Dicamba Drift?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm happy to say, I've not had to deal with any errant herbicide treatments in the 20 or so years I've been a landowner. My producer neighbors are very attentive about their pest control practices for which I am EXTREMELY grateful. I'm very protective of my trees as we have SO MANY in ND. I go so far as to include the trees in my rental contracts and make the cost per damaged tree an amount that ensures more than a passing consideration when it comes to herbicide use. I even went so far as to include a buffer zone of land around my trees that remains uncropped and in grasses. I'm pretty sure I'd be a fair bit angry to have my trees damaged or killed by careless herbicide applications and would be looking for compensation. Hate to see this happen anywhere as it's fairly disconcerting.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have to remember that chemical manufactures spend millions and millions of dollars and take many many years to research and implement a chemical and LABEL. If you have never looked at a label on a jug\bottle of chemical, you would be amazed at what is written in one (way to much to mention here). If the person is applying chemicals off label they are in violation of the laws and rules set forth by the manufacture and the EPA in that label and are there for subject to fines and restitution of what they have ruined. File a complaint with the Department of Ag. they will find out if anything was done off label.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was in an area that had sandy soil, and a really bad problem with leafy spurge, so everyone and their brothers and sisters were spraying it. Ended up leaching into the ground water. They did take samples of her water and it was there. You have to remember that most flowers and garden plants just need to get a smell of most chemicals and they get dinged up.

- - - Updated - - -

As far as the dicamba thing, it will be interesting to see what happens as the drift issues are showing up more and more all the time. Awhile back in Arkansas or Missouri they had one farmer shoot and kill another farmer over dicamba drifting onto his crops. Even if there is no wind at the time you spray it, there can be what they call an inversion, and the vapor can lift off the crop you sprayed and a breeze an move it somewhere else.

Sandy soil and tordon are a bad combo.

Organic farmers are probably the most up in arms with their neighbors. You are talking serious problems if an organic farmer pops positive for an herbicide like this.

I HATE leafy spurge!

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, just about all the growth regulator chemicals (dicamba, 2,4-d, MCPE/A, clopyralid, fluroxypyr, etc.) are all prone to drift and inversion. I toured the Dow plant a few years ago in Indiana a few years ago and saw some of the new technology in 2,4-D/Glyphosate compound. If I remember right, they added a choline chain to the 2,4-D to make it less prone to drift. I haven't heard a lot about it since.

I had read an article a few years ago about a 2,4-D inversion that traveled 100 miles downhill if (I remember right) in California. Amazing really.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dicamba is like a hound dog. You put them on the porch in the evening but have no idea where they will be in the morning

The dicamba "drift" in my area is getting out of hand. It's mostly from inversion. Negligent growers spraying generic dicamba on the new dicamba resistant beans.

Non dicamba resistant beans don't like a sniff of dicamba. You can drive around 50 mph and see which field is which.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh I remember what messed with my oaks - curtail. Didn't bother any other trees, but it sure whacked the oaks. I have seen chemical receptors put down in wetlands and they had higher concentrations two days later than the upland they were spraying. I sprayed a small spot (50 ft across) of Canada thistle with curtail in a valley 100 yards away and thought I was safe. Nope.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad used to call Platue "Chernobyl" which is pretty fitting cause that crap seems to kill everything. Yet the next year Leafy Spurge still returns just not as healthy. Tordon and 2-4D are a death sentence for gardens, flowers, and fruit trees.
Leafy spurge is the devil!!!!

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
nothing chaps my ass more than watching a farmer spray when theres a significant wind. So far I have been lucky with the one that is currently around my property but I did watch one spray north of my house across the road with a 15-20mph wind north wind. Made me so pissed I almost freaked out before even knowing if it affected me. It didn't thankfully but boy oh boy if my young trees ever catch a drift there will be lawyers involved. The price of a mature tree is actually priceless

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's dead calm this morning so I went to the Pipestem area to shoot a little. A plane was spraying on the north side of the reservoir and it was starting to sprinkle a little. We are supposed to get rain today. Wasn't that applicator shafting the farmer? I mean if rain comes within a couple of hours doesn't much of it wash off?

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's dead calm this morning so I went to the Pipestem area to shoot a little. A plane was spraying on the north side of the reservoir and it was starting to sprinkle a little. We are supposed to get rain today. Wasn't that applicator shafting the farmer? I mean if rain comes within a couple of hours doesn't much of it wash off?

Not necessarily, that is what the rainfast intervals are for on the chemical labels. Some need just long enough to dry and others need up to 6 hours, depending on the site of action and how they work. Some of my guys are spraying this morning ahead of the rain to get additional protection from white mold in the beans, planning on spraying to within a half hour ahead of the rain.

Yoby, if it was any of the PGR's or even gylphosate damage on your trees, my guess is it would be more than a week before you would see and damage, and at that rate they will not have the burning and crispy look for at least 2 weeks. Glyphosate (Roundup), dicamba, etc are slow moving chemicals and take awhile to show symptoms and work.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some need just long enough to dry
Thanks for that info sponsy12. I always thought the lowest time was two hours and it was already sprinkling at the far NW end of Pipestem. It did stop while I was shooting so evidently they thought it was OK.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I blame guy for the dicamba drift that happened in my front yard. Neighbor sprain his creeping Jenny and subsequently killed a 1/3 of my front lawn.

Crankn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think dicamba kills grass. I used to spray it 20 yrs. ago before all the soy beans and edibles, and it never killed any grass that I know of. Did you mean he killed you're shrubs and plants?

Last edited:

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
May 10th I videoed farmer spraying next to my 1/4" mile of chokecherry trees / 1/4 mile of varied apple, pear, cherry, berry trees (32 verities) On May 24th I was out weeding trees and I noticed most of the choke cherry trees the leaves were gone on the outside edge, and starting about 100 yards from the fruit /berry trees, called the farmer I lease my land to and he said he would call the ( big name ) applicator, waited a week stopped in and manager was not nice, almost threatening! Have not heard a thing back, not sure where to go with this? If it would have drifted farther south it would have got all my fruit / berry trees, then I would go nuts. choke cherry and buffalo berry trees are 7 years old, the rest are 6yr down to 2 yrs old. A whole lot of time and water put into them! He said used roundup and 2-4D, and something else all mixed in.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76