Hail the bison

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm a bit concerned about the strength of schedule. Now they have a week off, then play Robert Morris, another garbage team that will be a massive blowout. If anything, it will give the 2nd and 3rd stringers valuable playing experience.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
First of all yes it has become more difficult for NDSU to get anyone to play them including FBS teams. Secondly the Bison actually make more money from a home game (any home game as they all sell out) then a guarantee from a non P5 school so it's simple economics. It is what it is, a cheap home game and a chance to get the younger players some experience to build depth.

I'm not a giant sports fan, and last thing I would ever be is a coach. But don't you want to play opponents at or above you level to evaluate yourself and spark improvement. I guess I thought playing completion below your level was a hindrance to development. I suppose the best route is a helping of both, especially with the physical beating at this level, some of the hits are just nuts...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
always has to be a who fan - just just cannot take press that the bison get:

[h=2]atest Reputation Received (61 point(s) total)[/h]

- - - Updated - - -

Sat. 9/23/2017 Robert Morris (Trees Bowl) Fargo, N.D. 2:30 p.m. DetailsSat. 9/30/2017 * Missouri State (Homecoming) Fargo, N.D. 1 p.m. DetailsSat. 10/7/2017 *Indiana State Terre Haute, Ind. 12 p.m. DetailsSat. 10/14/2017 * Youngstown State Youngstown, Ohio 6 p.m. DetailsSat. 10/21/2017 * Western Illinois Fargo, N.D. 2:30 p.m. DetailsSat. 10/28/2017 * Northern Iowa Fargo, N.D. 2:30 p.m. DetailsSat. 11/4/2017 * South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) Brookings, S.D. 2 p.m. DetailsSat. 11/11/2017 * South Dakota (Harvest Bowl) Fargo, N.D. 2:30 p.m. DetailsSat. 11/18/2017 *Illinois State Normal, Ill. 12 p.m. Details

- - - Updated - - -

of the games coming up --- Youngstown, Northern Iowa, SD are going to be the ones that are going to be good. I like close games - i have buddies that want everygame be a blowout - -no thanks, The playoffs - generally the first game is a blowout team then the latter ones are the best and as always the best one is right before xmas. Holiday time doesnt get any better. Were #1 ----- Now they dropped the rules - supposedly MN wants another game with us.

supermag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, NDSU can't exactly hand pick opponents at the start of the season. They try to get an FBS every couple years, but not many want to pay NDSU to potentially beat them. Last year they had 3 solid non-conference opponents, 2 that took them to OT and the Iowa Hawkeyes that had a great season at the FBS level the year before and finished strong last year. This year they have 2 cupcakes (still D1 teams) and a perennial contender in Eastern Washington. Eastern looks to be in a down year, but that contract was signed in 2014. Looking ahead, they've scheduled Delaware (solid FCS program), UND(on the rise and will be much tougher than last time they played), Oregon,Arizona, and Colorado. I'd love them to have a couple solid non-conference games and 1 easier game every year,, but sometimes they need to get to 11 D1 games one way or another to get the schedule filled.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a giant sports fan, and last thing I would ever be is a coach. But don't you want to play opponents at or above you level to evaluate yourself and spark improvement. I guess I thought playing completion below your level was a hindrance to development. I suppose the best route is a helping of both, especially with the physical beating at this level, some of the hits are just nuts...
Sure but you also need to win games if you want to keep your job. And part of that is getting younger players reps and building depth. That's been one of the things that has gotten NDSU to the level they are at right now. Also, the coach doesn't do the scheduling, they have input but they are not seeking out the opponents and doing the contracts and such. It's a full time job.

Scheduling is hard if you want 6 home games every year. They try to schedule an FBS, a good FCS and a cupcake OOC game every year. Lately the FBS and good FCS teams have not been answering the phone. To get quality FCS teams in Fargo most have to be home and home deals. When you have to travel to another FCS team then it's either pick an FBS or another home game. These games are scheduled years in advance and you can't tell when a team is going to be up or down unfortunately.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you play in the MVFC strength of schedule won't be a problem. Thery almost always have 6 in the top 25 and quite often 7(7 right now) and 8 out of 10 has happened. Now for the crazy sounding part, I think, not likely but sorta possible, a all North Dakota final is possible. UND can play defense, at least against the schlubs in the Big Sky. The Big Sky often gets it's ass kissed by the selection comittee. A James Madison screw up and UND is even closer. James Madison is very good but shaky because their players are often in trouble. Most likely scenario though will be a Bison-Jackrabbit final which would be fun as well.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know it's a worn out discussion, and I've been on the side of NDSU staying FCS but this is getting crazy. They're kind of in a tough spot in that they're too good for FCS but making the jump to being legitimate FBS is so monstrous...

Full disclaimer - I'm a UND guy (and we'll be lucky to go .500)...

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Preseason is over. MVC play starts and every weekend is potentially a tough game. Especially when most of the games against the top of the league are on the road. Don't look for any more blowouts. Every point is going to be important.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Preseason is over. MVC play starts and every weekend is potentially a tough game. Especially when most of the games against the top of the league are on the road. Don't look for any more blowouts. Every point is going to be important.

Bet the next 2 games are blowouts , but then it does get tougher with the trip to Youngstown

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
If they don't beat Missouri state by 40 I'll be heavily disappointed cuz Und killed them , and as proven thus far , Und is awful..... getting crushed by 4 tds at home by Montana state ...... c'mon man . Goodbye national top 25 ranking

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That Lance kid is a hell of a player but it appears he’s going to have a short career and a whole mess of cte if he keeps playing like he does.

edit- this is the first football game I’ve watched all year. So what the hell do i know

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than Trey Lance they didn't show much for offense today. Thought they would open up more play action.
Glad they won and gets tougher all the time.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75