Game & Fish Numbers

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mean the gabe/fritz/plainsman-esque nature of arguing about something then posting someone else's article, effectively claiming king of the internet. I still prefer the "go fist yourself" responses. much more to the point.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Come on, don't become one of them. This place is already noticeably less fun.

Then why do so many read what they don't like??? I don't read the grab ass Jr. High threads (of which there are a lot of).
But if I rarely do I don't go to the key board and bitch about it. I find what Kurt just posted educational. JMHO.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mean the gabe/fritz/plainsman-esque nature of arguing about something then posting someone else's article, effectively claiming king of the internet. I still prefer the "go fist yourself" responses. much more to the point.

I never claimed I wrote or that is my article. I said it was sdgfp and it is on their website. Thought posting good info was a good thing. If you want I can just say they are dumb fucks and should keep searching for a clue and just making it up as they go. Fuck me I guess I don't know what I should do any more

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good lord I know you didn't claim to write the article. The point is lost on you. Carry on. Go team South Dakota!

- - - Updated - - -

Then why do so many read what they don't like??? I don't read the grab ass Jr. High threads (of which there are a lot of).
But if I rarely do I don't go to the key board and bitch about it. I find what Kurt just posted educational. JMHO.
Cool story bro.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr I had a fellow that drove every day from Aberdeen to work with me. He had worked with pheasants, and for a short time with Pheasants Forever. Maybe the Game and Fish isn't releasing pheasants, but other groups sure release a lot of them.

birds flushed are 5:1 roosters to hens.
Yes, and Canvasbacks are the only game bird I am familiar with that has an off balance sex ratio. Pheasants don't survive the high wind blizzards of the Dakota's. They barely hang on without stocking in Nebraska.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
THe NDGF makes decisions based upon revenue reports and what they are told to do by the governor and the legislature. The end.

- - - Updated - - -

I just want to see a detailed report outlining the expenditures used to trap, tranquilize, and GPS collar mountain lions in the Theodore Roosevelt park. That would be an interesting read with a cup of Coffee.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
First what is a good load for the .243 with nosler partition. Thinking i might go that way with the kids rifle this year

Second i got reprimanded for posting a report about pheasants. The mountain lion report would be a good read think of all the pheasant stocking they could have done with mountain lion money

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt I loaded W760 with 100 gr Partition for my kids 30 years ago. I was getting a little over 3000fps. I see the load manuals have backed off from that. I suppose the powders have changed over the years. Hybrid 100V looks like a super powder for the 100 gr pills now. Over 3100 with the Partition would be devastating. I used W760 because we shot a lot and we didn't have to trickle ball powder.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
You got that right.

Here you go Mike it sounds like you need one of these
image.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't put much faith in the brood count of pheasants on years like this because the pheasants have gone to where there is water and game and fish aren't checking broods in those area's for the most part.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
First what is a good load for the .243 with nosler partition. Thinking i might go that way with the kids rifle this year

Second i got reprimanded for posting a report about pheasants. The mountain lion report would be a good read think of all the pheasant stocking they could have done with mountain lion money

I entirely believe the point was lost on you. I was no reprimanding you. It was actually a good read. Pick up that bottom lip now.

- - - Updated - - -

Here you go Mike it sounds like you need one of these
webcam magpie 039.jpg

good one. I like snickers while I'm out bowhunting in years of no rifle tag.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a kick out of the ND Outdoors article stating "Winter aerial surveys were not conducted in the Sheyenne, James and southern Red River Valley due to inadequate snow cover. " WTF??? There was a good 2 feet by mid-December!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr I had a fellow that drove every day from Aberdeen to work with me. He had worked with pheasants, and for a short time with Pheasants Forever. Maybe the Game and Fish isn't releasing pheasants, but other groups sure release a lot of them.

Yes, and Canvasbacks are the only game bird I am familiar with that has an off balance sex ratio. Pheasants don't survive the high wind blizzards of the Dakota's. They barely hang on without stocking in Nebraska.

Show us ANY large scale stocking effort in ND in the last 30 years! Your best bet is 93 through 99 where you might find something. Fact is pheasants are self sustaining in ND and have been since the soil bank years. Hell NE trouble is they are getting to far south and have a huge lack of upland cover!

- - - Updated - - -

Got a kick out of the ND Outdoors article stating "Winter aerial surveys were not conducted in the Sheyenne, James and southern Red River Valley due to inadequate snow cover. " WTF??? There was a good 2 feet by mid-December!
Yep but they didnt fly till January when it looked like this.

Screenshot_20170913-221537.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Show us ANY large scale stocking effort in ND in the last 30 years!
Your probably right about large scale Dean. Where I go shooting west of my house I have to drive slow because of all the dumb young released pheasants on the road. It takes them at least a week to learn to stay off the road. I think they release about 500 every year over about four sections. I don't think the state has been doing much, but local clubs are still releasing. I think it's the Wildlife Federation that released in many spots around Jamestown. United Sportsmen may release some to, I don't know. Combine all the small clubs around the state and a lot of birds get released.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the olden days there were a lot of pheasants on the prairie around here , Back then farmers summer fallowed and didn't have straw choppers on their combines or big harrows to break up the straw so they burned the swaths of straw in the spring. My Dad was born in 1920 and told many a pheasant hunting story by the late 50s pheasant were few and far between around here.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your probably right about large scale Dean. Where I go shooting west of my house I have to drive slow because of all the dumb young released pheasants on the road. It takes them at least a week to learn to stay off the road. I think they release about 500 every year over about four sections. I don't think the state has been doing much, but local clubs are still releasing. I think it's the Wildlife Federation that released in many spots around Jamestown. United Sportsmen may release some to, I don't know. Combine all the small clubs around the state and a lot of birds get released.

500 birds is about the number I'd run across on a section of land out west around 10 years ago. I'd think you'd want to be releasing a hell of a lot more than that if your goal was to provide a regional stocking of birds.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62