Ice fishing boots

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at spending some cash on a pair that wont freeze up my toes while sitting on the ice. Water proof and functional(able to move around in them) that will hold in the heat. I had a pair of some 800gram thinsulate rubber boots that were from runnings but they have been retired. They worked pretty well up to about till the 5th or 6th hour of ice fishing and then the toes started getting cold. Anyways seen some baffins that look like they may just be a little overkill but the way people talk about them is that they work. Anyone have a pair that have issues with them? Are they pretty bulky?

Anyways let me know what you have and what work for you. I am usually in my otter flip over with my feet on the ice.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still planning on running my ice armor rubber boots 1200gr (4yr I think) but they may need to become spares. Hard to go wrong with a Baffin boot though. The new striker boots have me interested as well and I know a few people that have like the Muck Artic boots.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a chunk or two of blue Styrofoam to put under feet when inactive will help a lot.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whatever you do, get a boot with plenty of room for circulation, I usually go a size up for ice fishing boots. Also like others have said, have your feet on a mat or something to get them off the ice. I have about a 10 year old pair of Lacrosse Alpha Iceman that i have never been cold in, even at Winnipeg. I don't think they are made the same anymore though unfortunately.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My best and favorite foot protection is plywood, has lights, and comes with a propane heater. If that doesn't work, I depend on my sorels and an extra pair of wool socks.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have baffins that I like, had a pair that were not rubber all the way to the top and went to the DL fireman's tournament when the water was ontop of the ice and my feet were soaked but still warm in them (had to keep moving) I then invested in a pair of baffins that were more like rubber muck boots and imo are hard to beat... I too did look at the strikers but my baffins are too new to get those just yet

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the Muck arctic pros last year and like them.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Muck Artic Pros. I battle cold feet and they work very well. Two trips to Winnipeg in January and they are way better then anything else I have tried!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recommened Acrtic Pros to a friend who went to Winnipeg and suffered horribly due to cold feet. He’s still pissed I think.

I did so after hearing so many glowing reports here. Ha ha. Oops. I have never worn them.

I’m guessing he bought them too small.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mickey Mouse boots made by Bata for the military our by far the best boots out there for cold weather.

The black ones our for temp above zero.

The white ones are for really cold temps.

I have never gotten cold feet in them. They our that good, but our hard to come by at times.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I finally went with Baffin Titans a couple years ago. -24 degrees and my feet were fine. You need to have something to put your feet on though. I just have a small rubber mat that works well. I do have a pair of muck arctic pros that I like for early and late season ice fishing.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i like my bunny boots. but, they are big, heavy, bulky and they don't go very high up. so, they not a wise choice in deep water/slush. i think i got them one size too big as well. but, your feet stay warm in them. no doubt about that even if they happen to get wet.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my Muck Artic Pros - Do not by too small in any boot that will be used for ice fishing. I now wear a thinner wool sock in my Mucks rather than a heavy one and the difference is noticeable.

Founding Member
Founding Member

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had these Cabelas Predator Extreme pac boots for at least 6 years now: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Predator-Extreme-Pac-Boots-Brown/722130.uts?slotId=0

I think I paid $130 as they were on sale at the time. They have held up well and have always kept me warm (even with feet directly on the ice while sitting in my shelter sled). I also like the removable liner. I remove them at the end of the day to let everything air out. They are pretty big so driving with them on can be a challenge. As others have mentioned, I got one size larger then I normally wear and with a heavy sock they fit perfect. I can't stand tight boots and these are very comfortable.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been wearing Steger Muk Luks for years now. They are very warm and "breathe" better than rubber boots if you have to move around. Lightweight and waterproof if you keep up on the leather and canvas waterproofing. I wear them all winter. Only time I will swap out for rubber boots is if there is standing water on the ice.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tennis shoes under buckle up rubber boots here.

a59c0ba547153078bc2bcfac77102d6f.jpg

If you grew up wearing these wonders of technology then every boot made today is warm.

- - - Updated - - -

The key is never ever ever stop moving.

Last edited:

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can't image anything would be better than white bunny boots. Don't know if I've ever gotten cold feet in them and I get cold feet easy. If you live around Bismarck, the State Surplus has some for sale for $20. They normally don't have bunny boots for sale but they have a shopping cart of size 8 and 12.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I still remember the 4 buckle overshoe with 2 pairs of socks and bread sacks, feet ever got cold

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74