Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Air Force

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • Guard/Reserves

Votes: 30 30.0%

• Total voters

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
drafted in 69, spent 22 months with 10 in Vietnam.

Have no idea then or now why the killing on both sides that I took part in. Just a waste and a bad deal. Maybe in the after life I can ask those who put us there why. Glad to get out and no thoughts of staying in.

However, the service was and has been good to me. The memories are the good ones with the bad ones just the way it was.
I guess overall the experience was something that help shape me, I accept it all and whatever.

the long hair freaks were right but I was also right to volunteer for the draft and a war zone. It was just the wrong conflict. db

Last edited:

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm currently Active Duty Air Force. I committed when I was a senior in high school as I knew at that point I really didn't want to go to college and I wanted to explore the world. I left for basic training right after I graduated and celebrated my 18th birthday a week before I graduated basic training. I've now been active duty for 16 1/2 years and I'm excited and scared at the same time to be able to retire in 3 1/2 years. This is the only thing I've ever known and it's scary to think i'll have to wake up and decide what to wear as the uniform has went on every morning since high school.

Skeeter...have you considered continuing serving your country as a civilian after you retire? Worked out well for me, easy transition, nice not having to shave every day! Just a thought...

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
.. Aim high is the motto.;) you'll find something you like doing. Whats your training? Other option, you could gut out another 10+

- - - Updated - - -

man how are some of you guys retiring that aren't officers at 20 years or are you just retiring from service and working elsewhere, hard to live on half of E-8 wages.

Yeah, can't live off that. 90% are planning on at least another 20 years working somewhere else.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skeeter...have you considered continuing serving your country as a civilian after you retire? Worked out well for me, easy transition, nice not having to shave every day! Just a thought...

The thought has crossed my mind and to be honest the no shaving part of retirement really has me excited. I don't think people understand what it's like to have to shave everyday....it's not like you can just wake up and decide I don't want to shave today....it just doesn't work like that. Can I ask what you did/do as a civilian on base?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Spent my first 8 years working aircraft avionics, then crossed trained into finance and accounting...did that for my last 12 years. In my civil service life, worked the first 4 years in finance then jumped over to the contracting office these last 7 years. Figure I'll work another 10 years till I hit 62...would then have 20 years active and 22 civil service! That will probably be enough for me!

BicklesMyPickles

Currently serving in the Air Force. I'll be in Minot for the next 4 years for sure not sure if they will move me after that but I plan on doing my 20 and would do so again

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In 1968 I was 17 and volunteered for the USMC on a 2 year hitch. I wanted off the farm, wasn't mature enough for college and wanted the GI bill for later. I lived with some of the best men in the world and some of the worst SOBs too. If the officers and NCOs were decent there was a feeling of unity and pride hard to describe. Bad officers and drunk NCOs could make it feel like prison. The Marines would give a kid the responsibility he could handle. Once 3 of us 18 YOs were running airstrikes and contact fire missions in 3 foreign countries at the same time. As a kid I believed in the Vietnam war, looking back now it was a waste of lives, time and treasure. I am grateful for the lessons the USMC taught me, it is a whole different thought process.

1SGBALTZELL

I served in the Army National Guard, 12B for 32 years. I would do it again, probably one of the best things I have done in my life.

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talking back and forth with a Marine recruiter when I was a Junior/Senior in HS. I graduated HS in '82 and they weren't recruiting much at all. I waited and waited for a call back, but enrolled in college to cover my bases. He called back a couple of days after I was in college, so I took it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be. Always think of how different things might of been. I have always had a great admiration and thank God for those who serve.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
US Army, didn't have the money for college and wanted some adventure after high school. Grew up fast, saw a lot of the world and met some good friends. The politics and the toxic senior nco's and officers made me hate putting the uniform on each day, and after a while missing holidays and spending time with family gets tough. I'm an Afganistan veteran and proud to have served my country, but knowing what I know now I can't say I'd be too eager to do it again.

Last edited:

Frosty....

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just hit my 18 year point in the Air Force last week...kind of hard to believe really. Not sure how much longer I will stay as I still enjoy it for the most part.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
US Army, didn't have the money for college and wanted some adventure after high school. Grew up fast, saw a lot of the world and met some good friends. The politics and the toxic senior nco's and officers made me hate putting the uniform on each day, and after a while missing holidays and spending time with family gets tough. I'm an Afganistan veteran and proud to have served my country, but knowing what I know now I can't say I'd be too eager to do it again.

The politics always ruins the belief and reasoning. There isn't much for backbones in the D.C. belt!

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member

No joke here on the politics. The good ole boy system is a tough one to uproot and will never truly disappear. Taking care of our Soldier's should always be a leaders #1 priority, but it can be to a fault of the organization as a whole if you are stuck in the same unit for a prolonged period of time. It's a fine line to walk and I like to think some of us are trying to take the hard right.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never served...talked to all branches of recruiters my junior year in high school. Not saying I would have for sure went into the military, but I blew out my knee with permanent nerve damage playing football that ended a military and sports career...

Thank you to all that served and are serving.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
No joke here on the politics. The good ole boy system is a tough one to uproot and will never truly disappear. Taking care of our Soldier's should always be a leaders #1 priority, but it can be to a fault of the organization as a whole if you are stuck in the same unit for a prolonged period of time. It's a fine line to walk and I like to think some of us are trying to take the hard right.

For sure, don't get me wrong I served under some fantastic NCO'S at times, and there are great leaders across the army. But there are some that put oer and ncoer bullets over the care of soldiers. If your chain of command doesn't have your back soldiers lose moral real quick.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank you to all of you that did, are currently doing it and will in the future. I never have and do not think i could. An uncle of mine i was really close with died a few years ago and never talked much about Vietnam. I got him too one time when i was in high school learned alot. Then after he died we went through all of his Army stuff. Had a log book and alot of papers. Still had his freedom flight ticket in his Army coat pocket. Found out alot about what really happened over there reading thorugh alot of stuff. Anyone that has served in any type of war like that of any era gets my ultimate respect. Hats off to all of you!! I think about this stuff everytime i stand for the national anthem.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
USMC 92-96. Primary MOS 0311 (Sanitation engineering) along with a couple B billets 8152 being one. Did sea duty with the MARDET on the CVN-70 and CVN-72. Went on West PAC with CVN-72. Was with 1st Plt A Co 1/5, 1st Plt I Co 3/5, and STA Plt H&S Co 3/5. Deployed to the land of the Skinnies for a bit (that was a blast...pun intended). Trained hard, fought hard, and played even harder. Met some of my very closest friends, many I still keep in touch with. Seen some very cool places, training with the British Royal Marines in Scotland stands out. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never served.

I graduated from UND in Jan. ’68, BSCE and had a job offer to work in Viet Nam for Morrison Knudsen (RMK-BRJ.) I needed a deferment to be accepted because the initial contract was 18 months. No dice. I ended up getting drafted and went to Ft. Lewis for basic training just after Labor Day ’68. In basic the Army found out that I should not have passed my physical and they cut me loose. I went to Viet Nam on Dec. 1 ’68 and worked until Memorial Day weekend ’72. RMK essentially shut down operations in the summer of 1972.

RMK-BRJ had a contract with the US Navy to build whatever the US Military (Army, Navy, Air Force or USAID) needed that the Corps of Engineers and SeaBees could not do.

When I returned to the US I worked construction until 2008 when I retired.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 80