2018 winter Olympics

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone been up close to a ski jump ? Took a tour of Olympic Park in Utah and stood at the top looking down , Those guys have balls . Many years ago I heard that a native went down the jump south of Devils lake in a cardboard box and died, Don't know if its true or not.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I don't .

- - - Updated - - -

What's the story on that beast ?

- - - Updated - - -

3469285031667ffd117c8e1d6b69aabc--ski-jumping-devils-lake-north-dakota.jpg

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
As far as NK goes i think there are alot of American bureaucrats worried that the cooler the heads get between the two Koreas the less they can tell us to be terrified about the what-ifs. Anyway like a few of you I just can't care about figure skating. I know it the biggest ticket and I know I'm not nearly talented enough to do stuff that difficult but sorry, no thanks. Sort of the same reason you won't find me attending a musical unless it's the vegas version but still not likely. Curling is neat, hockey is too. Skiing and jumping is pretty badass but alot of it feels like they are getting too good for entertainment. Last night one guy said a skiier got docked becase their elbow was in the wrong spot on a jump, my brain immediately thought this has more rules than a boardgame and I turned back to curling. 5 min later me and the kids ended up in a brawl on the floor and no one looked at the tv again for the rest of the night. I wish one network couldn't swallow up all the rights so channels can air whatever they want at any time, especially live.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
surprising. but, not ironic.
Ironic can mean coincidental or unexpected. So in this case, since we're the country best known for guns and shooting sports, Lunk’s use of ironic is appropriate. Anyway, GO USA!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ding ding ding that is correct fly carpin way to go here is your ribbon stock-photo--d-illustration-of-first-place-blue-ribbon-over-white-background-64783006.jpg and make sure to try the black lab on toast before you leave :;:cheers

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
it's a nice filler in feb every 4 years... i used to like the "amateur" aspect when i was younger - till i learned the ways of the world...

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, let's just trust Kim Jong's sister....it's a measure of good will! The sight of her sitting directly behind Pence at the opening ceremony made me shiver......do we really think all is good because the Olympics are going on? Yikes......then again, I'm not secret service

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Count me in as another who doesn't like ice-skating unless it's a race or a hockey game. Pretty much don't like any sport where judges determine the outcome. Give me a race where the fastest one wins, doesn't matter how they get across the finish line, just get across first. Within the rules of course.

It's 6am and I'm watching short track racing. That's a fast sport and a wreck would happen at any moment.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, let's just trust Kim Jong's sister....it's a measure of good will! The sight of her sitting directly behind Pence at the opening ceremony made me shiver......do we really think all is good because the Olympics are going on? Yikes......then again, I'm not secret service

27654499_1706906346046836_1203534546050060837_n.jpg

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those guys on the slope style snowboarding get after it. They either hit a huge trick or wreck, nothing safe. I like it.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
figure skating can kiss my you know what....I don't understand the scoring..but last nights telecast was pretty much all that...freaking figure shit skate...aarrggghhhh...heard one of our skaters did a triple axel whatever that is..but it didn't mount to crap to get us gold...and then there that...I think we are getting shafted..we are all ready behind in metals...and norway is ripping it...go figure....always going to be corruption some where. then theres the guy that wipe out in the cross country event??? was last......then he won it by a mile I mean he was waayy ahead of second place....one word steriods or PED

Last edited:

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
No I don't .

- - - Updated - - -

What's the story on that beast ?

Found this:

http://www.skisprungschanzen.com/EN/Ski+Jumps/USA-United+States/ND-North+Dakota/Devils+Lake/1584/

Comment from the webpage: "My dad Ira Manley took us there to watch . A lot of them had broken legs and arms. They took them to Devils Lake for repair. It was a lot of fun, and there was a lot of great skiers, Mostly from Norway Great area,"

http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com/2016/09/03/the-abandoned-skyline-skiway-devils-lake/

tumblr_inline_mqvecoSaf11qz4rgp.jpg

tumblr_inline_mqveeiERNB1qz4rgp.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Davey do you remember the name of the guy that the ski jump was made for

Casper Oimeon and Peder Falstad?

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Some of the events have been mentioned but nobody has commented on the opening ceremony. Impressive in my opinion. The light show technology was something to see. Over a thousand drones flying in a formations of a snowboarder and then switching to the Olympic rings as they come down the ski slopes. One of the most impressive opening ceremonies I've ever watched. Wonder what they will do for a closing ceremony to top the beginning?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
little known factoid... rhonda rousey's dad broke his tailbone on that hill sledding i believe. dealt with immense pain for a long time afterwards. i think it (the pain) eventually played a role in his suicide.

also... they need to tear that thing down. its a serious liability for whoever still owns that hill.

Last edited:

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After watching it for a few days I would have guessed it was being held in ND with all the snow and winds of 20+. It was kind of funny watching the 100lb women try and do snowboard jumps into it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75