240 wby

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a 240 wby?? Was thinking about getting one for coyotes. If so do you reload? I'm thinking of shooting 55gr

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why not 22-250, 243, or even 25-06?
240 Wby just seems like an eccentric choice for a coyote gun, unless that's what you're going for, in which case, I dig it.

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one in a Remington 700 1-13.5 twist and it shoots pretty good. If you want speed go with a 6MM Ackley improved and shot 70 gr 4000 to 4100 FPS. It will shoot real flat out to 450 yds.

Im having a 6MM BRX built right now with a 1-8 twist. Will out shoot the 6mm creedmoor and is winning most of the F class shoots. Its going to be a light carry rifle for hunting and long range shots

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd not go factory 240Wby because with that much case capacity, you're really missing the boat by not having a 1:8 twist and shooting 105's or heavier. If you're having a smith spin it up then twist it right and knock yourself out.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have a 240 wby?? Was thinking about getting one for coyotes. If so do you reload? I'm thinking of shooting 55gr

Most Weatherby rifles and especially Weatherby calibers are really hard to reload for. They have a really large freebore and in order to get the bullets close to the lands you end up with a bullet too long to fit in the magazine, so you end up shooting a bullet you don't want to shoot or you shoot a single shot.

****ask me how I know***

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd not go factory 240Wby because with that much case capacity, you're really missing the boat by not having a 1:8 twist and shooting 105's or heavier. If you're having a smith spin it up then twist it right and knock yourself out.

you hit the absolute nail on the head with that statement. love hearing the guys tell me about their factory made wildcat loads with insufficient barrel twist to handle LR loads. so whats the point? in sense there buying a corvette and driving it like a prius....

- - - Updated - - -

I have been looking at a 26 nosler as I have a thing for the new berger 155's. in my calculations I would need a 1-7.5-7.7 twist and no factory gun would make that their all 1-8. so basically itll be custom or I wouldn't do it, I cant justify a 26 nosler for the 140gr when a standard savage .260 Remington slings those just fine with no modification.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
you hit the absolute nail on the head with that statement. love hearing the guys tell me about their factory made wildcat loads with insufficient barrel twist to handle LR loads. so whats the point? in sense there buying a corvette and driving it like a prius....

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If it's to shoot a lightweight bullet at the most insane velocity you can achieve, and turn varmints into a pink mist within 400 yards, then a slow twist is fine.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I have been looking at a 26 nosler as I have a thing for the new berger 155's. in my calculations I would need a 1-7.5-7.7 twist and no factory gun would make that their all 1-8. so basically itll be custom or I wouldn't do it, I cant justify a 26 nosler for the 140gr when a standard savage .260 Remington slings those just fine with no modification.

Might want to check with what Broz has been doing i though i read he had been testing the 155 with one of the 26 nosler or a speed burner like it and getting great results with the 1-8. The higher velocity and elevation will make up for the twist from what i have read.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...the-NEW-Berger-155-gr-6-5-Elite-Hunters/page2

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

Cooper's custom shop will allow you to specify twist, add/delete a muzzle brake/muzzle threading, etc, etc, etc. Their lead time is painfully long however. 2 friends have gone this route and it's 9-12mo at least. The finished product however is fantastically accurate.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess it depends on what your goals are. If it's to shoot a lightweight bullet at the most insane velocity you can achieve, and turn varmints into a pink mist within 400 yards, then a slow twist is fine.

IME, increasing twist greatly increases mist-making ability. Take a 50 V-max from a standard 1:12 twist 223 and compare it to a 1:9 running within 20FPS of each other and the 1:9 will reliably produce noticeably more devastating results. No downside to faster twist other than most of the time you have to build your own.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying for a load that is in a 12 inch drop range for the longest distance. 2 inches high at the most and down to -10" whatever load out of any gun that I can find that is the best at that. That's what I want. A 55g going 4200 has a 7 inch drop @400 yards with a 280 yard zero. 280 yard zero has a highpoint at +2" the most that I want

- - - Updated - - -

I have a swift right now but don't want to shoot bullets smaller than 50gr

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely open to differnt options

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm trying for a load that is in a 12 inch drop range for the longest distance. 2 inches high at the most and down to -10" whatever load out of any gun that I can find that is the best at that. That's what I want. A 55g going 4200 has a 7 inch drop @400 yards with a 280 yard zero. 280 yard zero has a highpoint at +2" the most that I want

- - - Updated - - -

I have a swift right now but don't want to shoot bullets smaller than 50gr

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely open to differnt options

