Founding Member
Founding Member
Gunnar turned 10 today.

1st day we brought him home
IMG_1482.jpg
IMG_1484.jpg
IMG_1485.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg
Some pictures from this summer at the lake.
Going for a little swim.
IMG_1115.jpg
At the campfire.
IMG_1060.jpg
Comfy at home.
IMG_0934.jpg

Thanks for looking.

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also have a yellow lab named Gunnar. He's 13.5 and retired after 12 full seasons in the field. I see many similar memories in your photos. Here's hoping you can squeak a few more autumns out of your old boy. Thanks for sharing!

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice looking pup! My yellow lab turn 10 in May, starting to get pretty white in the face...just like his master.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to Gunnarrrrrrrr, Happy Birthday to you!!

You're looking good for an old boy Gunnar. :;:howdy

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
As of the last week Gunnar isn't doing to well. Took him to our vet and she said we needed to get an ultrasound done on him. Ended up taking him to Fargo on Friday for the ultrasound. After the vet did the ultrasound he told us Gunnar has a tumor on his spleen that is bleeding into his abdomen, he has fluid around his heart and the artery going into his heart is twice the size of normal and that the cause of this is more then likely cancer of the blood vessels. He said surgery's and chemo would only give him and extra 4 to 6 months. :( At the age of 11 years, we decided we did not want to put him through all of that for that short of time. So we brought him home. Talked to our vet today and she guessed he only has a few months left. We will monitor him very close, if and when things get to difficult for him we will have to put him down. Its been a very sad week for the wife and I.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear of your impending loss. I remember vividly having to put our 2 wire hair fox terriers down in 2013 and 2014. They are part of the family and it is never easy. My condolences to you and your family.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab went through bone cancer at 10....had to make the same decision you are making. Comfy at home for as long as was humane, then decide when it's time. We made a "bucket list" and made him as happy as he could be in the end. Sobbed all the way home from the vet that last day. My heart goes out to you and your wife.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tikka, I'm so sorry to hear about Gunnar. All I can say is make sure he's a happy dog and when it's time for him (not you) as hard as it will be do the right thing.

I know what you're going through Max just turned 9 and is having some problems with his right front leg and both hips, his Dad Lew didn't make it to 10.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All I can say its never easy and I can feel your pain. Been down that road more times than I want to remember. I have the ash's of all my hunting dogs and they are going with me when my time comes. Remember the good times and do what you need to do when the time comes. Suffering is never easy for anything, man or beast. Good luck and stay strong. Take solace in knowing you gave him a good life, love and friendship as he gave you.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tikka, I'm sorry to hear that about Gunnar.

Lost my black lab Mack last October. It sucks even when you know the time's coming. Dog's just don't live nearly long enough but thank god the memories last a lifetime! Got a new lab this spring but he doesn't hunt yet, still a work in progress.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been down this trail many times and we feel your pain. They are loving companions that want to be with us no matter what we are doing and love us no matter what.
We had to put our chocolate lab Zoey down just before her 7th birthday as she had 3 different kinds of cancer. Acted normal up until the last morning and she couldn't hardly move. One of the hardest days of my life and i have been through many of them believe me. The older one gets the more it bothers us. We decided after that day that we can't go through that again. Love them dearly but the pain that comes when we lose them is just too much for my bride and I. Just our personnal choice and can understand when one gets another one as the love of a dog, there is no comparison!
Enjoy your pets and enjoy your children, there is no love like the love from them all!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm so sorry to read the bad news. Ugh.

Hang in there and try to focus on all the joy your family has shared with him.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
losing a dog sucks. sorry to hear that! nice shotgun by the way. mine is bout 25 years old now and is on its 3rd or 4th slide arm. figure its shot 10,000 plus shells and killed roughly 50 birds. ;)

CrankB8

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deepest condolences sent your way. I think we all can relate to what you are about to have to go through in some way. The only advice I can give to you and maybe this is something that one should learn for themselves any way but I myself will never hold onto my best friend again when they administer the shot. I thought I was prepared and I wasn't. One thing I did do was my wife had a novice photographer friend come over and she took some amazing photos of us that are placed on a memorial with the ashes and from time to time gives me some good memories of the best dog I ever had.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71