Weasel

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking to get this mounted. Anyone have one? Like to see picture if you do. 20180106_092824.jpg

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't let the gf find out. I'm not a trapper but I don't think that is a legal device for trapping. They will take it. Just ask guy who caught the kitty in a snare.:eek::;:stirthepot

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this a least weasle or short tail? congrats on the fine catch !

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is smaller then what I expected out of the greater weasel, but due to the black tail tip I believe that's what it is. Pretty cool little critter with the miniature fangs. Taxidermist I use is going to research the freeze dry method for me. He had a guy he worked with for years that did a great job on the ones I had seen before. Unfortunately that guy doesn't do them anymore.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
For some reason long forgotten, I always thought an ermine was a color phase of a weasel?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
For some reason long forgotten, I always thought an ermine was a color phase of a weasel?

I thought an Ermine was a weasel as well. In reading on size ect. I'd have to say what I caught is an Ermine.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, an ermine is another name for the stoat version of the weasel. I suppose not knowing the fine splitting of hairs that split the stoat from the least and/or long-tailed versions, I've always just referred to the white coloration as the ermine. Which is most likely incorrect to the purists.

I found this online:
http://animals.mom.me/types-weasels-6460.html

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. weasels and all their cousins (skunk being the exception) have always been some of my favorite animals. I had a ferret quite a few years ago, interesting critter to say the least.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was wondering about that, A couple-three hundred ?
I checked with Dakota Taxadermy ten years ago and they wanted $600 for a weasel mount. Granted their prices are always high. It might have even been more than ten years ago.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
ermine = short tailed weasle in its winter phase (white), or atleast that is my understand, least weasles dont have black tiped tails and are much smaller even than the short tailed and are a rarer catch in ND.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75