257Wby w/100's @ 3600 is within 1/4" up/down of meeting your criteria. 0 @ 260 = 2.2" high @ 150yds and 10.25" low @ 400. I run 100gn TSX's in mine and i haven't "blown-up" a coyote yet. It knocks the snot outta deer and antelope too so you end up with some extra versatility. Recoil is in the 270/30-06 range. FWIW, mine is a re-barreled Winchester using a Lilja #3 1:10" 3-groove @ 25". Lilja's #3 pretty well matches the bbl contour of a standard Rem 700 in a magnum chambering like 7, 300, or 338. The 1:10" #3 3-groove is on their "in-stock" program so it's likely you could call up and have one headed your way same-day.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a side note also I am thinking of a 243wssm but not sure if it will work with a Remington action, also I think they can be a pain in the but to reload from what I have heard. SDMF I'll check into a few different 257 loads, thanks

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might want to check with what Broz has been doing i though i read he had been testing the 155 with one of the 26 nosler or a speed burner like it and getting great results with the 1-8. The higher velocity and elevation will make up for the twist from what i have read.

http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...the-NEW-Berger-155-gr-6-5-Elite-Hunters/page2

haha I'm have been following that closely. very interesting and that guys knows his shit. the initial testing of those 215s EOL is what lead me to the 140s I run out of my .260 now and the results are just insane. I'm just try9ing to decide to go cheaper and risk not stabilizing or build a gun and be sure. I literally just started breaking in my custom rebuild of a 7mm mag this past sunday and with factory ammo mu wife shot a 1.5" group and theres only been 21 shots run through it. think I will have a helluva shooter when I run the 175 EOL with it.

- - - Updated - - -

SDFM--interesting I will look them up. I called savages custom shop and they do not have the buttom to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S I love my savage it is an ugly beast but is an absolute tack driver. it took 4 animals this 2 antelope 1 whitetail doe, 1 mule doe. ranges from 207 yards to 400 and every single one was 1 shot, DOI.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDFM--interesting I will look them up. I called savages custom shop and they do not have the buttom to do that.

Are you saying they don't have a chambering reamer for 257Wby or can't do a 3-groove? If you've been happy w/Savage custom shop's work in the past, then by all means, let them chamber you a bbl. I don't worry a bit about the number of lands/grooves, just stating what I've got so someone would have accurate data to do anything from a direct copy to extrapolating their own ideas with an extra data point.

If I were building the 257Wby today, I'd try to order a 1:8" twist bbl as forethought regarding where projectile R&D is going. 1:10 will work with everything up through 120's, but, I can think of no reason why I wouldn't order a 1:8 anticipating I'd need the extra twist sometime in the future.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha I'm have been following that closely. very interesting and that guys knows his shit. the initial testing of those 215s EOL is what lead me to the 140s I run out of my .260 now and the results are just insane. I'm just try9ing to decide to go cheaper and risk not stabilizing or build a gun and be sure. I literally just started breaking in my custom rebuild of a 7mm mag this past sunday and with factory ammo mu wife shot a 1.5" group and theres only been 21 shots run through it. think I will have a helluva shooter when I run the 175 EOL with it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

P.S I love my savage it is an ugly beast but is an absolute tack driver. it took 4 animals this 2 antelope 1 whitetail doe, 1 mule doe. ranges from 207 yards to 400 and every single one was 1 shot, DOI.

The 195 eol has to be pretty bad ass in the big 7's

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you saying they don't have a chambering reamer for 257Wby or can't do a 3-groove? If you've been happy w/Savage custom shop's work in the past, then by all means, let them chamber you a bbl. I don't worry a bit about the number of lands/grooves, just stating what I've got so someone would have accurate data to do anything from a direct copy to extrapolating their own ideas with an extra data point.

If I were building the 257Wby today, I'd try to order a 1:8" twist bbl as forethought regarding where projectile R&D is going. 1:10 will work with everything up through 120's, but, I can think of no reason why I wouldn't order a 1:8 anticipating I'd need the extra twist sometime in the future.

sorry to hi jack the thread, good discussion going on.

I called savages custom shop with the idea of going with a 6.5-284 and running those 155's and they said they could not run a faster tiwst than the 1-8. I was looking for the 1-7.5 however the more I research and read about it I don't like the 6.5-284 for those 155's anyhow. am thinking 26 nosler, 6.5 SAUM, or the new hornady PRC.

Kurt R
I had it built with a 1-8.5 twist and I think I could stabilize the 195 for the most part but in cold weather is my concern. I know for a fact the 175 will run nicely.....but the hamster is spinning about the 195's. I rebuilt this 7 on the old 700 series platform ADL new stock, trigger, barrel, kept the original action the same. it was the firt gun my ole man gave me and instead of it sitting in the closet I asked him if it was okay to rebuild it and he liked that idea. so 2100+250 jewel trigger upgrade and=1400 scope and I waste nearly 4K haha it better fkn shoot!!!!

- - - Updated - - -
not sure the mag would hold those 195's either. I have my starting point for the 175 and they will fit nicely but question if the 195 would

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys make my head spin when you get rolling on all these custom firearms.

Where or where do you find the time?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76