Diesel pickup exhaust

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2009 F250 that is starting to take a long time to complete the Exhaust Gas Filter regeneration cycle. It seems like it's been struggling as of late, like when pulling a load to complete the cycle. The next day when I get in the pickup without a load on it, it goes straight to "Drive to Clean Exhaust" mode. Yesterday it took 45 minutes for it to complete the cycle.

Firstly: While no check engine light has come on, am I correct in thinking the exhaust is getting plugged?

Secondly: What's the best way to go about fixing this? Replacement of exhaust, or getting it pickled (I think that's the term I've heard).

Lastly: Who in the Bismarck area can handle this?

dakotaeye29

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talk to Bisman Autoworks, they are good diesel mechanics. They put exhaust and a programmer in my truck and done a few other things.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it a 6.4l? I used to have a 6.4l that had the exact same issue. I ended up taking it to the dealer, and turns out there was a software update that needed to be done. They completed the update and then I had zero issues from that point on. Might be something to check into.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put stacks on it. that should solve your problems and make you look like a bad ass too.

ford-f250-lifted-with-stacks-1.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha hah hah, remember I'm a hunter. I prefer my badassedness to sneak up on and catch people and wild game off their guard.

dewey89

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your best bet for engine longevity, fuel economy, and power would be to delete all of the emissions garbage on that engine and run a decent programmer. In the long run it will be a cheaper option for you, the regen will eventually lead to the back two cylinders burning up.

Is it safe to assume that your fuel economy is poor at the moment?

Does it seem as though your engine isn't heating up as high as it normally would?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, hadn't noticed anything on the engine heating side of things, but that could just be because I haven't paid close attention to that.

As far as fuel economy, yes...it's crap. Regen mode drops fuel economy down to about 7 mpg while in regen mode (the handful of times I've checked). And while pulling, it usually gets about 13, but it's now dropped down to a little less than 10 overall. Which again suggests it's spending too much time in regen.

I've thought about chipping and deleting but am thinking I'd probably just fix what's wrong with it now and look into getting a different set of wheels about this time next year. So chipping wouldn't really pan out for me with the 10-15k I'd put on it between now and then. Plus, I don't think the dealers appreciate chips if I decide to trade it in.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To be honest I can't believe you made it that long. Cummins recommends a DPF cleaning at 75k miles and I've heard of many trucks needed full DPF replacement before that.... most of it due to underuse. People don't realize (not saying you Allen) that with these new diesels they need to keep them on the highway and use them for what they're meant, pulling.

Depends on the money you want to spend or have available. A good tuner and full exhaust replacement can cost well over $2500, but so can a new DPF. I always wanted to delete and tune mine as that's for sure the best bet for the longevity of the motor, but I sold it before I could save that kind of money. The problem with tuning is understanding all the extra power you are running through your truck and driving it right. Not like I would when I was 22 which involved smoking people out with my exhaust.... HOT rodding a tuned diesel will surely lead to head gasket and transmission problems. Many tunes recommend you put head studs on as well.

I'll quit rambling now.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the dealer..... most of them will void your warranty if you still have one unless you are in super tight with them. Just remember, if you do trade at some point in time they will not give you a penny more for all those deleted emissions parts you spent your money on.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, my truck probably has nearly half of its miles pulling something and I have a 4Runner to take me out for groceries. A Lund Fisherman at a minimum and at most it pulls the camper/boat combo with a combined weight of around 11k pounds. This problem has popped up over the past 1000 miles, or so.

Just bit the bullet and called the dealership to make an appointment. I'll let you all know what it turns out to be, and the damage to the pocketbook. Like I said earlier, it's been a damn great truck so far. Oil, fuel, filters, tires, brake job, and a few radiator hoses are all she's asked of me so far.

Couple of fellas I know that have tuned their F250s have had drivetrain issues. My warranty ran out at 100k.

Pedro

Established Member
If you do a full egr and dpf delete with tune with exhaust and intake you won't want a new ride anymore. I believe I ordered the kit thru KT performance for my 6.4

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
That may be true. But by the time I get rid of it, I will have been driving it for some 9 years. Maybe I'll keep it a little longer than a year, but owning/driving something for 9-10 years is enough for me.

