Frozen bolt

slyfish77

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had good results with PB Blaster, and also a product made by seafoam.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have it soaking with WD 40 since overnight. Will give it a try after the Eagles game. May need something else. thanks for the reply.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used a manual impact driver when I took my washer apart last winter.
2Q==
tekton-impactscrewdriver-use-sm.jpg

Last edited:

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kroil (aerosol can is called Aerokroil) may be the best penetrating oil on the market. the cans are orange in color.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
After replacing spark plugs on a Ford 5.4, a electric impact driver is price less. Give it a try if it doesn't come loose hit it with oil and drink a beer. Repeat untill the bolt comes loose.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem is its a shouldered head bolt and you could fill the tub with all the oils you want and it will not penetrate into the threads. An impact driver of some sort or use a loctite shock freeze or CRC freeze penetrate and it may come lose that way but best bet is going to be an impact driver.
One can use a blunt punch to give it a few solid wraps square on the head to help break the corrosion and this will help break them lose more often than not too.
I like the manual impact driver as it forces the socket down onto the head at impact and is the least likely way of stripping or rounding off the head of the bolt.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
the WD 40 sat in a little area where the bolt sits so it is not filling the tub. The plastic where the bolt sits in acts like a little cup and contains the penetrating oil right around the bolt. Someone on the design team was, for a change, using their head. Bolt broke loose after i put the 1/4 socket set away and got out the big stuff (3/8"). Last thing i didn't want to do is twist the dang bolt off. thanks for all the advice. Forgot all about the impact method shown above. Gotta get me one of them.

thanks for the replies!!

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Butterfly impact would most likely spin it off like a tornado or tap on the top of the bolt a few times with a hammer then tap on ratchet handle while applying some torque.

- - - Updated - - -

Work it both directions until it breaks loose and turns easy.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's regular thread in the video. JB 80 is the best I've used on the farm

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious if all you are replacing is the wash plate? or are you pulling the basket. I pulled mine and learned there is a washer on top that will be stronger than a 2 ton jack.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Initially i did not know if it was reverse threaded or not. After watching the video I assumed regular and went with that.

I was removing the wash plate just to remove a coin (dime) the wife said dropped out of the clothes and slid under the wash plate. I feared the dime would get in the pump or clog a discharge hose possibly. Turns out there is a finer screen type plastic frame under there that would not allow the dime to continue on any farther into the machine.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76