• Coast Guard

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Air Force

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Guard/Reserves

Votes: 30 30.0%

• Total voters

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been wondering off and on for a while now about you guys on here. So here's a question and a poll if you don't want to answer in here.

Would you or did you serve, if so which branch and would you do it again?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never served or entered the military but knowing what I do now and what life's curve balls thrown at me I would have tried for the Coast guard.

Rick Tischaefer

Yes, Army lifer. I didn't want to go when I retired, but it was time. I would do it again in a heart beat. I don't know of too many places where a person can get those types of experiences and have those types of friends. Rick

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard about the marksmanship training and all the free ammo you get to shoot in the Army so I signed on in High school but didn't pass the hearing test. I was pretty bummed at the time but I got a job in the oilfield instead and learned just as many new words but never got to shoot any of that free ammo. I feel like I missed out on a lot.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I didn't 2400. While much of the nation was disrespecting our returning soldiers from Vietnam I was one who respected them. Of course in North Dakota most people including the college students respected our vets. Many of my friends were vets and they were torn when asked if a person should go. Most wanted to serve their country, but many of them complained about the politicians micromanaging the war and endangering them with foolish regulations.
I always thought one should serve their fellow man in some capacity. I worked with Boy Scouts for about 20 years and have been a reserve deputy for 31 years. Years ago when night vision was a new thing I was able to use expensive gov equipment like that for night search and rescue. Some of our reserves do things like qualify for under ice diving to look for bodies etc. At my age I passed on that. God Bless all of our vets that have fought for our freedom overseas, and our law enforcement officers (first responders and fire fighters too) who serve here at home.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Started out as an M60 machine gunner with the 504th Parachute Infantry Regiment in the early 70's. CO discovered I could read and write so ended up as Battalion Operations NCO. 82nd Airborne. Priceless experience. Scares me just thinking about it now. I would do it again but would think hard about the Coast Guard.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Retired Air Force...20 plus years...work Air Force civil service 11 plus years now...10 more to go till my second retirement. Enlisted with the AF intending to do 4 years and net the GI Bill benefits and go to law school. That was 31 years ago...guess I'm Air Force for life! Wouldn't change a thing...thankful to God and country for the life I've been blessed with.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never served. Part of me still really regrets that. I feel I’ve made up for it in other ways.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never served. Much thanks to those that have/are. I have always wondered how those who serve balance serving and family. Anyone care to speak to that?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Air Force 83-05. Best thing I ever did. Didn't have a clue what I wanted to do so I signed up thinking I would do 4 years. I needed discipline big time. Made me a better man. For me, it was the only way to go to college. I have a good job now in the civilian world because of the Military.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
13 Bravo, US Army right after Nam. Went in thinking i'd stay 20 and retire but too much of a drug problem that i didn't care for. I'd do it again in the same situation. Was after the GI Bill mostly. 7 out of my class of 32 went into the service after high school.

GI Bill got me a BSGE degree from UND. Didn't use it much as i Graduated a year after the boom.

Thanks to all those that have served.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joined National Guard as junior in HS and did split option training, basic training after Jr year HS and Army AIT after senior year. Did 20 years of M-Day National Guard, that is the one weekend a month and 2 weeks a summer, then after the 20 M-Day went AGR, that is Active Guard Reserve, that is like regular army but assigned to ND army national Guard full time for 9 1/2 years so had 29 years and 10 months of service and credit for 13 1/2 years active. Had a major blood clot in the kidney in 2011 and was medically retired in 2014. Served in Desert Strom as a MP and volunteered for overseas duty 3 times in the latest conflicts and was left in state and told no because of the amount of training needed for my position as AGR, over 1400 hrs training for my position. Would 100%ly do it again. Great experience that has helped make me who I am now. And just want to say a THANK YOU to all that served especially those Vietnam and Korea Era Vets, is wasn't there when you came back but say a big thank you now, and also to those that supported us as we did. dukgnfsn

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never served. Much thanks to those that have/are. I have always wondered how those who serve balance serving and family. Anyone care to speak to that?

The amount of infidelity I saw during my four in the Corps was actually a factor in my deciding to get out. Other than that, I really enjoyed it as a single young man.

So I got out, got married, and still ended up divorced. Maybe I should have just stayed in?

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried to sign up when I was a Senior in high school. But a car accident my sophomore year which ended with screws and a plate in my neck, none of the branches would take me. 20 years later I still wish I could have served.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started at 19 in the ND Air National Guard from 90-02, went AD Navy 02-10, AF Reserve 10-17. I joined to blow things up, get away from a girl, and do a bit of travel. Signed for 6 and stayed for 20 more. Played both enlisted and officer sides of the fence and I would absolutely do it again. It was a good fit for me. I learned about God, life, love, hate, joy, sorrow, costs vs. benefits, friendship, betrayal, loss, leadership, followership, success, failure, goals, discipline, truth, lies, politics, pleasure, and pain. I learned what I wanted and what I didn't want. Saw the world. Saw both the beautiful and the ugly sides of many things. Learned much about myself and other people, what's important, and what's NOT. Military service even taught me why people should avoid military service. I try to steer as many young people AWAY from military service as possible. IMO, there are better ways to gain the knowledge and experience I gained through the military that don't involve the numerous negative aspects of being in the military. If they insist on serving, then I try my best to make sure they serve in a manner that most benefits them, instead of serving like the recruiters and others tell them to serve. That's what military service did for me.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well put KDM. I've been in the Army guard for about a decade now and agree with just about everything you said. I joined at about 23 years old, so I had some real world experience that put me light years ahead of the fresh faced 18 year olds. I joined the engineers, wanted to shoot and blow things up. You see the beautiful and ugly parts of the world, and are able to see the beauty in the ugly parts of the world. Politics, and people in leadership positions who I wouldn't trust to tie their own boots are what make a lot of the good guys get out.

You said "I try my best to make sure they serve in a manner that most benefits them, instead of serving like the recruiters and others tell them to serve". I can't agree enough. So many waste everybody's and their own time by signing up and just taking up space. You get tuition assistance, cheap health care, opportunities to get certifications like EMT or CDL, VA home loans, the list is endless. However, you see guys who take advantage of NONE of it because they are too lazy, and end up out on the street with a crap job. The military can send you to a 3 week school and pay YOU to learn to be a beekeeper for crying out loud.

That said, for every bad day I've had, I've had more than one good one. I'd do it again.

Oh well, rant over haha.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I try to steer as many young people AWAY from military service as possible. IMO, there are better ways to gain the knowledge and experience I gained through the military that don't involve the numerous negative aspects of being in the military. If they insist on serving, then I try my best to make sure they serve in a manner that most benefits them, instead of serving like the recruiters and others tell them to serve. That's what military service did for me.

My brother in-law was a career Navy man on subs, officer in charge of the submarine nuclear power generation for most of it, he too will not encourage any young-uns to join the military from his experiences. Being he was on a sub he is sworn to a life of secrecy on top of it do to the missions he was on. He graduated from BJC with a power plant degree in the early 80's and no jobs so he joined up to help pay his way. He has a great career as a result of both experiences and knowledge after retiring from the military.
He can not talk of much but recommends "Blind Mans Bluff" as a good book to read for a good idea of what he experienced and leaves it at that.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
V so my topic got changed to political why hasn't this one what gives.
To clarify my question this has nothing to do with 2400 I just wonder why some can and some don't.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77