Aluminum parts for ice house

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to make custom house. I am looking for good source of aluminum parts. I found some places but checking if I missed a good site. Door frame parts seem to be little challenge to frame out a custom side door as well as rear door. Any help appreciated. First time working with aluminum so any other tips on glue/tape ect.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not sure about sites for aluminum parts but the "glue/tape" mention made me wonder. I would think that either having the ability to weld aluminum or connect with rivets or set-tapping screws would be a better option.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure about sites for aluminum parts but the "glue/tape" mention made me wonder. I would think that either having the ability to weld aluminum or connect with rivets or set-tapping screws would be a better option.

Most what I have read has said use Vhm tape and your good without rivets to hold sheets on.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any one have any new information? I also need 4x8 sheets aluminum prefer in Fargo area is possible. Was going check with visto trailer sales.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Fish house supply has 4 x 8 sheets. I was in your shoes and thought about building my own I quickly saw aluminum is expensive. Instead I purchased a 6 x 8 ice trek skid house all done and spray foamed. I did my own interior and it did not cost much more than a DIY project

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I plan use the tape. Thanks for information, going full custom on my build. I plan post pictures once done.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m in the process of a build as well. I’m using aluminum camper siding and diamond plating.

Dad, not sure exactly what you are asking?

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with smooth aluminum sheets is that they crinkle slightly over time from cranking the house up and down on uneven surfaces. The wavey siding helps hide this. Smooth fiberglass sheets is where the industry in heading at the moment

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
race car trailers and toter homes have been using tape for years to hold the aluminum on the side

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fish house supply has 4 x 8 sheets. I was in your shoes and thought about building my own I quickly saw aluminum is expensive. Instead I purchased a 6 x 8 ice trek skid house all done and spray foamed. I did my own interior and it did not cost much more than a DIY project

MULEDEER, I have been looking at ice trek and alumalite skid houses for a while now. What do you pull yours with? I have been considering a 5x8 or 5x10 but I want to be able to pull it with my snowmobile mostly for fishing lake winnipeg. I am having a hard time getting info on if this would be possible since most people use tracked rangers which is not in my budget.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 8x12 v front alumalite. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but fully loaded it still weighs quite a bit. I pulled it over 8 miles out onto Clearwater last year and was probably doing 12-15mph with a tracked honda foreman. Snow was 8-15" with moderate drifts. I think long term, if I did that 4-5 times a winter, it would be rough on the ATV, even with tracks.

Pulling it 1-2 miles out on Sak isn't a problem.

I was able to pull mine with a 600 RMK a couple times, but I wouldn't do that very often either, just not the right sled for that kind of work.

I think a 5x8 or 5x10 would pull good behind a sled though, especially if you keep your gear load down and don't load it up too heavy.

MULEDEER

Established Member
Jigaman, I just bought my ice trek have not pulled it yet. I do have a ranger with tracks however I think a sled would pull it. It’s not all that heavy more ackward if you follow. I think a liquid cooled studded track sled would do the job especially if you are getting the short one. My house is the tall 6 x 8 and with all my stuff in there heater propane tank etc I am around 1000 pounds

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been looking at the skid house market for a few years now. Have any of you asked if these builders would custom build the bottom frame /sled portion? I still see all these guys are building them like and old toboggan. Just 2-3 skinny skis. Why hasn’t someone actually designed one to go over snow? Widen out those skis, get the surface pressure down.

MULEDEER

Established Member
My ice trek sits on two skies they are 6 inches sguare with high fax and curved on both ends plenty sturdy IMO. From the videos I watched and research I would think surface pressures would not be much

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
My issue is my design is a very custom house. Aluminum frame, sheeting,and custom pop out if you will. I just didn’t realize some challenges finding parts I need to frame doors and tie some features together. Thanks for few ideas. Skid house crossed my mind but loading and unloading was my concern as I travel to lot different lakes. I wish give few more details but it is “patent pending”����. I am also looking cheap non opening window.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad,

I agree with your comment about challenges. My design is not terribly complicated but there are a lot of little details that add up to very important decisions. My current challenges are furnace location, spacing and venting, backing for interior/exterior items and electrical layout. I plan on posting pictures to share my build on NDA.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am starting to use some 80/20 aluminum framing and find it works well. It may be idea. You could use it as rail to attach toys around outside, rod holders, lights etc.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just information to the group, I got 4ftx10ft sheet of .045 aluminum for $75 sheet at Performance Auto in fargo. Visto's has them as well for 4x8 for $100. He can also get 5x10 if needed. He has front and back same color or white on one side. Good place to do business.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75