Favorite fishing rod/reel

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I still use my rod from when I was a kid in the 50s.

Bristol rod and I assume it is aluminum with a cork handle and a Ocean City #970 reel.
Serve me well over the years. Still have the same string on it.
However, as I look it over at this moment I will need to do some repair work on the reel and maybe a new string.
Do have a shakespear (just need to find it in all the junk my mother kept from back then) reel from then and maybe put that one on.

Hope to fish more this summer and catch a bunch of bullheads like back then to put in some ones water hole. db

By the way still have my bamboo pole from back then but have no confidents in it to catch a fish.

Last edited:

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
6' 3" Custom rod ML-Fast 1/8 - 3/8 oz with hickory handle and Pfluger patriarch #25 reel. Green and gold inserts on handle, gold guides, and green and gold thread - Go Bison!

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Custom 6'3" built to match my boat, paired with a static, it just works. Next in line would be a St. Croix legend extreme paired with a stradic. Love my glomis' s paired with pfluger Supremes but find the sit back to the other 2.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am about to win a nice fantasy football playoff pool and am thinking about buying my first “nice” rod. It makes me excited for soft water!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any rod that has a big walleye on the end of it. Right now a 6 3 st. Croix mf. Been looking for something a little more high end. But would love to try one before I buy.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the high end CI4s and such are probably still good. But I was a Symetre guy for many years - still love my old ones. But that midclass range of Shimano went downhill real bad. Reel bad... ha ha ha.

Once I tried high end Patriarchs and such I switched and never looked back.

I occasionally go to Scheels and handle high end Shimanos and Daiwas etc with intent to buy/try but they don’t compare to Pflugers in solid feel and lightness somehow. Hard to explain.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get what your saying. Wonder what Rolex quality Stella or Steez reels are like... I probably don't want to know.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never has the pleasure of fishing with anything "high-end quality". I did have a fenwick rod i thought was alright, but mostly just gander or scheels combos. With 4 kids all my stuff gets broken anyways.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56