So we found a honey hole....now what?

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Earlier this year, we ran across a smaller (less than 5 acres) slough bottom with a good mix of cattail, grasses, and willows. In the field surrounding it was standing beans with some stunted corn mixed in. This spot is not easily accessible, but there are probably some other people that have hunted it besides us, I don't know for sure.

First time we hunted it, we kicked up 10-15 pheasants. Since the weather has turned colder, more and more birds have moved in. Farmer cut the crop off end of October. Even after that, we walked it again one time and guesstimated 50-60 birds in there.

This has been the most consistent and most productive spot for us throughout the season. So the question is, how many birds can be shot out of an area like this without having drastic consequences on the overall population of the area?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Earlier this year, we ran across a smaller (less than 5 acres) slough bottom with a good mix of cattail, grasses, and willows. In the field surrounding it was standing beans with some stunted corn mixed in. This spot is not easily accessible, but there are probably some other people that have hunted it besides us, I don't know for sure.

First time we hunted it, we kicked up 10-15 pheasants. Since the weather has turned colder, more and more birds have moved in. Farmer cut the crop off end of October. Even after that, we walked it again one time and guesstimated 50-60 birds in there.

This has been the most consistent and most productive spot for us throughout the season. So the question is, how many birds can be shot out of an area like this without having drastic consequences on the overall population of the area?

Every rooster you can. You won't get them all and you don't need many to service hens next spring. The fewer roosters there are @ the end of season, the more hens will survive the winter.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know it's tempting to push it every day you can but I would let it rest or you may push the birds out of there. It won't be there "sanctuary" anymore.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once a week isn't too much. And 1 rooster for every 10 hens is the general rule of thumb.

- - - Updated - - -

GPS coordinates and I will swing by and do an assessment of the situation for you.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I've had many fellow hunters consult me directly with this problem. My recommendation has been and always will be to send me the coordinates and I'll provide my consultation services. After a thorough review, I'll provide my opinion on how to best manage this area. My opinion has always had a 100% success ratio!!

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now that you said something about it there will be posted signs every 20ft around the slough

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Still not posted, but the birds moved out. We walked it Sunday afternoon and kicked up 1 rooster and 3 hens. Oh well, I think we took around 20-25 roosters out of there this year, probably enough.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a stretch like that adjacent to cannonball leased land. The ole out of staters would pay the big bucks and every rooter would hole up in that little strip of sht. To the point that you had your dogtra on max and never heard a Yelp. It was that good.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats quite the haul for one spot,20-25 birds,once the crops are down those little gem spots when you find them by late season the birds get jumpy,cough,yell or whistle your dog most often will have the birds jumping up 100 yds up in front of you,well thats my take anyway but its still fun with or w/o birds in the bag.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got a few spots that always have one rooster in them one of them is at the gun range. I have know idea why I get 1 rooster out of that spot most of the time i hunt it. I don't go there all the time but when i do one there.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure is there is a correct answer. Depends on many things that can change every day.
Just use a little common sense if you want it for the future.
And if you over hunt for today's satisfaction you know what tomorrow will bring. db

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't think you can shoot too many roosters. There will always be enough around to breed in the spring. You can over-hunt an area and chase the game to another location. Don't know the answer to how much is to much but I would think about once a week or a little less would be ok, what you don't know is whether you are the the only one who considers the spot their personal honey-hole. Roosters are not a hens friend during the winter.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Persecute roosters with extreme prejudice!!! It's the best thing you can do to ensure a healthy pheasant population other than preserve/plant good winter habitat. Roosters are predatory on hens during the winter. They're real bastages and I sure enjoy knockin'em down. (Grin)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74