Time for a new TV

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at a good deal on a non smart RCA 55'' with UHD 2160P LED that is just a tad over $ 300, Is there a good reason that I should buy a smart TV ? I have ruko that works just fine with our non smart tv now. Is there anything else to consider ?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a smart TV and a Roku on another. I prefer the Roku. There are more channels available and it's updated occasionally. My smart TV doesn't seem to update and channel selection is limited.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am in the same boat, finally getting high speed fiber optic telly lines installed through westriv in the next month or two. line was run to the house earlier this year so we will finally upgrade our 300# old HD Sony Wega tube tv with a modern one and will be looking into the best option be it roku or a smart tv ect. Have not looked at the new techy stuff for many years as I am not one to replace something if the old one still works but I think its time lol. The tv takes up about as much space as my recliner.

I am an amazon prime member and folks seem to like the tv options through them too, any input here?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing I would say is stay away from Walmart on anything electronic. Hell just stay away from Walmart for anything!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only thing I would say is stay away from Walmart on anything electronic. Hell just stay away from Walmart for anything!

Mmm, I don't know.. Last week I finished the "theater room" and am now shopping for electronics. I have never had any trouble with Sams Club TV's. Just don't expect any help with them. I mean, do your own research. The only help you can expect at the store, is help getting it on the cart.

I have been watching big TV's for a while now. For the past 9 months or so, I've been of the mind that $1000 will get a really nice 65", with most of the bells and whistles. Now that fall is here (and electronics always go down in price) the TVs that I'm in the market for can be found for $800-ish.

However, on the horizon, is the notion that a 70" would surely fit the room, and they're coming down in price too. I believe last year a well-optioned 65" was about the 1300 or 1200 mark, but the weekend after Black Friday, they could be found (briefly) for $900. I expect the same this year, but for a 70".

As far as streaming.. we have no smart TV's now, but have two Roku's and an Apple TV device, and I surely prefer the Apple TV.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right now your top TV brands are Samsung LG and Sony…with Vizio and Panasonic right behind them.
If it was me I would stick with a Samsung or LG, I think Sony is a little over priced for what you get.

I good mid-level 55” TV should run you about $600-$800 anything less than that there is a good reason it’s less than that…now are there some diamonds in the rough out there yes…however if it was my main TV that gets the most viewing I would not take my chances…if it’s a secondary TV, bedroom, kids, garage then roll the dice on a lower priced one…for example picked up a 4K Toshiba for less than $300 over Memorial Day this year … is Toshiba what it used to be, no … did the salesman try and get me in a Samsung, yes … when I told him it was bedroom TV he said oh, yes then that’s the best deal for the money … sold have had no issues with it so far

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mmm, I don't know.. Last week I finished the "theater room" and am now shopping for electronics. I have never had any trouble with Sams Club TV's. Just don't expect any help with them. I mean, do your own research. The only help you can expect at the store, is help getting it on the cart.

I have been watching big TV's for a while now. For the past 9 months or so, I've been of the mind that $1000 will get a really nice 65", with most of the bells and whistles. Now that fall is here (and electronics always go down in price) the TVs that I'm in the market for can be found for $800-ish.

However, on the horizon, is the notion that a 70" would surely fit the room, and they're coming down in price too. I believe last year a well-optioned 65" was about the 1300 or 1200 mark, but the weekend after Black Friday, they could be found (briefly) for $900. I expect the same this year, but for a 70".

As far as streaming.. we have no smart TV's now, but have two Roku's and an Apple TV device, and I surely prefer the Apple TV.

Sam’s Club and Walmart are completely different distributors … the brands at Sam’s Club are still normal brands directly from the manufacturer … while Walmart on the other hand may carry the same brand however in most cases it is specifically manufactured just for Walmart sales often carries slightly different model numbers than exact same one at any other store…so while Walmart carries the same brands they are not necessarily the same product.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey if you dont have Amazon prime yet why not, if you do no one is going to give you a better deal on electronics. Especially since amazon can deliver to your door in 2 days on most items.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Right now your top TV brands are Samsung LG and Sony…with Vizio and Panasonic right behind them.
If it was me I would stick with a Samsung or LG, I think Sony is a little over priced for what you get.

I good mid-level 55” TV should run you about $600-$800 anything less than that there is a good reason it’s less than that…now are there some diamonds in the rough out there yes…however if it was my main TV that gets the most viewing I would not take my chances…if it’s a secondary TV, bedroom, kids, garage then roll the dice on a lower priced one…for example picked up a 4K Toshiba for less than $300 over Memorial Day this year … is Toshiba what it used to be, no … did the salesman try and get me in a Samsung, yes … when I told him it was bedroom TV he said oh, yes then that’s the best deal for the money … sold have had no issues with it so far

What size is the Toshiba? We have a small teener (17" or 19") Toshiba in the kitchen, and it's a great TV.

- - - Updated - - -

Sam’s Club and Walmart are completely different distributors … the brands at Sam’s Club are still normal brands directly from the manufacturer … while Walmart on the other hand may carry the same brand however in most cases it is specifically manufactured just for Walmart sales often carries slightly different model numbers than exact same one at any other store…so while Walmart carries the same brands they are not necessarily the same product.

This is absolutely true.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty sure it was a 49" 4K with built in chromecast ... I wanna say it was like $289 at the time...salesmen said it was hands down best bang for the buck in the store that day...I have a 55" samsung older 1080p HD in the living room and the 4k picture is pretty dang good you can tell the samsung picture quality is better but the toshiba 4k might actually be a better picture .. if that makes any sense...

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black Friday or Cyber Monday you will see some really good deals on TVs. We are about a month away so hold off for a bit if possible

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black Friday or Cyber Monday you will see some really good deals on TVs. We are about a month away so hold off for a bit if possible

Agreed… do the research now and know what you want…it will go on sale around the holidays…don’t be suckered in or swayed by cheaper deals … there is a lot of junk sold out there too …

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy at Target the other night, told me to wait until black Friday, or the sunday after black Friday. Said that they'll be on sale, and they'll have an additional 5 or 10% off the sale price, and using the Red Card gets another 5%, and he told me that the Target Cartwheel app thing probably will have another 5% off electronics. So, potentially 20% in addition to black Friday pricing.

I'ma wait a bit yet, before buying.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy at Target the other night, told me to wait until black Friday, or the sunday after black Friday. Said that they'll be on sale, and they'll have an additional 5 or 10% off the sale price, and using the Red Card gets another 5%, and he told me that the Target Cartwheel app thing probably will have another 5% off electronics. So, potentially 20% in addition to black Friday pricing.

that would mean PTSD from shopping during “the madness” - I’ll gladly pay 5% more to avoid that

super seriously

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ran an insignia as a computer monitor/tv for almost 11 years. It served it's time well. When it came time to start filling the house with tv's, insignia got the nod again. They've performed well and picture is fine. Truth be told, I don't watch much tv any more. If it's on, it's background noise.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

Yeah and if the moon is full, you get another 3.5% and if it is between 2 and 3am, another 4% off and if your name is Slim, another 2% and then you can use the promo code: TrumpSucks, you get another 6% off. Heck, they might owe you eventually.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77