really hunt alone!

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunted Nebraska a few years back and you just purchased a deer tag online up until season starts and they are good for muley or whitetail, think they were $200. Lots of public land but lots of hunters as well, would recommend mid week hunting.

- - - Updated - - -

Minnesota also has OTC Bear in parts of the state as well!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76