Pheasant opener 2017

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this is the first ever opener that I didn't fire a shot all day. Saw maybe a dozen hens all day. Walked a ton in the wolf creek area...Don't waste your time going there. Now to figure out where to try tomorrow.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This years opener was an exercise in exercise. Which I need anyway, so it wasn't a total waste. (Grin)

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
This years opener was an exercise in exercise. Which I need anyway, so it wasn't a total waste. (Grin)
I watched 2 of my daughter's play in an all day BB tournament, n that got my heart rate up, does that count as exercise?

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
My worst day of pheasant hunting ever. I eventually got my 3 birds. But 5 of us put a shit ton of miles on and saw exactly 7 roosters. Got 5 of them. It's gonna take at least few years to recover from this winter and spring.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got up early and hit water and cattails. Done by 8:00 am. Drove around a bit to see how other were doing. Noticed a friend bringing cattle in so helped work cattle until 11:00. Had sausage for dinner and they mentioned they needed more cats. Went home cleaned birds and loaded cats in cage. Went back to deliver free pussy.

Another friend called and said he had a new bottle of Scotch. We just now got done watching Michigan State Spartans beat Michigan Wolverines. More pheasant hunting tomorrow. Retirement is exhausting.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the pheasant capital of ND, 14 of us, and 6 dogs downed 17 birds and 2 coyotes.
Started at the break of dawn, gave up at the start of the bison game. Golden West bar had ice cold Busch lights, and some great pizza. Spending today on home projects. Maybe when some corn gets harvested I will try again

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be more clear, last season it was a 25 minute hunt for 14 of us and zero dogs, on this same area. With an incidental bonus bird.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did not hunt yesterday, nor am I hunting today. Almost everyone I talked to yesterday that did hunt, didn't fair well. I hope and agree with JaunR, that it should get better when the corn comes off.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_6316.jpg
We did alright

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
That pointer on the right. A he is so wound up he is going for the dead birds. B. He is so tired your holding him/her up. I pick a. Guys it looks fun.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the pheasant capital of ND, 14 of us, and 6 dogs downed 17 birds and 2 coyotes.
Started at the break of dawn, gave up at the start of the bison game. =

long drive to Pembina.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
She was plenty pooped after the hunt. In fact, she's still sleeping this morning. But she's always ready to work.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
4 of us were down by bowman helping a buddy fill his goat tag. We saw like no birds driving around. But we must have found a lucky honey hole. We were done with a limit of birds by 9 am both days. This morn I shit u not there was at least 30 roosters in one bush. It was like a battlefield for ten seconds.

ALOT of dead deer from EHD

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yesterday was a little rough only got one shot off and didn't see a lot of birds. Today went to a new area. Walked about half mile and seen about 50 birds. Only had 2 get up in range but it was a nice morning. Dog is currently sleeping on my lap after yesterday and today.

IMG_1708.jpg

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
love the comments about the dogs working so hard that they need a day or two of rest to recuperate. Amazing you don't hear more about dog heart attacks. They are so unforgiving and dedicated to the owners, whether they've been worked into hunting condition or not. Take care of your pals!!

Will be going down to SW ND this week to spray 57 acres of CRP to control the noxious weeds (mostly canadian thistle) we have on the property. Our renter has cut most of it for hay due to the drought. Don't expect to see much in there for birds but ya never know.

Those of you wanting to control weeds on your property, remember that it is a great time in the fall to do so AFTER the first HARD frost. Supposedly it is the first hard frost that makes the plant want to suck in moisture from the leaves of the plant to the roots and then whammo. they be Dead!!

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_5581.jpg
Upland trifecta from today!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_5578.jpg
Cowboy flushed these out of the sage.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bird numbers were better than I expected. Not a ton but enough to keep it interesting; never gets old watching the dog work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75