Small CPAP for traveling?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dude, no worries. Could have saved you some cash! ha ha ha

Don't leave home without them for me or vice versa..

booger.jpg
Was gonna go in for the sleep study deal until they told me it was gonna cost 1,200 out of pocket. I was like, I can tell you right now I've got it just give me the damn machine..

Google “sleep apnea and heart disease/stroke”. Things start looking cheaper.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does a person need a prescription to get a cpap?

It’s a money making racket.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I figured that Captain, got a friend that uses one, will get him to order me one

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
To the guys that do use a CPAP, how often do you actually clean the hoses, tank, mask, etc.??? I know they want you to clean them daily, but sometimes I forget. Anybody use the SoClean? Also, how often do you actually replace said parts? Again, they want you to replace certain parts at certain times, but I feel that is a scam to get you to spend more money.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figured that Captain, got a friend that uses one, will get him to order me one

I'm sure there are MD's cringing at this.

The main reason for a sleep study is to see which type and how bad. They can then tailor your therapy to what you truly need. If you aren't set up to treat your specific type of issue, it may be moot point. The sleep study will determine that and may add years to your life. That said if you snore badly and get a machine to fix it, it's probably not going to hurt you.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
UPDATE: The little machine works very well. I have used it about 20 nights now and it packs super easy and gives a great night’s sleep. The only slight negative is it has a little more air noise than the big mask system. The in-line humidifier actually provides more moisture than my water pan setup. Impressed so far. I just leave it in my go duffel bag. Nice not have to pack up and unpack the big unit. Two thumbs up so far.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I think I might have to go do one of these sleep studies. Been sleeping like crap lately, tossing, turning, waking up constantly. Even when it seems like I get a good 6-8 hours of sleep I'm still tired. Thing is I never sleep well the first night at a new location, will I need to go more then once or what did you guys experience during this process?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had the CPAP for three years or more now and even though my sleep apnea is quite mild (barely qualified) I feel the hassle is worth it. Before I got the machine I would wake up every night to piss. The machine completely solved that and I also fall asleep faster. I have also noticed I haven't had any sinus issues since I got it. That forced air opens you right up and if feels great. The wife loves it since I dont snore anymore!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I think I might have to go do one of these sleep studies. Been sleeping like crap lately, tossing, turning, waking up constantly. Even when it seems like I get a good 6-8 hours of sleep I'm still tired. Thing is I never sleep well the first night at a new location, will I need to go more then once or what did you guys experience during this process?

You will do a consult and then be referred to a sleep study. You only do the sleep study once in my experience. That determines “if”, “what kind”, and “how bad”. I barely qualified as well, but I snored heavily. I’d get “shocked” awake when I tried to sleep on my back and wake myself up just due to noise. My wife also had some night time karate for me here and there. The mask can be annoying sometimes, but all is much better in the house now days.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I needed a travel CPAP also until the representative at the VA told me my machine can split in 1/2 if I do not require the water reservoir. I don't. So, I popped a couple of hinges and the damn thing actually breaks down into two separate pieces. I can now pack this Phillips Electronics "Dream Machine" is not a 4"x4"x4" cube and I can easily pack it in any of my carry-on luggage.

I'm sure thankful I do not require the moisture unit. That is the part that requires constant cleaning. I only have the nose piece, so my mask is smaller as well.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I needed a travel CPAP also until the representative at the VA told me my machine can split in 1/2 if I do not require the water reservoir. I don't. So, I popped a couple of hinges and the damn thing actually breaks down into two separate pieces. I can now pack this Phillips Electronics "Dream Machine" is not a 4"x4"x4" cube and I can easily pack it in any of my carry-on luggage.

I'm sure thankful I do not require the moisture unit. That is the part that requires constant cleaning. I only have the nose piece, so my mask is smaller as well.

Just curious why you dont need the moisture? If mine runs out in the middle of the night I feel dry and shitty in the morning. Not the case with you?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same question as Jigaman? I can’t go without humidity. Do you sleep in a greenhouse?

Upnorth

See if you can do a home study. You hook yourself up at home, take the machine back and they download the data the next day. I knew I had an issue, but they called me before I even got home from dropping it off for an emergency consult. I logged 3300 snores in an 8.5 hour period. The longest I stopped breathing was 40 seconds. It’s eye opening. If you think you need it, you probably do.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75