Last weekend for roosters

snowkiller

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be heading out tommorow for the last few days.Have not hunted them since oct,been chasing geese.Have seen a few in the area we hunt.Cattails are going to be the key.Anybody else chasing them?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup. We'll be out for the final weekend to see what kinds of population we can roust up. Looks like mother nature is aligned well with the weekend outing.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, for sure. Gotta get my 4 legged girl out for one last time before another season is in the books. Except for -345 degree temps and windchills, late season hunts kick arse compared to early season hunts.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to but am deciding against it. The Bros. Wirehair will NOT be happy, but for the last three years we've hit the final weekend and wound up either bird-less or with a sizable vet bill. I'm going to end 2017 season in 2017 with 5 birds in the freezer and only one close call (Blitz wound up with about 4 inches of cattail up a nostril on the last hunt and, thank GOD, I was able to remove it with a pliars).

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hoping to get the pup out once more on Friday. Probably will have to wear gloves for the first time all season.

Lungdeflator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think we will try spearing on Sak in the morning and then chase birds in the afternoon Saturday. Might be the nicest day until March so better get out there haha!

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't a bad season considering the bird numbers/reports coming in. Seemed where there was decent cover, the bird numbers were fairly normal. Biggest issue is we've lost a lot of cover. Hunted them before the NR rush in October and did okay, and then didn't hit them much until after deer opener. Always nice when the weather cooperates to make it possible to hunt them in the late season, but man was the wind forecast off this past weekend! Even checked it right before going out Saturday morning and it said 9-13 gusting to 18 for Bismarck, got out and it was basically a ground blizzard with 20-25 mph sustained, probably gusting to 30. We had about the perfect amount of snow the last 2-3 weeks to get them out of the thin cover and into the cattails. Definitely had to put some miles on the boots but that's what makes it fun for me. Only got skunked once or twice and limited out more than not; experienced dog was worth his weight in gold. I'd say about an hour of walking per rooster on average. First year that I've hunted zero posted land, which makes getting birds a little more satisfying.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have 4 in the freezer, that will make for some good treats this winter.:;:thumbsup

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, Came up empty handed, plans changed sat, but was able to get out sunday. Nice day despite a little wind in the AM. Went wtih Ex bro in law and a very younger lab he wanted to break in. Birds were getting up 50 yds out, so was taking some very long shots, guess a guy has to on the last day, but having a dog getting out ahead to far not fun. He needs to send the dog off for training, he's not going to have time to train this dog in the right way, any recommendation of someone who can training hunting dog in ND?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Karl in Walcott does a good job - Ivy League Dog Trainers. Builds a good base for obedience, bird and gun intro, etc. He will still need to work with the dog a few times per week but this is a really good start.

Well, Came up empty handed, plans changed sat, but was able to get out sunday. Nice day despite a little wind in the AM. Went wtih Ex bro in law and a very younger lab he wanted to break in. Birds were getting up 50 yds out, so was taking some very long shots, guess a guy has to on the last day, but having a dog getting out ahead to far not fun. He needs to send the dog off for training, he's not going to have time to train this dog in the right way, any recommendation of someone who can training hunting dog in ND?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I managed to get one rooster. My two Brits pointed the bird and they along with a lab went after the dropped bird. All three went to the spot where it dropped. My almost 12 year old took off down the draw while the other two stayed in the area looking for the bird. A couple of minutes later the old dog comes running up with the rooster in her mouth. She has a superior sense of smell. Been like that all her life.

God I am going to miss her.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went out sunday got one, my usual spots just didnt have the birds like the last few years. I just enjoy working with the dog. she is by far the best out of the two before her works like a dream. I can't tell you how good she is you have to be there to see it. I think the difference with her is I held her back a year and got control. pulling her off of fresh pheasants scent to bring her in at a different angle, getting her to come back to me even if pheasant were around not breaking and running flushing birds yea great dog.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
We gave the roosters a rest this weekend and chased tipups. My dog needed a break from hunting more than anything, he got pretty banged up this fall.
IMG_1521.jpg

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went out on Saturday and hunted in a snow storm, flushed 3. biggest problem I had was most of the slews I hunted earlier in the year were burnt off.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got out one last time Friday, temps were just above zero with wind chill only around -15 so relative to days prior it felt pretty nice out. Birds were pretty dam educated and jumpy as could be expected. Was encouraged by the number of birds we saw, did manage to get 7 rootys to hold decent enough and got our 6. Ended up having a pretty good year despite the early reports of bird numbers down. Time to finally break out the short rods and punch a fews holes now I spose.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62