Freezing sewer vent pipes

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those insul-vents sure look cheesy -- they're basically two small black buckets screwed together with some holes drilled in them, and a thin Styrofoam liner -- but (so far) they appear to work.

I thought mine was froze up the other day at about 9 below...
20220125_171920.jpg

...but it was actually still very much open.
20220125_171933.jpg

I'll hold my opinion for a while yet until I see how it performs at -20.

Full disclosure: I have a 3" pipe, but bought a 4" insul-vent and wrapped my pipe with 1" of additional insulation before putting it on, so mine is a bit better insulated than stock.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My pipes are black and on the sunny side of roof and I have never had a problem with freeze up. 4/12 pitch on roof so maybe 2 ft of vertical pipe under roof and most of` that is covered by insulation. You guys with those high steep roofs with 10 ft of pipe in attic are the ones with problems. LB

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I capped mine just like the sewer skewer and then drilled holes through the horizontal section of the T. Very similar to the sewer skewer. Because of how corrosive H2S gas is, I used heavier copper, soldered al the joints and ran two stainless self screws in at each joint for insurance. Directions on the sewer skewer say to replace them after 2 years but if you look at them they are pretty light copper. Maybe that's the key but I figured mine should be good for atleast 5-years. Maybe I need to redrill and increase the hole sizes in the T? IDK, maybe the lighter copper is the key. in any regard, I still had the one trouble vent freeze up once this year with both the insulvent
and the 12 foot copper T!

why did you cap the ends? I was curious why they did this in the ones sold in store. I left mine open and then drilled holes in the bottoms of the ends

That guy

Honored Member
Carefull I fell off my roof checking my vent at end of dec. right leg is severely broken and will be laid up most likely till spring.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
why did you cap the ends? I was curious why they did this in the ones sold in store. I left mine open and then drilled holes in the bottoms of the ends

To be honest, I was only trying to match and build a giant version of the actual "Sewer Skewer". I spent some time on their web-site looking at there different products and extensions and decided to build my own out of better material and larger/longer. I assumed the sewer skewer has closed ends for a reason other than manufacturing so I did the best Chinese copy cat that I could.

With that said, I have only had 1 freeze up instance so far this winter so I would thus far say it has been better. I actually think they cap the ends so it forces/traps the warm air/gas in the T and keeps the smaller cross drilled holes in the T open better and helps defrost the area around the outside of the copper to keep the vent frost free. I may drill the cross holes in the T out slightly larger for next year so they flow a little more air. When My vent froze this winter, the cross drilled holes were still thawed and open, they just weren't able to exhaust quite enough air. I assume there's a balance of moving to much air where the air/gas begins to cool; and to little, where you start to get some back-up on the few days it almost freezes shut. At least that's my theory, lol.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got thrown from a horse 1 1/2 years ago, knee is still buggered up

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
John said " I got buggered "
I knew it . Always figured you for a guy that got buggered !!!
:;:rockit

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got thrown from a horse 1 1/2 years ago, knee is still buggered up
and we’re just learning this now?

inquiring minds want to know -

how fast was your Harley going?

how liquored up were you?

thats all for now - more later

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member

The embarrassment of falling off of a horse cuts long, wide, and deep. It takes years to recover from this humiliation,

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I was in the majestic badlands of Medora, with mrs johnr my youngest and 4 other friends. A good friend of my wife is a horse lady with multiple horses and all the gear. We decided to join them in a ride, not wanting to go, but also not wanting to be a party pooper I saddled up and went on the ride. Well about 8 miles from camp in the midst of the rugged badlands we get off the horses to take a break and have a drink, once we saddle back up my horse leads itself up the butte as the rest of the crew proceeds down. My horse noticing the rest going down decides to do an about turn and gallop down the step grade, and take a sudden left turn to catch up with the other horses, he turns left, I go straight into the jagged rock and cactus pile and completely put my entire body weight at about 20mph onto my right knee. A few cuts, and a knee instantly doubled in size and back on the fucking horse I get as we are way to far for a walk back to the camp.

I eventually a few days later go to the doctor as the swollen knee is not going down and the pain is constant, did some x-rays, some stretch tests and conclude its just bruised up and nothing can be done, to this day I cannot put my weight on that knee, and it occasionally hurts for no apparent reason.

My iron horse would never do this to me, and that is way I choose to not attend any more horse shenanigans. Fuck all them horses.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ yep

horses are dangerous for those that ride them every 20 years

my last ride was at the age of maybe 16 when a horse I was dumb enough to ride ran full tilt through a tree row - lengthwise - weaving through it like a little dog at a speed trial

I knew what that SOB was trying to do

I wasn't hurt but realized real quick you're at the mercy of that SOB under you and if it's spooked you're ####ed

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74