Freezing sewer vent pipes

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
House has been smelling of sewer the last day or so and I noticed this morning that it looks like some ice/snow is built up on both of the sewer vents on the roof. I am assuming they are plugged up or getting close. They are just 3" pvc vents that stick up about 18". I am wondering if anyone has had any advice for insulating the vents or something I can do to help this?

Thanks

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
WD40 sounds like a good idea. I was under the impression that the "freeze up" was inside the pipe, thus the recommendation to pour hot water down them.

Is there other clues to having frozen pipe, other than smell, like toilet acting squirrelly?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes your toilet will make bubbly sounds after you flush it because there is no room for the air to escape up the sewer vent, instead it comes back through your toilet. Never tried the WD 40 trick, but if you have a broom stick and hot water that usually takes care of it for a good week or so.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure the traps in your floor drains haven't gone dry. This will sometimes give you that sewer smell as well.

RANGER 1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the copper "T" pipe. i put one on my vent about 5 years ago and i have not had that problem since.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone know what makes some vents more susceptible to freezing. Lived in this house for about 40 years and have had a vent freeze one time. Have no special vent. Other than the standard sleeve going over to shingle over and around it's just a PVC pipe going through the roof.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read about the copper T pipe put into the vent and that might work on one of mine but the other one only goes into the attic and then has a bend and a horizontal run so the copper wouldn't really make it into the warm part of the house. I think next summer the plan will be to replace the 3" pipe with 4" and insulate it all the way down into the attic. I might head to menards and see what they have that might insulate the vent on the outside and throw that on when I chip the ice out of the vent.

Magpie

Founding Member
Founding Member
They tend to freeze up in the attic where the pipe exits the insulation and meets the cold air.

Platinum

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Copper T Pipe will solve your problem. I was in Ace Hardware in Devils Lake. They have them made up for $19. Just be careful on the roof when you climb up to install.
I've had one for 10+ years and never had another problem.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well crawled up over lunch and sure enough both vents had frost/snow packed in them at the top. Was pretty easy to clean up then used boiling water to melt any ice build up inside. Once dry I hit them with a good spray of WD so hopefully that helps. Haha $60 for the sewer skewer, I am in the wrong business. I think I will work on making up a couple of them here this weekend and drop in to see it it helps. It wasn't bad getting on the roof this time but I am sure next time it will be covered in snow and ice.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen vent caps that have a magnifying glass built into it to increase heat from the sun.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70