Dicamba Drift?

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think he's spraying dicamba. But if it was roundup, he did it on a brisk northwest wind day

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

[h=1]North Dakota releases new protocols for Dicamba[/h]
North Dakota has finished new protocols for three formulations of the herbicide Dicamba, which had been implicated last year in damage to adjacent crops due to unintended drift.

Growers in 28 North Dakota counties reported problems with drift that they believed related to Dicamba use, mainly in June and early July.

The restrictions will apply only to applications made on soybeans with XtendiMax by Monsanto, Engenia by BASF and FeXapan by DuPont. The restrictions don’t affect Dicamba formulations for small grains and corn.

The restrictions are in addition to new label language released by the Environmental Protection Agency in October that classified the three newer Dicamba formulations as restricted-use products. The federal label also prohibits the use of any tank mix partners not stated on the label.

“We applaud the work done by the EPA and the registrants to develop the new label, but believe that a one-size fits all approach does not adequately address some of the unique conditions we face in our state,” North Dakota Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring said. “To address this we developed additional use restrictions for these products to minimize off-target movement of product.”

North Dakota has a dry climate, which can significantly increase product evaporation and potential for off-target movement, Goehring added.

The state’s new labels will take a few weeks to complete. XtendiMax, Engenia, and FeXapan will not be available for purchase until the registration process is complete.

The state’s additional requirements are:

• No applications may be made after June 30 or after first bloom, (R1 growth phase) whichever comes first.

• No applications may be made if air temperature of the field at the time of application exceeds 85 degrees F, or if the forecasted National Weather Service high temperature for the day exceeds 85 degrees F.

• Applications may be made only from one hour after sunrise to one hour before sunset.

• Applicators must maintain a speed of 12 mph or less when applying products.

• Prior notification must be given to NDDA. Notifications must include the basic applicator contact information and certification type. The time, date and location of the application must also be included.

• Any applicator working under the supervision of a certified private applicator must complete the Dicamba-specific training course before they may apply the product.

• No applications may be made using 80-degree or less spray nozzles.

Farmers should also strongly consider using pre-emergence weed management strategies, rather than relying solely on post-emergence applications of Dicamba or any other herbicide for weed control.

The additional restrictions don’t apply to generic Dicamba.

Dicamba is a selective herbicide used to control broadleaf weeds and woody plants. It has many applications, however, from lawn care to crop production and range management. In North Dakota, it has frequently been used for pre-plant applications for soybeans.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glad I don't have to keep up with all the application regulations for 4 states anymore.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reading this thread made my palms sweaty all over again about all the trees ive planted over the past 6 years and all the work that has went into getting them established. Man if something whacked all of them I would be pissed. Starting to think it should maybe be in rental contract as well, like KDM suggested. Thousands of dollars and weeks of work invested.

I've noticed wrinkling a few times, but nothing major. Our renter has typical soybean/corn/wheat rotation. Hope he continues to spray with caution.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
maxresdefault.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
"The jury’s verdict also found the companies conspired to damage crops in order to increase profits of dicamba-tolerant seed and related herbicides."

Gree-ee-ee-easy.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good. It's ridiculous that one farmers crop can be affected if some other farmer in the area screws up.
My dad had some Dicamba damage last year on his beans. I think he handled it better than I would -- I don't farm myself, but know if the guy across the road from my place f-ed up my trees, I would be out to choke someone.

Last edited:

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a visit with some farmer friends of mine yesterday about this same topic. They all replied the same "we just got done spraying our dicamba beans yesterday." :confused:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't see many stopping their use of this. That is until a few get caught and fined a big pile of money.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I wonder if the same logic of the verdict could be applied to field drain tile where the water is dumped on someone else and causes them $$$ loss.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apparently.

- - - Updated - - -

But then the people could bring it to a vote I guess

- - - Updated - - -

Could actually be a great bargaining chip. If they pass a no trespass bill we will eliminate the use of it

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I read that correctly it says only that it will be banned for use on soybeans and cotton. I didn't read anything that says it will be banned on corn or using it as a burndown in the spring. Maybe I missed it but I don't see where it will be banned, it'll just be taken off the label to be sprayed on beans and such. Rather stupid in my opinion. Dicamba was being used long before dicamba tolerant beans were put on the market and I'm sure it'll be used for a long time yet.

I used a low volatility formulation of dicamba mixed with glyphosate as a burn down on corn ground this spring. I sprayed right next to some 3 year old trees that the wind was blowing in their direction. I was worried about my trees so I stayed a little bit away from them and lowered my booms as low as could to minimize any drift. Haven't noticed any damage, I'm sure if I looked real close I might find some leaves with damage but I'm not worried I'm going to kill them.

Farmers need to do everything they can to minimize drift and hurting others crops and trees. Mainly they just need to use common sense and not spray during times of inversion or bad wind conditions. There are low drift nozzles, and drift reduction additives. Rather stupid to ban the use of dicamba on beans because a few people ruin it for the rest.

I won't even comment on the idiotic eyexer comment above.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's hard to blame tree damage just on Dicamba. We have some trees that sit in a poor position for spray drift and have never done well. There's no Dicamba being used there up until maybe two years ago, but plenty of spray damage before. Hard to say it is 100% of the cause, but similar 5 row tree belts planted at the same time are doing significantly better. Plenty of glyphosate, treflan, Poast, Spartan, Express, and others used from year to year. I'll be curious to see how the Dicamba "ban" works out. Oh, and I might add I've seen plenty of drifted spray damage on crops too, and not from Dicamba. It all comes down to proper application techniques. Growing up it seemed it had to be dead calm to spray. Now, I see the sprayers going (both ground and air based) in what I consider windy conditions. Technology has helped that for sure, but it still makes me wonder at times?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76