Game & Fish Numbers

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasants are self sustaining there's no question. To think they would all die off without stocking is asinine. End of story

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you ice fished last year --- you know that a stretch of Nodak didnt get much snow cover. Not all the birds died. If you hunt em - you know where to look.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep but they didnt fly till January when it looked like this.
Not sure where you got your pic from but this shows plenty of snow cover on February 1st: https://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/interac...ight=450&nw=800&nh=450&h_o=0&font=0&js=1&uc=0

ssm_depth.2017020112.0.800.450._13455.3172._12913.4136.dem.shading.ilm.m.1.0.0.0.0.0.png

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I mean the gabe/fritz/plainsman-esque nature of arguing about something then posting someone else's article, effectively claiming king of the internet. I still prefer the "go fist yourself" responses. much more to the point.

Holy man, not even posting in the thread and your panties are still bunching up your vagina. Buy a thicker pad and see if that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

Your probably right about large scale Dean. Where I go shooting west of my house I have to drive slow because of all the dumb young released pheasants on the road. It takes them at least a week to learn to stay off the road. I think they release about 500 every year over about four sections. I don't think the state has been doing much, but local clubs are still releasing. I think it's the Wildlife Federation that released in many spots around Jamestown. United Sportsmen may release some to, I don't know. Combine all the small clubs around the state and a lot of birds get released.

Yep all those kids involved are just doing it for the "georges" though. ;)

Now ya got something to whine about mikey.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
ahh Gabe, you and your incredibly high cholesterol. Back for another day of internet fun I see. As you can see, I lumped all three of you together. You're the same troll to me, regardless of username. I sincerely hope you don't infect yet another website. If you aren't noticing a pattern yet, well then you're dumber than I thought.

P.S. I'll continue ignoring you now.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy man, not even posting in the thread and your panties are still bunching up your vagina. Buy a thicker pad and see if that helps.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought you had class at least?

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is surprising how some things go on here.
We just do not love each other sometimes and maybe for some it is having fun when one hides behind a fictitious name. Makes ones day better or at least feel better at someone others expense. Adds to the drama. I will admit that one named buster did get to me on FB one time.

So I got someone to make some remarks to me by reputation and not sure how one knows who sent it and I guess that is fine but no I was not drunk nor was i in shock. So I will now work on posting a topic on food plots and how it is going for me this year. It has been great and I really do enjoy my time on here. db

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pheasants are self sustaining there's no question. To think they would all die off without stocking is asinine. End of story

Yea I can't believe anyone would say otherwise. G&F said hunters shot about 500,000 pheasants last year in ND. No way in hell there are anywhere close to that many being released.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
500 birds is about the number I'd run across on a section of land out west around 10 years ago. I'd think you'd want to be releasing a hell of a lot more than that if your goal was to provide a regional stocking of birds.
Ya, kind of looks like a token release, but I think they release more around this area. I think it's mostly voluntary so your not going to get birds in the thousands.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
1,170,596 pheasants harvested last year in SD with a estimated population of 8.2 million

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
1,170,596 pheasants harvested last year in SD with a estimated population of 8.2 million
You guys have as many pheasants in one county as we do our state. Years ago as I would drive from Aberdeen to Jamestown I could never understand why the South Dakota farmers appeared to have better habitat and took better care of their land than the guys right across the border. I still don't understand the program or what caused that.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to search for the article but I've read released pheasants have a one year survival rate of around 1 percent. Not good. I think the bigger point is that when pheasants have optimal habitat they can do very well here. But, with limited habitat and poor weather things can go downhill quickly. Birds will be in pockets rather than everywhere. They aren't going anywhere but numbers will be low with the lack of habitat we've created.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
ahh Gabe, you and your incredibly high cholesterol. Back for another day of internet fun I see. As you can see, I lumped all three of you together. You're the same troll to me, regardless of username. I sincerely hope you don't infect yet another website. If you aren't noticing a pattern yet, well then you're dumber than I thought.

P.S. I'll continue ignoring you now.

sure ya will......just like ya did this time;) you got quite the "pattern" going there with that ignore/not really thing.

- - - Updated - - -

You guys have as many pheasants in one county as we do our state. Years ago as I would drive from Aberdeen to Jamestown I could never understand why the South Dakota farmers appeared to have better habitat and took better care of their land than the guys right across the border. I still don't understand the program or what caused that.

:;:lame

- - - Updated - - -

I thought you had class at least?

So is that you as in you or you as in me?

You mean "class" like telling someone to go preform a gay sex act on themselves when they aren;t even posting in a thread? Class indeed........

I mean the gabe/fritz/plainsman-esque nature of arguing about something then posting someone else's article, effectively claiming king of the internet. I still prefer the "go fist yourself" responses. much more to the point.

- - - Updated - - -

If "you" are menstrating and were offended, my apologizes.

- - - Updated - - -

besides the doc said my cholesterol is not bad.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
The habitat the habitat......it's a theme. 2007 was the last banner year for me. They were everywhere.

Today I farm the same land the same way and they are few. What changed? These dry as hell springs/summers from March until August suck for the hatch. Chicks need dew to hydrate and aphids for food. There was none. Exceptional drought category 4.

Alfalfa fields are an excellent nursery. Back in 2007 there were several nests in every field. Today....cut all day to see two. What I do is take some hay from the windrow and pile it around the south side of the nest so when she returns she has shade. But that is a double edged sword. Predators key in on that pile.

Had two duck nests about 200 yards apart. One flushed so I cut around it leaving some hay standing. When I came back to check the predators got it and then noticed the other duck sitting right out in the open sun. They hatched.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drought is no good for anyone: farmers, ranchers, wildlife. No doubt about it. But to say habitat has no value to wildlife is a bit of a stretch Fritz. A big fucking stretch.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
BBQ, I never said habitat has no value. After farming a piece of ground for 31 years the landlord died and I bought one quarter. The landlord never wanted tree rows before but I prepped the ground this year and 5 tree rows are going in next year.

I've used a weed badger before and they work. Except if the ground gets dry and hard or the weeds get ahead. Weed barrier fabric may be the way to go until years later when the trees are huntable but the fabric makes a lot of noise walking on it and I don't like the gap in habitat.

I see PrairieGhost gave you a thumbs up moments after you posted. You guys..........

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Drought is no good for anyone: farmers, ranchers, wildlife. No doubt about it. But to say habitat has no value to wildlife is a bit of a stretch Fritz. A big fucking stretch.

Ha, wonder if his fellow church council members would give a thumbs up on that one too......

What kinda trees you putting in fritz, the deer have ate all our green ash back so they are bushes up here. Pretty hard on the cotton woods as well. Going to try the tubes next go.

We put in fabric this last set of trees but don;t know if I would do it again. We built a 10' sprayer that is wind proof. Works pretty good.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stools aren't held up with one leg. There's plenty of factors that create a healthy population. When all conditions are favorable, the limiting factor is now carrying capacity of the habitat. It's pretty simple. Unfortunately, my dog and I will have to put a few more miles on this year. I know she won't complain.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79