I find the older I get, the less tolerant I am of having to work on vehicles. While it's been a great truck, with each passing mile/day I have to think it's getting closer to ball joints, oil cooler, injectors, u-joints, etc, etc. Yeah, the prices on new trucks are through the roof, but there's some comfort to be had in the extra confidence of getting where you intended when you started out the day.

Then I'll start the whole internal debate over whether or not to chip the next truck. I've never "needed" any more oomph than this one has, but the extra fuel mileage would be nice.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
allen i have a 2010 and had a similar issue... you can run a hose up into the exhaust and leave it there and flood the exhaust for about 45 min and clean it out (this is what the dealership does and charges you $200) or you can get rid of the problem and install a tuner, down pipe back exhaust, egr delete, and a cold air intake and gain HP and fuel mileage (this is what i did)

cold air intake AFE stage 2 ($350) (time to install 45 min)
exhaust (AFE 4" with muffler) ($429) (1.5 hours)
tuner, reccomend the spartan tuner now (i have the H&S) ($1425 amazon for spartan) (30 min)
egr delete, hardest part of the whole project, sinister diesel kit ($199) (8+ hours and a life time of yoga lessions)

the reason I went with the 4" exhaust is because your down pipe from the turbo to your exhaust is only a 4" pipe that is actually squished so you do not gain anything going bigger unless you change out that and that requires modifying your firewall, everything comes with instructions and if you follow them you can do it, it really isn't that hard and does not require a lift or any special tools

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the update. Eide techs ran through the exhaust and said everything is within specs. There was indeed a newer PCM update, so they applied that and we will just have to wait and see if this solves the problem.

Now with the cooler weather and all rapidly taking over the future, I don't know how many more times the Toon will be in tow. Remember, it's the slightly heavier load of the Toon that seems to have triggered the problems, so I am really hoping the PCM update "fixes" it. Cost of PCM update and check-up, $110.

I think if it goes into limp mode or has another nearly hour long regen cycle, I will have to seriously consider doing the delete.

dieseltech

I'm a mechanic on heavy trucks, sounds like the DPF is getting plugged, on our end we take them and bake them in a cleaner, personally with the pickups you are better off doing a full delete, it makes it a whole different pickup, all depends on the funds also

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen
How has your pickup been since the update of the PCM?
Or did you trade it off?
I have been debating doing the delete on our 2016 2500 Duramax. Don't need more power but better mileage and getting rid of that Urea would be nice.
Anyone had this done on a 16 Duramax and if so where and how much?
Will be up in NoDak the end of May and could do it then.
What tuners are the best for this? Like i said don't need more power but mileage increase would be nice.
I was told by a fellow down here in AZ that if you do this delete it is illegal for a dealer to take it in on trade. He said it has something to do with emission standards. I know a few dealers in ND that take them in on trade but don't know if it is illegal to do so.
True or BS?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen
How has your pickup been since the update of the PCM?
Or did you trade it off?
I have been debating doing the delete on our 2016 2500 Duramax. Don't need more power but better mileage and getting rid of that Urea would be nice.
Anyone had this done on a 16 Duramax and if so where and how much?
Will be up in NoDak the end of May and could do it then.
What tuners are the best for this? Like i said don't need more power but mileage increase would be nice.
I was told by a fellow down here in AZ that if you do this delete it is illegal for a dealer to take it in on trade. He said it has something to do with emission standards. I know a few dealers in ND that take them in on trade but don't know if it is illegal to do so.
True or BS?

Mike's custom truck in Northwood gets my vote as a shop to tune and delete. Price depends on what you want. There are hundreds of different tunes for milage pulling and everything in between

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mike's custom truck in Northwood gets my vote as a shop to tune and delete. Price depends on what you want. There are hundreds of different tunes for milage pulling and everything in between

Forgot about him. I had my 02 Ford over there when i still had it.
Those boys know what they are doing for sure.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75