Freezing sewer vent pipes

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
It also helps to paint the pipes flat black. The white PVC pipe reflects the sun light and doesn't heat up like the black would.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just went up and cleaned mine, one was totally plugged. I hate taking that first step off and onto the damn roof thou!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have this problem with one of mine. It has a bend and a horizontal run just a few feet below the roof line, so the copper T is no help. I insulated it in the attic, but if that helped, it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure I tried WD-40 last year with no success. I just cleaned it up last week and put some grease on the inside and top lip, and then coated it with crushed up ice melt, I believe the magnesium chloride. So far, so good, but the real test will be Saturday when it's colder than a witches titty.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Smells like i will be going on my roof today. Awesome

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have this problem with one of mine. It has a bend and a horizontal run just a few feet below the roof line, so the copper T is no help. I insulated it in the attic, but if that helped, it wasn't much. I'm pretty sure I tried WD-40 last year with no success. I just cleaned it up last week and put some grease on the inside and top lip, and then coated it with crushed up ice melt, I believe the magnesium chloride. So far, so good, but the real test will be Saturday when it's colder than a witches titty.

So, I'm wondering if you pushed a copper tubing that is flexible like 3/8" OD, if it would make the corners and do the trick

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
6689C843-C3B2-433B-90C6-63DE343B9AF5.jpg
maybe longest water heater hookups they make?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was thinking more the coil you can buy and bend with your hands, put a curve in the end and try pushing in while rotating like running a sewer snake. I guess I am assuming the freeze up is from moisture entering from the end of pipe on the roof and not condensation where the temperature change occurs.

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wagon Wheel Lumber that is. Called them this morning they have them in stock.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend fell off his roof opening sewer vents the other day. Broken ribs, wrist, facial bones. He had copper pipes in.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I tried to get on my slippery powder covered metal roof and I give it a 50/50 chance I make it on and off the ladder without falling. I'd rather not damage my new roof with ice fishing cleats, what other options a guy have? I have two vents frozen shut.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00RENWXVU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1514654304&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=insul+vent&dpPl=1&dpID=311BhBsEnOL&ref=

This, $27.00 at Wagon Wheel Limber in Washburn. Available to fit different size vents. You won’t hsve a freeze up again.

I have seen these advertised but don't know anyone who ever used them. Would be good if it works!

- - - Updated - - -

Wagon Wheel Lumber that is. Called them this morning they have them in stock.

Is it just for 4'' pvc pipe?

Would Menards have these?

Last edited:

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I tried to get on my slippery powder covered metal roof and I give it a 50/50 chance I make it on and off the ladder without falling. I'd rather not damage my new roof with ice fishing cleats, what other options a guy have? I have two vents frozen shut.

Rubber slip on overshoes give a guy a little extra grip. Have used this trick in the summer but not sure how well it will work in the winter once the rubber gets cold.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got em opened up. taped a plastic measuring cup to the end up a painters extension pole.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vents freeze up all the time and every day when it gets really cold out, after reading this post I picked up the copper made a couple of T's for both my vents and so far so good, Thanks for the Tip

Motor Mouse

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Insul Vents are made in different sizes to fit different size vent pipes. They absolutely work. I’ve not seen them at Menards but not sure. I believe they are manufactured by special needs people in MN or ND.

As far as the copper pipe trick goes the original concept was a cross not a capital T. With the cross the wind is able to rock it back and forth helping keep the vent open. That in addition to coppers high thermal conduction properties they work pretty good. But the Insul Vents have been 100% reliable for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80