Crossbow

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Is there anyone on here that can provide some information about crossbows? I am finding it overwhelming on what features a guy should key on, what brands are good, etc.

Any info would be appreciated!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in the same boat as you a month ago "shoulder finally gave out after 40 years of archery. Word of advice, with today's fast bows keep your poundage down. Not much need to shoot 70-80 lbs"
They all make some darn nice crossbows, like anything it comes down to how much do you want to spend. I did allot of research and since I'm new to these rat traps as I call them this seemed like a darn good deal. And in fact it is, thing is dead on. You won't find a better deal, comes with everything you need to go hunting except a case and there's all kinds of them around. Seemed to good to be true for $218 but it's not.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/352181930948

But if your one of those guys that money is no object and you want the very best then this is your huckleberry.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/272807165084

Last edited:

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
One with a fancy hand winch built in to load it and a decocker is the only things I would recommend everything else is just preference

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
That is a good deal for that setup! Figured I would spend $500-700 on a setup if I need to. I would like to purchase something I can have for 20 years like I did my compound bow (Parker), since I am not a buy/trade-up kind of guy.

In your opinion, is the rope cocker good enough or do you wish you had one with crank to cock the bow?

Can you put a front pistol grip on this model?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
About 30 years ago I injured my shoulder. The Xray at the emergency room didn't see anything. Then I got calcium deposits that formed impingements. So I had surgery, but they said it would grow back. I was going to be very accurate to 80 yards this year so I bought a bow trainer at Scheels and pulled it every other day. It did get my accuracy up, but it also stimulated that calcium growth I guess. Now it's to painful to pull my bow. I take anti inflammatory (Celebrex) every day for the past 15 years so I can't take ibuprofen so I can't pull my bow. That and I fell in the rocks shooting carp this spring and crushed the bursa of the left elbow. So it's a crossbow for me too. Ticks me off since I just dropped $850 on a Dan Tolke Whip (longbow).

I picked up a one year old used Scorpyd from my brother who purchased the Ravin last fall. Then I put a Hawk scope on it. I have only shot it at a target about five times and have not gone hunting with it yet. I see they have really marked down there crossbows at Dunhams. Not as good of a deal as 5577 posted though.

Just for information the reverse limb bows have about 50% longer throw than traditional longbows. My 135 lb does 380 fps.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
Excalibur makes/made a good bow, if you can stand a recurve...

I like the fewer moving parts on these! BUT I also like some of slimmer models you can get for shooting out of blinds. There just seems to be way to many options with no real good local place to check out a large selection.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the fewer moving parts on these! BUT I also like some of slimmer models you can get for shooting out of blinds. There just seems to be way to many options with no real good local place to check out a large selection.

I pretty much quit hunting out of a blind or in a stand when using a bow. Much prefer being mobile and its more challenging on the ground IMO.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Barnett (sp?) And I use a rope cocker with no problem. You can also but bolts made for decocking. Got a big blog on the end that you just shoot towards the ground. I like the set up and paid around $275.

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is a good deal for that setup! Figured I would spend $500-700 on a setup if I need to. I would like to purchase something I can have for 20 years like I did my compound bow (Parker), since I am not a buy/trade-up kind of guy.

In your opinion, is the rope cocker good enough or do you wish you had one with crank to cock the bow?

Can you put a front pistol grip on this model?

I was pretty worried about the whole rope cocking thing the first couple times I'm not going to lie! Felt like I was putting my fingers around a rat trap but they are in fact very simple to load and extra safe. Now its no big deal, just be careful with pac boots loading it and make sure your toe is all the way in the loading hoop. Like Prairieghost I also upgraded to a Hawk scope, pretty darn nice. That and I bought a $20 discharge target bag at scheels. I don't think you can buy a pistol grip for it. But the AR stock in the rear is slick, just puch in the button and it moves back and forth. Oh one last thing I bought was a cradle that mounts on my tripod. I've always wanted one for a rifle but they are $$$. Then Primos came out with this and it works awesome for $30, mounted right on my bogen tripod! :;:cheers

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BD5I76U/?tag=nodakangler10-20

2018-09-02 09.15.16_reduced.jpg

Last edited:

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
so how does one go about getting "certified" to be lame enough to get a crossbow permit?

I am also curios of this. I'm only 35 but yet it hurts like a bitch to pull any of my bows back. Whether it be compound, longbow or recurve! Sucks balls haven't even been out this year due to that!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
interesting... so really old folks who are simply too feeble are just "out of luck" then

 Being blind – An individual who is blind means an individual who is totally blind, whose central visual acuity does not exceed
twenty/two hundred in the better eye with corrective lenses, or in whom the widest diameter of the visual field is no greater
than twenty degrees. The above applicant must attach a description of land or preserve where they would use this permit.
 Being a paraplegic.
 Having lost the use of one or both arms – Describe the disability or injury, and why this person is incapable of using a
compound, long or recurve bow with a minimum draw weight of 35 pounds because of this disability or injury. See Permit
Conditions on Page 2. (Physical condition relating completely to the comfort level or strength of the applicant are not
acceptable criteria for issuance of this permit):
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll need to turn in one of these signed by your DR.
Believe me I'd gladly hunt with my bow if I could, hopefully someday I will be able to again.

https://gf.nd.gov/gnf/licensing/docs/sfn6076.pdf

I have yet to talk with a crossbow shooter who doesn't want to get back to his compound or stick bow. I have only had this crossbow for a couple of weeks and can't stop running into crap in the house with it.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was actually thinking it would be neat to have my 80 yr old mom and her significant other wack some deer out of a blind.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For me age 71, tore rotary cup, surgery with all that comes with that and you get one.
bought ten point at calbells. 1350 and got for a little over 700.
put rest on and is as accurate as my 22 at 20 yards, crank works fine except one is to shoot to unload. However not the case.
hope to use soon. Db
Does seem heavy and also seems awkward but overall I feel good when shooting it.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73