Getting old when

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update: I'm old enough for this, day after tomorrow.

The prep and the procedure are NOTHING compared to a bad hangover. Piece of cake.

- - - Updated - - -

Getting old when I remember as a kid how "Rat Patrol" was a cool and effective way to hunt pheasants. Several guys pile in back of pickup box, driver plowing through fields and sloughs as we blazed away from box. Yikes!

awesome!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell as youngster job pumping full service gas,.12/gallon plus cleaning windshield,checking tire pressure and oil level all for $1.50/hr
did that but with cotton tails. .22 rifles over the cab from the box then the 1st energy crunch .44 / gallon,gas stations closed on sunday's no semi traffic allowed on sunday's crazy times during regans run

39 cent gas

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
did that but with cotton tails. .22 rifles over the cab from the box

39 cent gas

Oh man brings back memories of us hunting cottontails and having a big grilling feast afterwards. Still makes my mouth water just thinking about it!

I remember $.25 gas.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember cheap gas, like around $0.65 and people went ape shit when it went over $1.

Driving around at night on county roads, stubble fields, and section lines blasting jackrabbits.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember cheap gas, like around $0.65 and people went ape shit when it went over $1.

Driving around at night on county roads, stubble fields, and section lines blasting jackrabbits.

Back in the mid 70's we would drive around and shoot Jacks. There were nights where we would shoot 150 to 200 in a night and fill up a pickup box full of Jacks in 2 or 3 nights, then take them to the Mink ranch over by Sheyenne. We would get 25 to 50 cents each. We would see a easy 1000 Jacks in a night.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
When you remember when Old Mil was 4 bucks a case, Pfeifer was 3. Bud and Schlitz were 5 , that way out of my league back then

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
yeah I do 54,my cheap ass drinking "old swell $1.99/12pak in alaska $30/case on the slope smuggeled in to the oil fields barracks,free pot back then as most everone had a grow room in they're house as it was legal until the mid 90's up there
When you remember when Old Mil was 4 bucks a case, Pfeifer was 3. Bud and Schlitz were 5 , that way out of my league back then

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in the mid 70's we would drive around and shoot Jacks. There were nights where we would shoot 150 to 200 in a night and fill up a pickup box full of Jacks in 2 or 3 nights, then take them to the Mink ranch over by Sheyenne. We would get 25 to 50 cents each. We would see a easy 1000 Jacks in a night.

Somewhere I have photos of my dad's hunts. Several pictures are of a grain truck box HEAPING full of rabbit carcasses. I don't recall talking to him about the hunts but do assume in that day and age the hides were worth something or else why waste the ammo. Those old boys went through the dirty thirties. Don't think they would just blast away with nothing coming back in for the effort.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somewhere I have photos of my dad's hunts. Several pictures are of a grain truck box HEAPING full of rabbit carcasses. I don't recall talking to him about the hunts but do assume in that day and age the hides were worth something or else why waste the ammo.

I talked with my dad about rabbits back in the 30's. He said when you pulled up to a straw pile with a team of horses you could shoot a box of 22s and there were so many rabbits that if you never missed a shot there were still rabbits running around when you finished. He talked about rabbit drives where whole neighborhoods and city folks got together and surrounded 4 sections. They drove rabbits and a few fox ahead of them. Some people shot a few with shotguns with small shot. When people got close together they went to clubs. They would have hundreds perhaps more than a thousand rabbits in one drive.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Somewhere I have photos of my dad's hunts. Several pictures are of a grain truck box HEAPING full of rabbit carcasses. I don't recall talking to him about the hunts but do assume in that day and age the hides were worth something or else why waste the ammo. Those old boys went through the dirty thirties. Don't think they would just blast away with nothing coming back in for the effort.

Its hard to believe the number of Jacks that were out there. Are spot lights were hylex jugs with the bottom cut off. We would take a headlight and wire it up and put it in the jug. And the wire would come out the cap and you had a handle on the jug. A light out the front windows and 2 gunners in the back seat. We used mostly 22's. I shot 1000's of Jacks in the 70's.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my youth rabbits were plentiful. One day my dad and I in a 49 Olds convertible shot 33 rabbits in a couple of hours as we drove around 160 acres of plowing. Trunk got full so ended up putting in the back seat. In the spring they stuck out with their white fur in the dirty snow as they tried to hide. If I remember right about 25 cents a rabbit. Been chased and have chased others when shinning rabbits.

Not as good as the gophers that the county paid us for tails until they found out we would cut the tail off and let the gopher go. Then they paid for a back leg. And that story gets better as I sure many of you old guys know.

There were no coyotes then and now they are many plus the disease would hit every so often to lessen the rabbits numbers.
But I remember my folks saying in the spring with mating the whole pasture was one solid bunch of rabbits running around. db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Getting old when I remember as a kid how "Rat Patrol" was a cool and effective way to hunt pheasants. Several guys pile in back of pickup box, driver plowing through fields and sloughs as we blazed away from box. Yikes!

I've got the complete Rat Patrol DVD set. :;:smokin

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got the complete Rat Patrol DVD set. :;:smokin

I have it on VHS ....

- - - Updated - - -

I remember gas at $0.29 .....

