• Air Force

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Guard/Reserves

Votes: 30 30.0%

• Total voters

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
13bravo and 13mike did 6 years signed up for gi beni's. got f&%ed by the and told to get the wrong kinda school loans for out nco and then got a doosh bag lt that made me and the three other guys i went in with get out. Basic training and ait was a blast it was hard but fun as hell

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joined the Army National Guard two months after I turned 17 and haven't looked back since. Three deployments, and i'd imagine i'll hit four at some point, but we sign the dotted line for a reason. Coming up on 16 years, work full-time for the NG, and I hope to call it quits in 8 years with a full active retirement.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Navy 3 AD-3 AR post Vietnam. It was my Dickensian period (It was the best of times and it was the worst of times) Saw lots of drug use. Saw some "Patriots" that I wouldn't trust to take out the trash let alone make decisions in the heat of combat. Did come up with a good analogy about the military/government. I call it the 85/15 rule. 15% of the people do 85% of the work, the other 85% do 15%. I think automation/AI will transform the military as it has the private sector as funding gets tighter. AF is already facing a pilot shortage so being able to put a fighter- taker-bomber on auto pilot to get to the battle field and only using a combat pilot for the actual combat portion of the mission will be the next wave. I thank those that have served, you are part of the one percent.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i was approaching HS graduation I was getting all kinds of calls from recruiters from every branch. Kind of got annoying. But, I started debating if that was the route i should take. My older brother was in the AF so I started wondering where I would fit in. I couldn't decide between that and college. I was receiving scholarship offers to play basketball. So I was waffling a bit. Then one recruiter called from the Navy. He started asking me about different things and one was my health. I was a young thoroughbred at that time but I told him I did have asthma. Not very seriously though and it rarely bothered me. Just more seasonally. That was the last call I got from any branch of service. Hence my college degree. My bro served 25 yrs in AF and made his way up ladder and did very very well. He is now retired and still working for AF with Lockheed Martin. The stories, experiences, locations etc that he's told me has always made me dream a bit. I appreciate all of you who have served!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i was approaching HS graduation I was getting all kinds of calls from recruiters from every branch. Kind of got annoying. But, I started debating if that was the route i should take. My older brother was in the AF so I started wondering where I would fit in. I couldn't decide between that and college. I was receiving scholarship offers to play basketball. So I was waffling a bit. Then one recruiter called from the Navy. He started asking me about different things and one was my health. I was a young thoroughbred at that time but I told him I did have asthma. Not very seriously though and it rarely bothered me. Just more seasonally. That was the last call I got from any branch of service. Hence my college degree. My bro served 25 yrs in AF and made his way up ladder and did very very well. He is now retired and still working for AF with Lockheed Martin. The stories, experiences, locations etc that he's told me has always made me dream a bit. I appreciate all of you who have served!

My recruiter told me to just lie and and say i didnt have it mine was the same as yours. He retired the day after me and my three friends i went in with got through MEPS. ol kernel sanders looking doctor checking out your b-hole was cool.....

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
AMEAN USN VFA-94 Home of the Mighty Shrikes (F/A-18C Hornet). Seat mech but never got to work on many seats. Changed a lot of hydraulic fluid, emptied drip pans, pumped JP-8, washed planes, performed enough FOD walks to last a life time, and spent enough time on the 0-0800 watch. All ended a little too soon with a re-injury of my knee.

Brother has been in the guards for nearly 15 years with one tour (of 17 months) under him. He was attached to 957 bridge building crew out of Bismarck but moved to Minnesota where he's bounced around a bit. He performed security at his base in Rhamadi, Iraq.

Dad was a Green Beret in the 10th Special Forces Group. He was a radio operator during his time in. I don't know if he seen any time in Vietnam but he was in London during that time.

I think if my son were to want to join, he needs to either go big or go to college. I completely regret not at least trying to get to BUD/S.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before starting a poll maybe learn how to post a poll. A poll should have one question followed by several choices, not just a bunch of questions. ;)

Now to answer your questions:
No
Yes

Thank you to all who are serving or have served this great nation!

Jiggernaut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started with the Army Reserves in '82, switched to AF in '86 and retired in '07. I have been civil service, working for the AF since I retired from active duty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Before starting a poll maybe learn how to post a poll. A poll should have one question followed by several choices, not just a bunch of questions. ;)

Now to answer your questions:
No
Yes

Thank you to all who are serving or have served this great nation!

Thanks for the pointers on polls. If you can word it better feel free to post one and I'll delete this one.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started out as a part-time NG back in 1983 and was asked to apply for a full-time job in the armory, so I did. Hired as active duty in 1984 and served almost 23 years on active duty before retiring in 2006. can't go back in, unless I'd lose my retirement pension. I'd say I miss the people, but rarely ever miss the uniform. Many many events and family occasions that were missed because of work. Hear that from so many, also. From what I understand it's getting much like the boy scouts from when I entered. Makes me worry a bit...

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm currently Active Duty Air Force. I committed when I was a senior in high school as I knew at that point I really didn't want to go to college and I wanted to explore the world. I left for basic training right after I graduated and celebrated my 18th birthday a week before I graduated basic training. I've now been active duty for 16 1/2 years and I'm excited and scared at the same time to be able to retire in 3 1/2 years. This is the only thing I've ever known and it's scary to think i'll have to wake up and decide what to wear as the uniform has went on every morning since high school.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried to get on but a year or so prior to the "Underwear Olympics" I shot a vented barrel 44 mag that made my hearing just bad enough they wouldn't sign me. I was really bummed but it wasn't supposed to be I guess.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
man how are some of you guys retiring that aren't officers at 20 years or are you just retiring from service and working elsewhere, hard to live on half of E-8 wages.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
man how are some of you guys retiring that aren't officers at 20 years or are you just retiring from service and working elsewhere, hard to live on half of E-8 wages.

I don't think any of us are actually retiring and not working anymore. I can't speak for everyone else but I can speak for myself in that I'm an E-7 and plan to retire as an E-7. When I retire I will start a new job and although I don't know what that's going to be I do know I need to work as retirement pay doesn't cover our expenses.

BKE0946

3 years Army. 95B Military Police Got to travel and meet lots of friends. Military career was not for me. I served from 83-86 all peace time. To much BS in peace time Army.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just curious if anyone else besides me watched mini series of The Long Road Home on NGTV that past month? It is about the 1st Calvary and the battle known as "Black Sunday" in Sadr City, Iraq. This is the battle that caused Cindy Sheehan, to become an anti-war activist because her son was killed in that rescue mission. As a former military person, it was easy to follow and understand some of the decisions or tactics. Proud of my Godson who was actually in one of the six "Crusaders" tanks that helped complete the rescue.

Teach our youth to respect our flag and give thanks to those who have, are serving and those who gave their life protecting our freedoms!!!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I started my retirement career this year, 8 years in advance to build the business and hopefully stabilize the two incomes to what i make now(ish). I love serving my country, but i can echo what others say about missing alot of time with family. It's only getting worse.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76