240 wby

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys make my head spin when you get rolling on all these custom firearms.

Where or where do you find the time?

it started about 2 years ago with a good buddy introduced me too it.
couple that with a wife and 3 kids and I cannot justify running around the state chasing snow geese anymore so enter long range shooting addiction. I can still be home comfortably in my basement dreaming up my next thing to test haha

truly is pretty fun and I have a good guy to learn from and ask a lot of questions. my 4 year old son had more fun telling me to "send it" (shoot)sunday than he did plinking with his little .22.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a side note also I am thinking of a 243wssm but not sure if it will work with a Remington action, also I think they can be a pain in the but to reload from what I have heard. SDMF I'll check into a few different 257 loads, thanks

I have seen tons of coyotes shot in my lifetime and 6mm/.24 cal and 25 calibers really stop them at a distance. The 240 Weatherby is a good coyote round but expensive brass investment especially when they get flung in the snow. My favorite round is 6x284. The 6x284 is fairly fur friendly if shot placement is good. If you want to go to a 6mm/24 caliber look at getting a blue-printed action from PTG and buy a good barrel and stock and have gunsmith build you a 243 Ackley Improved. With the Ackley you will be able to shoot factory 243 ammo with good accuracy and when you have enough fireformed you can start load development. The nice thing about Ackleys is that you don't have to trim.

- - - Updated - - -

Another note don't buy a 243 wssm they are a joke. The cartridge is already has already died an early death. The have feeding issues and bring nothing to the table in additional accuracy.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys make my head spin when you get rolling on all these custom firearms.

Where or where do you find the time?

Building is actually a time saver if you have a good gunsmith. By the time you've decided to build, you should already have a bullet or two in mind and maybe 1-3 powders picked out. Unless you're the guy building new projectiles the rest of the work is pretty much done for you by the time a product is launched. The brass case is merely a vessel. There's likely already been multiple vessels before that mimic or very closely mimic the "new" one. That being the case, velocity for a given projectile weight, bbl length, and powder burn rate is fairly easy to figure, One can also run predictions in quick load.

a good gunsmith is going to ensure a reasonably accurate rifle with everything. Then it's up to the user to do the final tweaking. A good gunsmith takes all the potential mechanical pitfalls off the table though.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well here we go with a new .240 1:7 twist and 110 hornady A-tips. Should be a real “splasher” lol.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well here we go with a new .240 1:7 twist and 110 hornady A-tips. Should be a real “splasher” lol.

Oh No!!! John Snow has his Longclaw. Next thing you know he’ll be riding dragons.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ended up going with a 243 with 55s it was a screamer, was a fun gun just tough on high priced pelts I’ll find some load data later after I get done hunting this morning

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

i am interested in what the atip will do to a deer . My brother just bought a box to load in his prc

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am interested in what the atip will do to a deer . My brother just bought a box to load in his prc

I won’t be able to tell you because I won’t shoot a deer with a target bullet.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the heavy bullets with the extra lead in the shorts prolly work good . I just hate making a mess of things at 3300-3400 FPS which is what I’m thinking will be. But haven’t shot her yet.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 243 load I was using was a 55g nosler ballistic tip, @4100fps on the chronograph, IMR 4064 powder was the fastest and shot well . I also remember using varget with good results just not as fast. Was shooting them out of a Ruger American 243 with a suppressor. On coyotes it did it’s best on big coyotes, smaller ones the bullet would be expanding on the exit an made a mess of them. It also did not kill them very good when that would happen. 8in of drop @ 400 yards

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m gonna try reloder 26 with 110 grainers.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I won’t be able to tell you because I won’t shoot a deer with a target bullet.

Killed a few with 178 Amax out of a 308 and a 162 Amax out of a 7 SAUM. One word.....devastation.

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
All I have shot for amax is 75’s at 3400. They splash but are very accurate and great down range.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me, it's pretty simple: Use the tool that was designed for the job at hand.
While you could theoretically change a tire with a crescent wrench, wouldn’t you rather grab the tire iron?

Any bullet can kill, but target bullets are not designed for it, so when they happen to "work" it is technically an unintended result. When they don't work, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the gun!!!! I will try to post a pic.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
To me, it's pretty simple: Use the tool that was designed for the job at hand.
While you could theoretically change a tire with a crescent wrench, wouldn’t you rather grab the tire iron?

Any bullet can kill, but target bullets are not designed for it, so when they happen to "work" it is technically an unintended result. When they don't work, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Actually I'd use an impact driver....

I should clarify. Every deer I've ever shot, ever seen shot and ever heard about getting shot with an Amax was a boom flop. EVERY single one...

I actually quit using them only because the damage was unbelievably ugly. Absolute carnage!! If you want to put a deer down in it's tracks there is NO doubt what bullet I'd use out of my 308 or 7 SAUM.

Nevertheless I do like to eat venison so I switched back to TSX & TTSX which do the job with much less waste.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go to skin an animal and it’s a huge mess. No thanks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76