Big kitty snared near Mcleod ND

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
wait what?... why would the gal not explain that to Joel HineyPants?

- - - Updated - - -

also... where’s the deterent in that approach?

vern

Founding Member
Founding Member
What needs to be deterred? You think he actually successfully targeted a mountain lion in McLeod ND? Because if he pulled that off he better buy a lottery ticket and he’ll be worth $400 million in the morning. Finally some common sense from the G&F assuming he does get it back.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
GST Did you find out not to lean on the end of the bar the hard way or by hear say. Seen more than one guy do the Irish jig.:;:cheers

Have a couple friends there that have shared stories!! Never have done the jig.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
#mountainlionlivesmatter

Do people pickle them?

- - - Updated - - -

guilty until proven innocent.....even if he gets it back, he's treated as if he did something wrong. Unnecessary and silly. Do the research, if it was an accident it was an accident. This is obvious......hope he gets it back, but some damage done already by even having it going this far.

She said "one deer per week"...so how many lions are there really in the state, breeding or not? They all eat, right?

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
What needs to be deterred? You think he actually successfully targeted a mountain lion in McLeod ND? Because if he pulled that off he better buy a lottery ticket and he’ll be worth $400 million in the morning. Finally some common sense from the G&F assuming he does get it back.

What happens when someone catches on in the badlands then? Do they automatically get it back as well? It's a slippery slope. If they're going to allow a person to keep it then they might as well just open the season to trapping and snaring too.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
What happens when someone catches on in the badlands then? Do they automatically get it back as well? It's a slippery slope. If they're going to allow a person to keep it then they might as well just open the season to trapping and snaring too.

This isn't difficult. G&F has clearly stated they have no intentions of maintaining/having a breeding population outside of the badlands unit. Snared outside of the badlands unit ='s incidental/ultra-rare by default ='s taker can keep. Snare inside the badlands unit ='s turn it over to G&F and it'll be used for a good cause.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
When this was first posted a week or so ago I was happy the ndgf took it because of the "slippery slope" theory.

But now that I have pondered it for a while and read comments I'm in agreement that if they don't want the cats in that area of the state a person should be able to keep a trapped/snared lion.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Exactly. Also, they were probably trying to avoid an unintended legal precedent.

- - - Updated - - -

When this was first posted a week or so ago I was happy the ndgf took it because of the "slippery slope" theory.

But now that I have pondered it for a while and read comments I'm in agreement that if they don't want the cats in that area of the state a person should be able to keep a trapped/snared lion.

They would then have to change the law to legal trapping and snaring in that region. Done

Last edited:

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give it back and change the law to allow trapping and snaring of them in the non-management zone IMO.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just allow trapping and snaring. We don't need the legislature involved, GNF can change manner of take on their own. This isn't hard they just like making it seem hard, just like the damn lottery, it's what they do!

Nmariner

Established Member
This is the same game and fish dept. that when they put out the Fall Mule Deer survey in the paper said the reason for the low buck to doe ratio was due to more foliage than normal....It had nothing to do with no doe tags being issued for several years. The also claimed the fawn to doe ratio was lower than average. I dont think I saw one doe without a fawn 10 plus days in the field.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
Not that difficult. they have two seperate management areas with two different goals so have two different sets of regulations.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the same game and fish dept. that when they put out the Fall Mule Deer survey in the paper said the reason for the low buck to doe ratio was due to more foliage than normal....It had nothing to do with no doe tags being issued for several years. The also claimed the fawn to doe ratio was lower than average. I dont think I saw one doe without a fawn 10 plus days in the field.

But.... they are "trained professionals"..............:)

Established Member
I bet its siting in someone's living room now?
Ha ha you haven't spent much time in western ND the past 5 years have you...

And I think it is a crock of shit that they took it from him! They don't even have a management plan for them in that area. They should have gave him a trophy or at least a firm handshake and congratulated him instead!

WT2121

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago a farmer had a horse scratched up. ND Stockmans west river fieldman examined and called G&F. G&F determined barb wire incident. A few weeks later another horse. G&F said again barb wire incident. I spoke with ND Stockman fieldman. He has many years experience and disagreed both times it was barb wire. He believed cat. Many people in the area had seen signs of the cat and occasional sightings. G&F maintained barb wire despite neighbors sightings. Then a neighbor shot and killed the large cat. G&F response, silence just like American Family commercial. I hunted the area at the time. Landowners all warned of a cat. This was north of Gladstone. I do not have any reason to trust G&F on any cat news or issues. How will they respond after a child is taken by a cat? My biggest fear.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75