Wildlife vs. The Drought of '17

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me preface this by saying my thoughts go out to the farmers/ ranchers that are having to deal with this drought weather. Praying for a good day long soaker for the three state area ASAP.

I can't help but be super concerned for all the critters out there, especially deer in the extreme/ exceptional drought areas on the SD/ ND/ MT map. I haven't heard any reports of EHD/ Blue Tongue yet- but wouldn't surprise me if a bad wave comes through. Those tanks can only last so long before water turns sour.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have gotten 3 inches in the last 2 weeks and everything is green it has been amazing

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's much greener around Bismarck. The recent rains are offering a glimmer of hope. Too late for some but the weather seems to be backing off a bit.

Those extra hot days in September seem to trigger EHD. Hopefully the cooler weather will stay around.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a relative that ranches near Faith SD, they haven't had more than a dust settler since June.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If memory serves me, I've received about 1.25 in th last month or so. NE of Williston. Lawn is a bit greener but pastures suck. My stock pond is real low and turning green.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what happens if we have a tough winter this year? With pretty much everything out there being hayed or grazed if you drive around there really isn't much cover or food left in a lot of areas. This winter could be really tough on wildlife and farmers/ranchers if we don't have a long cool and wet fall .

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my area i'll break it down into birds and deer. For birds, the cover that's been lost to haying is being replaced by cattails where the sloughs have dried up. Areas where I normally duck hunt is dry and the cattails have filled in. For deer, there doesn't seem to be any issues at all. They may be congregating around water a bit more, but with the crops still on, I really can't tell.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How far West of you along the border has gotten those rains?

We have a stockpile site by thunder hawk and it has rained enough to not be able to haul four times in the last 2 weeks.

Just in faith last week to pour concrete and got over an inch I think it was Thursday

- - - Updated - - -

And is raining like a cow pissing on a flat Rock in thunder hawk right now

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what happens if we have a tough winter this year? With pretty much everything out there being hayed or grazed if you drive around there really isn't much cover or food left in a lot of areas. This winter could be really tough on wildlife and farmers/ranchers if we don't have a long cool and wet fall .

That concerns me as well.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
The rains were so hit and miss this summer. No real good blanket soakers. Just random thunderstorms, primarily. Around home it is quite dry, but if I drive 20 minutes north, it is very wet. If I drive 10 minutes south, there is far more moisture as well.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For birds, the cover that's been lost to haying is being replaced by cattails where the sloughs have dried up. Areas where I normally duck hunt is dry and the cattails have filled in.

Pray to the gods of diesel fuel and propane weed burners that they may remain unused this fall.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure hope the pyros aren't out this fall like they have been. With all the cover missing, those cattail sloughs are all that's left. Lose those and, well, buh-bye critters.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sure hope the pyros aren't out this fall like they have been. With all the cover missing, those cattail sloughs are all that's left. Lose those and, well, buh-bye critters.

If it is that dry they wont be able to burn as the burn bans will still be on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
maybe they do it different up there but if you even fart with a match close here when the ban was on you better get your check book out. They have now removed our burn ban due to 4 plus inches of rain the last few weeks

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
They'll just till it under if it's too dry to burn. Then seed it next year. Then after a couple good rains it'll be a lake with 2" tall beans.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
They'll just till it under if it's too dry to burn. Then seed it next year. Then after a couple good rains it'll be a lake with 2" tall beans.

damn you guys must have some ruthless farmers up there

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56