Ice fishing boots

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
those damn buckles were brutal, flopped open when they caught on things - until they froze shut

then getting em off with ice chunks globbed all ober sucked / ha ha

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tennis shoes under buckle up rubber boots here.

a59c0ba547153078bc2bcfac77102d6f.jpg

If you grew up wearing these wonders of technology then every boot made today is warm.

- - - Updated - - -

The key is never ever ever stop moving.

I still know guys that use these.

TFX 186

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My feet freeze no matter what. I use the toe warmers but I think the new boot warmers from Thermacell would be great. Just drop about $100 and wear whatever you want.

Fish On!

livininavandownbytheriver

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just got the Baffin Titans and I have very high hopes for them. I have heard phenomenal things about them and they are unbelievably comfortable. Gonna throw some poly sock liners and redhead merino wool socks and should be toasty.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sports store in det lakes had the 100 below Sorel 79bucks. Nothing. Beat that price wise

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorels pretty clumsy but fairly lightweight for there size and if you get cold feet in them u have some issues probably time for a Dr. Visit I can sit all day in the most brutal day in ND and everything but my feet would be cold when wearing them.

HUNT2EAT

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will let the best kept secret out of the bag. Best ice fishing boots ever. I just wear my 800 gram Danners and slid these over when I get to the lake. When I am done I just slip them off. No hassles with having to change shoes in the cold to head to the local tavern for milk and cookies. There studded so running after tip-ups there are no worries about slipping or no awkward stances trying to get traction when drilling holes. There big enough on the top side to tuck your coveralls into so you don't have to worry about doing the splits so your pants don't get wet when pulling the auger and slush out of the hole. The only bad part is if you plan on fishing in someone's house that has carpet, the studs will destroy it and or a plastic floor of those suitcase style houses. But they are so easy to slip on and off that it's no big deal to do so if you find yourself in that situation. Did I mention they are fleece lined, adding another layer of warmth.
http://chetsshoes.com/snowgear-studded-fleecelined-zipper-traction-overshoe-17
http://chetsshoes.com/snowgear-studded-fleecelined-overshoe-traction-overshoe-49

Last edited:

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the replies going to go shopping next week sometime. Outage starts tomorrow so if anyone wants to do some scouting up in 2j1 for me I would appreciate it :)

Onidil

I don't do a lot of ice fishing but if I did I would assume there would be a chance of getting my feet wet.

Wet feet in sub-zero temps will kill you.

I don't like Bunny Boots https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-fishing-boots/ for moving as my feet sweat too much but there is a place for them.

I was running my trap line on the Nenana river north of Healy on my 175 Honda when I went through the ice. I was wearing bunny books and a Snow Machine suit. My feet and lower legs got wet. Buy the time I worked the bike out of the hole, the lower portion of my SM Suit was froze and made an ice barrier. My boots filled with water but being bunny boots the water had warmed up.

After a bit, I got the bike running and fished the trap line with warm wet feet.

Had I not been wearing Bunny boots I would have had to leave the bike, get up on the bank of the river and built a fire to dry out.

Last edited:

cooper

make sure you got wiggle room, too tight and the boots are pretty much junk. i bought a pair itascas from runnings or somewhere not too long ago, feet are warmer than they were in muk boots and only about 70 or 80 bucks

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a pair of the Korkers Polar Vortex 1200 at Scheels Ice Fest ($240 reg but rung up as $100). Haven't been on the ice with them yet but wore them sitting in my popup blind for rifle and cant complain. I normally wear 10.5-11 and their 11 seemed true but was a little tight on the sides, I'm sure they would loosen up. I actually opted to jump to a 12 and am happy with them, they don't feel clunky and can drive with them on, I can put just a little heavier sock on and now I think I can actually add a little more insulating insole on them to help combat the cold from coming up even better.
shopping

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
A pretty darned good boot for the price is the Baffin Trapper. They can be had for ~$70. These Baffins actually run on the BIG side. I just ordered my normal size and wear the big Heat Holder socks in them. Lots of room to jam a toe/handwarmer in the toe area as well. I've been pleased for the price. They are not as warm as my Baffin Apex, but they are A LOT nicer to wear due to way less clumsiness and bulk. I can actually drive with these on my feet.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Warm feet come from good, insul, waterproof boots that leave a little room for circulation and movement--and good quality WOOL sox.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up a pair of the Korkers Polar Vortex 1200 at Scheels Ice Fest ($240 reg but rung up as $100). Haven't been on the ice with them yet but wore them sitting in my popup blind for rifle and cant complain. I normally wear 10.5-11 and their 11 seemed true but was a little tight on the sides, I'm sure they would loosen up. I actually opted to jump to a 12 and am happy with them, they don't feel clunky and can drive with them on, I can put just a little heavier sock on and now I think I can actually add a little more insulating insole on them to help combat the cold from coming up even better.
shopping

I was talked into these at the same sale. I have had them out three times so far and have been very happy. I like my mucks but after a day on the ice my feet hurt with these I don't get the sore feet.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'm listening....

They go over your boot.
Slip them on when I get there.
Slip them off when I’m done for the day.
Built in studs.
They make a buckle version too, but the zipper style seems to last.
Super warm. My feet get cold easy, and I’m always confy in these.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had sorels for a long time and when they wore out I bought baffins (moonboots). I recommend using a bread bag to waterproof the baffins haha. Seriously my feet were always wet with them. Then I bought arctic pros and feet froze terrible but they are great for early river fishing. I finally bit the bullet and bought schnees pac boots. Hope they work as they were spendy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80