Wildlife Habitat

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're starting to plan our tree plantings for next with our local NRCS. I've been doing some plantings the last several years. Our planting this spring was the biggest so far, 8 rows wide, 1600'. Species were cedars on the outside rows, and the 6 in the middle were all berries. Two rows each-chokecherry, buffalo berry, and silverberry.

What's some of the bigger wildlife shelter belts that you've seen? What species?

We're wanting to gear this planting more in the favor of the deer. And by that I mean include some tree's that someday will hold a ladder stand for my children! The NRCS shy's away from putting in any tall tree's due to the Raptors, but I'm not so sure this will be that big of an issue. It's going to be the biggest planting we've done thus far (2000'+).

Just looking for a little insight. I know there are several of you out there who have spent a lot of time putting tree's in the ground.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is this located? Soil type? cuddos to you for doing this!

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes the tree needs to fit the area.
But those old shelterbelts from the 30s had cottonwood down the middle and I have planted them for their size. Should be able to get high enough in time with the stand to see the whole country. Maybe to high for the bow.
It all takes time but would like to see evergreens. Cedars fine but bigger ones. Pine trees will help make the horns darker but for me harder to get to grow.
Caracana (sp) is nice and thick with a soft bark that deer like to rub on and they can spread out nicely. tuff tree that grows well. Besides the berries I would try some fruit trees like the trees with small apples.
Green ash seems to do well. More for what a shelterbelt is than the deer but you need to have trees not only for food but cover for the deer and shelter for them so I feel you need some height down the middle.
Black walnut is slow and I am told will not survive but I did get black walnut from the FSA office who said they will do just find. Maybe more for looks and not deer.
Deer love acorns. For me, oak trees seem somewhat hard to get going.
My Ohio buckeye seems to grow well, they say fruit is poison but they also say deer will eat the nut just fine.
But whatever this is great to see, I commend you and wish you the best and in time you will be well rewarded. db

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Location is SW ND. Soil types are E133C (Vebar-Cohagen: Fine Sandy loam) & E0415 (Belfiel-Daglum complex). It's not the best soil. It's in the 6D group of tree selection for NRCS. Which really limits the choice for Tree, Shrubs & Conifers.

Tree's
Green Ash
Siberian Elm
Arnold Hawthron
Russian Olive

Conifer's
Rocky Mountain Juniper
Ponderosa Pine
Scotch Pine
Eastern Red Cedar

Shrub's
Silver Buffaloberry
Caragana
Chokecherry
Golden Currant
Honeysuckle
Lilac
American Plum
Hansen Hedge Rose
Woods Rose
Western Sandcherry
Silverberry
Skunkbush Sumac

I will tell you that I won't be anymore Eastern Red Cedar. I've planted them several times over the years and they never make it. Even the re-plants. Very disappointing to say the least.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The green ash is probably your best hope for a tree stand. The Siberian elm will grow straight and tall but they are brittle. Just a big weed really.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Russian Olive is also a bush and I never like them but if that is what will grow then that is what one plants. The pines I was told to plant were the ponderosa as they survive better but I just have a problem getting them into the second year. Maybe its the 24d or round I use. db

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have lots of cottonwoods in my area. they grow fast it seems. Also, poplar trees do well. This is south central part of the state.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
We planned to do eight rows, might bump it up to 10rows. Might be better thermal cover for the critters as well.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76