Dog proof coon traps

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody have any good recommendations for minimizing the incidental catching of cats in the DP's?

rapala_09

Honored Member
I thought the dog proof traps had a trigger inside that needs to be pulled with "Coon like" fingers in order to go off? I wouldn't think cats could set them off any easier than dogs. Have you been having issues with incidental felines getting nabbed or what?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought the dog proof traps had a trigger inside that needs to be pulled with "Coon like" fingers in order to go off? I wouldn't think cats could set them off any easier than dogs. Have you been having issues with incidental felines getting nabbed or what?

Haven't caught any in the past, but also haven't trapped as close to mine or my neighbors place that I'd like to. Don't really know if it's an issue or not, but want to make sure before setting them.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I use oil sunflowers seeds for bait. Coons like them and cats show no interest. Not foolproof but I have caught quite a few coons and zero cats.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use marshmallows for bait. I have not seen many cats eating them.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lil grizz getter,, and use marshmellows with jam or peanutbutter for bait..

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use marshmallows for bait. I have not seen many cats eating them.

^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^ If you are still worried about cats, just bring a 5 gallon bucket. If you do catch one, put the bucket over the cat, sit on the bucket, pull the trapped foot outside the bucket, release, then step back and kick the bucket over. Safe for all involved and really easy. Used this method when releasing unwanted catches up to the size of medium racoons. Even did it with a small fox. Works well.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
DP's catch cats. Use sweet bait. Orange slice candys and marsh mellows. Best lure I have found is Dobbins coon candy, the bastards can't walk by that stuff. Leave extra marsh mellows and candy around trap so cats can get to it.

Close to where our barn cats are we use a live trap, not the one time use junk they sell at the store. A welded strong live trap is expensive but catches allot of them bastards. Eggs in the live trap work awesome.

i set 7 DP's out further from the yard. Culvert crossing, trail up the hill and any other spots we find coon scat.

we killed over 20 last year and this year we have got 10.

Eggs, and sweet bait will minimize cats breaking legs in your traps but will not eliminate the chance of catching 100%

Some DP's fire on push, some on pull or both directions.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a whole family of baby skunks one time. Had several set in a well used coon area. That sucked! Full grown skunks aren't suppose to be able to reach in but baby ones are kind like ferrets. They slink in.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
This guy was tricked by a marshmello and a dab of Dobbins Coon Candy. That shit works suprisingly well. The orange fiberglass rod has the marshmello suspeded in the middle of the cage with the lure smeared above it.

IMG_9910.jpg
IMG_9912.jpg

Goose Bandit

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had great luck using the white styrofoam coffee cups over my dp’s. I just pinch a hole in the side of the cup and put it over the dp, and put a couple drops of anise on the top of the cup. Great eye appeal, weatherproofs the set. Cats don’t bother with it, coons just knock it off. Very cheap from sams or Walmart

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had great luck using the white styrofoam coffee cups over my dp’s. I just pinch a hole in the side of the cup and put it over the dp, and put a couple drops of anise on the top of the cup. Great eye appeal, weatherproofs the set. Cats don’t bother with it, coons just knock it off. Very cheap from sams or Walmart

I used the cup thing once until I started seeing my cups blowing across the fields. I didn't think my landowners would appreciate me littering up their property so now I use golf balls, which work in a similar fashion. You just can't put your dp's at too steep an angle unless you pound a nail into the golf balls to keep them over the end. Just put some jelly on the golf ball and they knock the thing right off and it doesn't go anywhere. It also helps to keep them DAMNABLE MICE from eating all the bait while waiting for a coon to come by.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to get me some dp traps just need to decide which one to get. With our nesting predator program we get 10 dollars a coon that almost pays for the traps. Going to try and help out the ducks this year around some slough areas

Last edited:

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was live trapping coons and had a big one in trap. So, i haul trap out in open with my buddy. Told him i will turn him lose and we will have some fun. I had a hi standard 22 and he had a 22 mag wheel. Told him to wait a second to shoot and please not to shoot me once the coon left.

What could go wrong.
Ah the memories. db

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've only used Dukes and have had good luck.
I use Dukes also and Fruit loops for bait. I catch lots of Coons and Skunks. I fill the cylinder half full and sprinkle some on the ground to get there attention

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to get me some dp traps just need to decide which one to get. With our nesting predator program we get 10 dollars a coon that almost pays for the traps. Going to try and help out the ducks this year around some slough areas
Coons are so easy to catch. You should be able to catch lots of them. Abandoned farmstead's are the best. My Son sets DP's at a artesian well and it's crazy the amount of Coons he catches. He will catch 25 to 30 in a week. He pulls his traps for a week or two and then reset them..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76