Pheasant opener 2017

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the daughter out for an hour last night to do a little scouting and she was able to connect on this little one. It might not have been big, but it was her first and she hit it on the fly in the head and neck saving all the meat. It was quite comical to here her complain about the 20ga kicking the crap out of her. She's used to the target loads we use on clays. First thing she did was rub it in to her brother....I'm pretty sure she is hooked. IMG_1526.jpg

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
This was the 2nd one she shot at. She tried to ground pound one off the road and missed. On the way home we met a combine that scared one up in the ditch and landed. I dropped her off to walk the ditch and she was able to spook him up. Glad she missed on the first shot or it would have been hamburger.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for this discussion - I am living this fall vicariously through all of you. Had neck fixed and can't shoot a gun for 6 months. Hoping to get the archery tag filled between Christmas and New Years if the PT continues to show improvement. Keep up the good work folks - I am enjoying reading about it.Ouch!.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the daughter out for an hour last night to do a little scouting and she was able to connect on this little one. It might not have been big, but it was her first and she hit it on the fly in the head and neck saving all the meat. It was quite comical to here her complain about the 20ga kicking the crap out of her. She's used to the target loads we use on clays. First thing she did was rub it in to her brother....I'm pretty sure she is hooked.998779395eedfe922c8c73b9b364e965.jpg

Nice, the little ones are THE BEST eating anyway. If two roosters get up and one is barely turning colors, I'm taking the your one!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well THAT sucks BrewCrew. Prayers for a fast and complete recovery so you can hit the late season.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey Brewcrew, nod if you want to hunt some deer. ;:;rofl ;:;rofl ;:;rofl

I wish you the best in recovering and an archery deer, can you get a permit to use a crossbow? If so I recommend doing it. That's what I used for my elk a few weeks ago otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go.

Hope your surgery turns out as well as mine, I still don't have a leg to stand on though. ;:;rofl ;:;rofl ;:;rofl

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the daughter out for an hour last night to do a little scouting and she was able to connect on this little one. It might not have been big, but it was her first and she hit it on the fly in the head and neck saving all the meat. It was quite comical to here her complain about the 20ga kicking the crap out of her. She's used to the target loads we use on clays. First thing she did was rub it in to her brother....I'm pretty sure she is hooked.998779395eedfe922c8c73b9b364e965.jpg

Fantastic! It's been almost 35yrs since I killed my 1st rooster on the fly and I can still drive right to the spot it happened. I'm hoping daughter 1 isn't too many years away from similar escapades.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Brewcrew, nod if you want to hunt some deer. ;:;rofl ;:;rofl ;:;rofl

I wish you the best in recovering and an archery deer, can you get a permit to use a crossbow? If so I recommend doing it. That's what I used for my elk a few weeks ago otherwise I wouldn't have been able to go.

Hope your surgery turns out as well as mine, I still don't have a leg to stand on though. ;:;rofl ;:;rofl ;:;rofl

2400, glad you can joke about your own miss fortunes. Thumbs Up.........................And thanks for the laugh!;:;rofl ;:;boozer

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went against my own advice and walked a bit Friday for pheasants after getting a limit of ducks in the morning. Between the heat, 40-mph wind gusts and blizzard of cattail fuzz, we should have just gone home.

Good news is the corn is coming down. That should help, along with cold temps.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think, like every dang pheasant opener, the vast majority of birds are in standing crops. It's more apparent this year in places because numbers are down, but I don't think it's nearly as bad as opening day has you all buffaloed. Then again, I'm not sure why I want to convince everyone to stay home now and wait until post-deer-season to pheasant hunt. Might get too crowded for my taste....

I've got a good idea! Let's open the pheasant season on September 7th next year! (sarcasm)

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy of mine and my dog and I went rooster hunting this past Saturday, Oct. 21st with no real game plan in place as far as where we were headed. Left Devils about 6:30am and headed west. Took to the gravel roads south of Minnewaukan and hunted spots we thought might hold birds from north of Maddock, south of Esmond, North of Harvey, Lone Tree area and south of Lone Tree. South of Lone Tree/Mcclusky area it started to rain.Dog and us were pretty wet when we decided to turn around and slow hunt homeward. We returned home about 6pm.
Results of the day: We SAW exactly one Rooster all day( it was a young rooster crossing the hiway near the Lone tree bridge-that we never were able to locate/flush after we stopped). How about hens? Did we at least see any of those? One.
More crops were being taken off so that is good.
Our take on the day- The spots we stopped and walked normally should hold birds, good cover, water nearby, etc. We just did not even SEE birds that a person would normally at least SEE birds..on posted land, edges of standing corn, flowers, roadsides, etc. I will continue to get out with my dog but the expectations of a limit each time out is just not realistic this year.
No shots fired by either of us all day.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I seriously want to know the argument for making a LAW that the pheasant opener can't be opened any later than Oct. 12. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard -- especially during a year like this year.

Duckslayer100, Let's not forget that outfits like the Cannonball Company need to maximize its income by raping the wildlife resources of North Dakota.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69