Small CPAP for traveling?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody use one of the smaller/mini CPAP machines when they are on the go? I am sick of packing the big unit up every time I go somewhere. Just curious if they work well. I am 6' and went from 246lbs to down to under 210lbs but the snoring and crap still persists. It's annoying and am looking to make it less annoying.

Last edited:

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a Transcend Mini CPAP machine a couple of years ago for use when camping or fly-in fishing trips. It is very small and works well but is noisy compared to my regular one. Takes getting used to. The new auto ones are supposed to be quieter. Bought it with a battery pack that easily lasts a couple of days, but also with a solar charger for fly-in fishing trips and a 12 volt charger for use in our camper. Got it through CPAP.com. Best prices I found and GREAT customer service. You will need a prescription to buy from them.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does a person still have to wear that big clumsy mask or do they have some thing smaller

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smaller masks with nasal "pillows" are quite comfy, and c-pap/bi-pap rigs really help with good sleep/partner compatibility.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody use one of the smaller/mini CPAP machines when they are on the go? I am sick of packing the big unit up every time I go somewhere. Just curious if they work well. I went from 6' 246lbs to down to under 210lbs but the snoring and crap still persists. It's annoying and am looking to make it less annoying.

Why did it help you lose weight? I snore so loud I wake the dead but I’ve never tried a machine yet.

defiant1

Honored Member
Have any of you had your health insurance cover a second CPAP machine (smaller/travel use version)?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have any of you had your health insurance cover a second CPAP machine (smaller/travel use version)?

I am going to ask, but I have many doubts.

- - - Updated - - -

I do this too but never on purpose.... If I sleep without my cpap machine I wake up feeling like absolute crap

I hear ya.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member

Some group polices will individual and Medicare will not. If it's been long enough since the main machine was purchased you may be able to get it covered but then they will no longer support the old machine.(repairs masks ect.)

defiant1

Honored Member
Some group polices will individual and Medicare will not. If it's been long enough since the main machine was purchased you may be able to get it covered but then they will no longer support the old machine.(repairs masks ect.)

I will have to inquire. I have had my current CPAP for over 3 years. But I do a fair amount of traveling and it would nice not to have to bring the full size CPAP every time.

d1

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

Just ordered the Resmed air-mini cpap. It was not covered by insurance. My current provider wanted $1,200-1,300 for the machine. I ordered it from cpap.com for $850 with free tubing and mask included. All I had to do was give Dr. info at checkout. We will see how it works.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update:

Just ordered the Resmed air-mini cpap. It was not covered by insurance. My current provider wanted $1,200-1,300 for the machine. I ordered it from cpap.com for $850 with free tubing and mask included. All I had to do was give Dr. info at checkout. We will see how it works.

Wow, that's spendy! I got my CPAP through the VA. It has a built-in modem so the data goes directly to my doc and they can make adjustments to the settings remotely (Philips brand CPAP). I also only use the nose piece and do not require moisture reservoir, so can remove the water reservoir and the machine is 1/2 the size. Now, it's not much larger than the travel models (4" x 4" x 3").

I agree with you both, the morning after sucks royal shit if I don't use it. There is a BIG difference in how the rest occurs, even though I cannot stand the mask and wake up more often because air is escaping somewhere.;:;banghead

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why does a person need a prescription to get a cpap?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Update:

My wife works for a oxygen supply company and she told me exactly what you just did , so you should be good to go.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dude, no worries. Could have saved you some cash! ha ha ha

Don't leave home without them for me or vice versa..

ear plugs.jpg
Was gonna go in for the sleep study deal until they told me it was gonna cost 1,200 out of pocket. I was like, I can tell you right now I've got it just give me the damn machine..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74