Reels

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After feeding through the go to rod and reel thread I got wondering. Everyone is talking about their rods and why they like them and just list the reel. I know some of these reels are spendy but was just curious of why everyone likes that particular reel.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the price, a president is tough to beat. I have several that work great after a few summers of guiding. I have some shimanos I like as well, but for $100 vs $60, I don't really think they're better.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the patriarcks by fluger because they are light match with my Loomis great they are 200 bucks but I also have 200$ rod I do have a few presidents but they are a bit heavier I like to match the price of my rods same price for rod and reel no reason I guess just what I do

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel like I have tried just about every spinning reel under $100 and there are 2 things they all have in common. They work great out of the box and they will last a maximum of 2 seasons for me. I cast....ALOT. I used to be a Shimano guy only because their bail springs never break, however, use it long enough and either the bail will no longer close on the reel turn or it will start making a grinding noise when you are reeling. I bought 2 Pflueger President XTs last summer and both have the same problem, once out of 20 casts, the line will get stuck between the line roller and the bail. Just dumb. Had an Abu Garcia reel that was awesome so I bought another one but a more expensive model, didn't get even 2 seasons out of that one. So, I am not happy with any of them. I support the theory to buy less expensive reels and toss them when they break down. Expensive reels don't last longer anyways.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Another question I thought I would throw out there. Does anyone use a baitcast reel for pitching jigs?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Baitcasting reels are more about the weight of the lure than the type of lure. Heavy jigs, say 1/2 oz and up work well when chucked with a baitcaster. Lighter jigs tend to backlash into a rats nest when you try to cast them. Which is why bass boys use baitcasters when using those big heavy cover jigs. Spinning reels excel for lighter jigs when casting. If I spent lots of time on Sak or DL pitching big paddle tails on 3/8ths or larger jig heads, I'd lean towards a baitcaster. Less line twist and I can control the cast with my thumb and put the jig in a coffee cup if I want to.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Phlueger = Honda
Shimano=Toyota
Diawa =Ford
Abu Garcia= Chevy
Quantum zebco = dodge
Lew's= Subaru
Okuma= Kia

Who did I miss

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another question I thought I would throw out there. Does anyone use a baitcast reel for pitching jigs?

It's strange. I pitch cranks on a bait caster a lot, even #5's. But, for some reason, even running 1/4-3/8oz jigs with 4-5" paddle-tails, I throw them on a spinning set-up, for no really good reason.

The old white/wood crank-knob Shimano Stradics made in Japan were a BARGAIN @ ~$100/ea. You can't buy a $250 reel today that's as good, and certainly not better. BASTARDS!!

I used to never even consider anything other than a Shimano Stradic. They were smooth to reel, had fantastic drag, the bail didn't wear out, and they required virtually no maintenance. The newer Malaysian manufactured Stradics have me looking at other brands/models but I've yet to find anything I'm satisfied with as a true replacement.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like the older white stradic a lot, the older pfluger presidents for the money cant be beat. Also have a couple pfluger supremes and are nice for the money.

bowcarp

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just set up 2 pfluger president 6920's on 2 of my ice poles , so far I'm liking them at $35 apiece figured why not considering the 2 reels I replaced should of been replaced years ago

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used pfluger,daiwa and a few others not worthy to mention all function well the first year but after that its all down hill from bails that don't work to drags that get jerky to feeling like you have a fish on just reeling them. I do alot of casting with cranks in current and that will kill reels the only reel that keeps on going for me is Shimano Saro. shimano in general for me has been the (better) reels.

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently found out that I could order reels directly off China from ebay very cheap. They are also surprisingly good quality. I realized that a lot of companies here buy these then stamp their name on them and overcharge is. Only downfall is these reels can take a month to get here. There is a wide variety of reels available so there’s something for everybody.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own quantum tour edition reels it's disappointing you can't buy replacement plastic bushings that wear out. Everything has parts that wear out faster then others it would be nice to be able to buy just the littlest plastic part to make it new again. Solid aluminum titanium coating, titanium skeleton handles, magnetic trip bail, and 12 ss bearings
;:;banghead

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my pfleuger supreme xt's, they are light and can cast or rip jigs all day long with them and the drag is excellent. I have a patriarch and its a good reel and if I hadn't gotten a smoking deal on it I wouldn't have it ($80) but it is really no better than a supreme xt... I have a newer model shimanio stradic as well and I hate that it does not have an anti reverse switch (i use it to release my bait when hooked onto my rod)... I do run a few presidents as well but there is a significant difference between the feel and weight of those to the supreme xt's, I run these on my bottom bouncing rods because I am not holding them all the time.

note: you can find a supreme xt on amazon for $110 almost any time and scheels will price match it, you can sometimes find them as low as $80 on amazon or in the cabelas bargin cave

- - - Updated - - -

Phlueger = Honda
Shimano=Toyota
Diawa =Ford
Abu Garcia= Chevy
Quantum zebco = dodge
Lew's= Subaru
Okuma= Kia

Who did I miss

i would agree with this ranking, add 13 fishing in there someplace near Lew's for most of their reel's, maybe they are a tohatsu, the new freefall and inline reels are really nice and they do have some killer bait casters from what I've seen from the bass crowd, 13's spinning line up needs help imo and the drag system isn't as good

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
does the Patriarch have less tendency to let Nano slip under the bail roller than the Supreme?

I have both and never thought to isolate if one was better/worse than the other.

irritating but doesn't seem to eff up the line

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a newer model shimanio stradic as well and I hate that it does not have an anti reverse switch (i use it to release my bait when hooked onto my rod)

I'm assuming the switch that allows you to back-reel. No more little switch just under the spool on the bottom/front of the reel? Must've changed fairly recently. I've taken advantage of a few closeouts and haven't bought a new stradic in 3-4yrs.

RustyTackleBox

Founding Member
Founding Member
does the Patriarch have less tendency to let Nano slip under the bail roller than the Supreme?

I have both and never thought to isolate if one was better/worse than the other.

irritating but doesn't seem to eff up the line

I'm not sure on nano, no problems with it using power pro slick 8... 15lb

and SDMF you are correct I spoke with a guy in a bait shop that was all about shimano and they said they had gotten rid of it because their drag system is so good, I don't know I still like my switch

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pitching cranks and swimbaits on Devils Lake,I actually prefer a front drag Shimano Spirex,just dont like flipping the bail with the other hand.For vertical jigging definetely instant anti reverse,finally have to replace my Diawa tournament SS,would like to putting on the old white stradic,more than likely will be a President or a bump or two up,but then again the Penn Battles are pretty nice too!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76