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Loved Rat Patrol. Reminds me of the days we ran around with APCs and Self propelled howitzers with the 50 Cal on top.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
When getting up at 430 am is just a daily routine instead of going to set up decoys

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got this today from a childhood friend - seemed appropriate for this thread.

And then it was Winter

I FIRST STARTED READING THIS EMAIL & WAS READING FAST UNTIL
I REACHED THE THIRD SENTENCE. I STOPPED AND STARTED OVER,
READING SLOWER AND THINKING ABOUT EVERY WORD.
THIS EMAIL IS THOUGHT PROVOKING.

MAKES YOU STOP AND THINK. READ SLOWLER!
AND THEN IT IS WINTER

You know, time has a way of moving quickly and catching you unaware of
the passing years. It seems just yesterday that I was young, just married
and embarking on my new life with my mate. Yet in a way, it seems like eons
ago, and I wonder where all the years went. I know that I lived them all.
I have glimpses of how it was back then and of all my hopes and dreams.

But, here it is, the winter of my life and it catches me by surprise...How
did it get here so fast? Where did the years go and where did my youth go?
I remember well seeing older people through the years and thinking that
those older people were years away from me and that winter was so far off
that I could not fathom it or imagine fully what it would be like.

But, here it is...my friends are retired and getting grey...they move slower
and I see an older person now. Some are in better and some worse shape than
I am...but, I see the great change...Not like the ones that I remember who
were young and vibrant...but, like me, their age is beginning to show and we
are now those older folks that we used to see and never thought we'd be.

And so...now I enter into this new season of my life unprepared for all the
aches and pains and the loss of strength and ability to go and do things
that I wish I had done but never did!! But, at least I know that though the
winter has come, and I'm not sure how long it will last...this I know, that
when it's over on this earth...it's not over. A new adventure will begin!
Yes, I have regrets. There are things I wish I hadn't done...things I
should have done, but indeed, there are many things I'm happy to have done.
It's all in a lifetime.

So, if you're not in your winter yet...let me remind you, that it will
be here faster than you think. Whatever you would like to accomplish in your
life, please do it quickly! Don't put things off too long!! Life goes by
quickly. Do what you can today, as you can never be sure whether this is
your winter or not! You have no promise that you will see all the seasons
of your life...so, live for today and say all the things that you want your
loved ones to remember...and hope that they appreciate and love you for all
the things that you have done for them in all the years past!!

"Life" is a gift to you. The way you live your life is your gift to
those who come after. Make it a fantastic one.
LIVE IT WELL! ENJOY TODAY!
DO SOMETHING FUN! BE HAPPY ! HAVE A GREAT DAY!
Remember "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold and silver."
LIVE HAPPY IN 2020! LASTLY, CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING: TODAY IS THE
OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE. SO - ENJOY
THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.

~Your kids are becoming you......but your grandchildren are perfect!
~Going out is good.. Coming home is better! ~You forget names.... But
it's OK because other people forgot they even knew you!!! ~You realize
you're never going to be really good at anything.... Especially golf.
~The things you used to care to do, you no longer care to do, but you really
do care that you don't care to do them anymore. ~You sleep better on a
lounge chair with the TV blaring than in bed. It's called "pre-sleep".

~You miss the days when everything worked with just an "ON" and "OFF"
switch.. ~You tend to use more 4 letter words ... "what?"..."when?"...
~Now that you can afford expensive jewelry, it's not safe to wear it
anywhere. ~You notice everything they sell in stores is "sleeveless"?!!!
~What used to be freckles are now liver spots. ~Everybody whispers.
~You have 3 sizes of clothes in your closet.... 2 of which you will never
wear again. ~~~But Old is good in some things: Old Songs, Old movies,
and best of all, OLD FRIENDS!!

Stay well, "OLD FRIEND!" Send this on to other "Old Friends!" and
that tells what kind of life you have lived.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When you get that underarm flap when flexing your arm in your strong man pose.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember spot lighting Jack's and the fun it used to be. Once in awhile when you shot one that sucker would jump 3 feet straight up in the air and come down deader than dead.
We always had old hunting cars and one time there was 3 of us out spotting. Driver, light guy, and shooter. Driver stopped and light guy held the light on the rabbit and the shooter shot at the rabbit. Shooter missed but that darn rabbit kept running right at us and shooter kept shooting and light guy opened his door and got out and was standing outside holding the light. Anyway shooter never hit the rabbit and that sucker ran right into the opened door and into the car. He was running in the car and scratching everything and would just run in circles, front and back seat. We finally all baled out and that sucker jumped out. Thought he was the Jack from hell. We laughed about that for years.
Back then we would get .10-.25 for each Jack. When they were breeding you would turn a corner on a section and seemed like that section was just filled with Jacks. Those were the days!
Do remember hearing stories back then where a guy would have the gun laying over the roof of the car shooting and a passenger on the other side would get out and stand up and get shot in the head. Don't know if it was true and probably wasn't but seemed like every so many years you would hear a story like that.
Like the stories of the game warden getting a fish up his rear end. Heard that many times too.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll pass on some of the stories out shining Jacks lol. I did like how they ran into the headlights. Chasing them down then when blasted them sob's would slide and tumble 10-20 yards when at full speed and icy. Head over heals wipe outs were funny too. If only we had videos of all of it like kids nowadays......

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76