Big Buddy Heater troubleshoot

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out on the ice yesterday and the heater was running fine for a few hours. I've had the heater for about a year. Used last seasons and now one time this year. Back to my problem. While using the heater yesterday, it started to act like it wasn't getting enough propane and eventually would shut off.

Being it was so cold and we weren't opening the house often, I thought maybe it was the oxygen sensor. We opened the doors and let some air in. Did not solve the problem. As we used the heater, it got worse and worse to the point the pilot light would start and slowly fade out. Thank god we had a back up sun flower heater.

So my question, what would cause this? Could it be the thermocouple? Propane filter? Or something else entirely? Any one else have this issue with their big buddy?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very good chance it was freezing up , if you had it outside the house?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have the hose with regulator or the one without? If it is the hose with regulator don't use the filter.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Propane tank was outside, heater was inside.

When we hooked up the sunflower, that worked just fine.

Hose is without regulator.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
My guess it was freezing up outside. When u had the sunflower head inside you got enough pressure for it to work, with a slight temperature change. Try your heater when you get a chance today with a warm tank and see what it does. I have had this happen before. And like you I ALWAYS carry an extra heater. I have been down that road before ONCE, without and extra and ended the fishing trip.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, i'm not sure what it would be. I've been using my buddy heater for about 6-7 years with no issues. I use 11# tank with no-regulator hose and new filter every year. Been out on some extremely cold windy days.

hardwaterdriller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Propane tank is freezing up. If you placed the tank inside, bet it would start working. Same thing happens on the ice house when it is this cold out, the heater will shut off. Pain in the ass when it happens at 4am. Seems to happen once it gets below -5 to -10. Usually why I won't ice fish over night if it is way below zero, I don't like messing with no heat.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Propainfreezing up.. have had the same thing happen.. it sucks ,, I bring a couple one pounders and leave them under my portable seats for this instance.. slap them on and bring the 20lber in to warm it up.. pain in the butt ,, the bad part of the big buddy

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys grill or use smokers during the winter??? I just grilled last night ---a grill will burn as much or more then a big buddy. Try this first : Replace the fuel filter on the hose. Mine did that two weeks ago and that was the issue. Its up connected to the regulator. Now i have had a regulator go bad too -- just change sides you put the hose on the buddy. In addition lay your tank on the ice vs sitting up --- the baffles in the propane tank are shtty or if you are experiencing freeze up then this gives more sq inches of gas to expose and run up your hose.

dkbigsky

There is a sensor on the bottom I don't remember if it is the tip sensor or O2 put a jumper across the terminals it will fix your problem. But if its the tip sensor you tip it over it will burn whatever its on. Same with the O2 be careful.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Anybody on here remember how they use to heat up a propane tank

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
you guys grill or use smokers during the winter??? I just grilled last night ---a grill will burn as much or more then a big buddy. Try this first : Replace the fuel filter on the hose. Mine did that two weeks ago and that was the issue. Its up connected to the regulator. Now i have had a regulator go bad too -- just change sides you put the hose on the buddy. In addition lay your tank on the ice vs sitting up --- the baffles in the propane tank are shtty or if you are experiencing freeze up then this gives more sq inches of gas to expose and run up your hose.

But a propane tank on a grill is usually in close proximity to the grill itself so shouldn't have a chance to get cold once grill is started.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i think the big buddies freeze up with tanks outside cause they don't use enough propane to create enough flow or pressure to insure the valves don't freeze in crazy cold temps like this. probably get the same result with a grill if you only used one burner and set it on low. just spit balling.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Simply the colder it gets the less vapor LP makes. -44 and it stays in liquid form. If you are using your 20# just for winter paint it a dark color and set it in the sun and you will have less of a vaporizing problem.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
GasCanisterFuelVaporizationPressureVsATM+PSIBasic2.png

- - - Updated - - -

notice how fewer dollars you get out of the ATM at lower temps

science bitches

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had similar issues with #20 tank until I changed the filter each season.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74