Big kitty snared near Mcleod ND

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard this big kitty was snared near Mcleod.

23773.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
G&F confiscated it because there's no snaring/trapping season on lions.

And they wonder why they garner so much "Positive" aura among sportsmen and their meetings are such happy and joyous events.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be curious if that was an accidental catch or if he was actually targeting cats. From what I know about snaring you definitely need to "target" the species you intend to catch. So you purposely set your snares at dog height and size, thus limiting getting things you don't want. Doesn't means that accidents don't happen, but it limits them.

If this was an accidental catch, even though it was against the rules, why wouldn't the G&F let him keep the kitty? On the other hand if it was proven (or if he admitted) to purposely setting snares for cougars, well, that's a horse of a different color.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There a special way to set snare's for big kittys? Most likely caught in yote set up and I would swear by that.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Relative of mine snared one just south of the dam. He had to give it back as well. It was collared in Pierre the year prior. After everything went down, an older gentleman we know suggested you heat up a bucket of grain, place said collar in the bucket, and float it south. Not sure if he was serious or not.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You can bet there is a [ go beer me account] at the Sand dune Saloon for the guy. Set up by local ranchers.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd be curious if that was an accidental catch or if he was actually targeting cats. From what I know about snaring you definitely need to "target" the species you intend to catch. So you purposely set your snares at dog height and size, thus limiting getting things you don't want. Doesn't means that accidents don't happen, but it limits them.

If this was an accidental catch, even though it was against the rules, why wouldn't the G&F let him keep the kitty? On the other hand if it was proven (or if he admitted) to purposely setting snares for cougars, well, that's a horse of a different color.

imagine if they let you keep incidental walleye taken when you chuck spears at "dark shapes" up in Devils Lake

Bad example I know - but I think it's to ensure nobody is tempted to up their chances of incidental takes

speaking of which - ARE there places in the DL basin where a guy could poach walleyes spearing if he was so inclined?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
speaking of which - ARE there places in the DL basin where a guy could poach walleyes spearing if he was so inclined?

Anyplace that's clear enough probably doesn't have many walleyes swimming by when there when there's enough light to see them anyway.

Back to the OP. IMO, a ND mountain lion is THE pinnacle trophy. Even more than Bighorn Sheep IMO because just about anyone who wants to see a Bighorn in the wild can go find them and view them in or out of the park. Within reason you could contact G&F and they can get you within binocular-range pretty much same-day.

One does not however just decide one day, "I'd like to go and view a Mountain Lion in ND." and actually experience success. You could talk to 100 people who live in the highest density Mt Lion habitat and still not find one for months, or ever, for that matter.

Last edited:

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
More cats moving east? This one near McLeod, one near Hillsboro, and one spotted near Wahpeton all in the last couple months.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
imagine if they let you keep incidental walleye taken when you chuck spears at "dark shapes" up in Devils Lake

Bad example I know - but I think it's to ensure nobody is tempted to up their chances of incidental takes

You can legally UNDERWATER spear walleyes in North Dakota (not ice house spear). Always wanted to try it in Nodak....

- - - Updated - - -

There a special way to set snare's for big kittys? Most likely caught in yote set up and I would swear by that.

I totally skipped the geography lesson. McLeod...ya...that's definitely a yote set and accidental catch.

Still...wowza that's a big cat!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can legally UNDERWATER spear walleyes in North Dakota (not ice house spear). Always wanted to try it in Nodak....

right - Devils is on the list and you must be immersed if you chuck a spear

that oughta weed a few potential chuckers out of the sport in winter

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
saw one east of Ypsilanti about 4 years ago. Couldn't believe my eyes. Will never forget my wife's comment, "is that a kangaroo?!?" (the long bowed tail). He kept his body really close to the ground and slowly crept off into some brush like he knew we were watching him. Didn't believe it for a while but ended up meeting a farmer that lived within a few miles of there and he confirmed it was also seen by his nephew and even ran right in front of him while he was on his 4 wheeler

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Game and Fish should somehow have to have the support of the tax paying citizens before bringing any kind of predator into the State to try and populate it. Next they will probably try wolves.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyplace that's clear enough probably doesn't have many walleyes swimming by when there when there's enough light to see them anyway.

Back to the OP. IMO, a ND mountain lion is THE pinnacle trophy. Even more than Bighorn Sheep IMO because just about anyone who wants to see a Bighorn in the wild can go find them and view them in or out of the park. Within reason you could contact G&F and they can get you within binocular-range pretty much same-day.

One does not however just decide one day, "I'd like to go and view a Mountain Lion in ND." and actually experience success. You could talk to 100 people who live in the highest density Mt Lion habitat and still not find one for months, or ever, for that matter.

Ha ha you haven't spent much time in western ND the past 5 years have you...

And I think it is a crock of shit that they took it from him! They don't even have a management plan for them in that area. They should have gave him a trophy or at least a firm handshake and congratulated him instead!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76